GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

First Time MB Buyer - GLK Qs

Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
First Time MB Buyer - GLK Qs

Hi All,

I'll be purchasing a used MB GLK in the next 30-60 days. My questions/comments are:

- Can you really notice the design changes that took place in 2013 (?). I can't see any when looking at adverts.

- Is 4Matic really helpful in snow or lots of rain? I recall driving a 4-cylinder Honda Civic without AWD in the middle of a bad snowstorm from Aspen to Denver and while I won't be doing that again, had no problems getting down the pass in the worst driving condition I experienced

- I'm open to model years but I do believe a BlueTec 250 would be more preferable for me, not only gas consumption but environment considerations. For those that drive the Bluetec 250, does anyone have issues with their vehicles?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm really open on purchase and looking at 2011 to 2015 with anything up to 50k miles on it, hopefully spend no more than $30k.

My priorities are nice driving condition but also something that is hassle-free and won't take a lot to maintain. I'd love to sport it up just a bit, though!

Btw, which used model year would you guys buy?

Thanks

Last edited by eloshine; 08-12-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by eloshine
- Is 4Matic really helpful in snow or lots of rain? I recall driving a 4-cylinder Honda Civic without AWD in the middle of a bad snowstorm from Aspen to Denver and while I won't be doing that again, had no problems getting down the pass in the worst driving condition I experienced
Front wheel drive is about as good in moderate snow as all wheel drive. Yes, in answer to your question.

- I'm open to model years but I do believe a BlueTec 250 would be more preferable for me, not only gas consumption but environment considerations. For those that drive the Bluetec 250, does anyone have issues with their vehicles?
Love mine. Never an issue with anything at near 30K miles. First complaint I have is with Navigation on trip I'm on currently. Have gotten into several places where destination "is not on mapped roads". Older areas in Weiser, Idaho, Belgrade, Montana, and one today in El Paso, Texas. Get instruction, "proceed to highlighted route!" Yes, but how?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm really open on purchase and looking at 2011 to 2015 with anything up to 50k miles on it, hopefully spend no more than $30k.
Doubt you can get a good GLK250 for $30K right now, at least not in my home area, but that's what I'd go for.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome and good luck finding what you want to buy
Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I wouldn't compare a FWD Civic to a RWD GLK. Not saying a RWD GLK can't get you through snow, but without snow tires, it will disappoint you. Besides, I've never seen a 250 in RWD - all have been 4MATIC.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Having owned several Audi's with Quattros and currently owning A6 Quattro. I am more impressed with the 4matic on my wife's GLK than her previous Q5 Quattro. I wouldn't worry about snow unless you replace the all season tires with some sort of crazy low profile summers. If you are concerned about snow, I've used snow tires on a Lexus ISF which surprising worked well. So you can have a set of snow tires for the winter.