GLK 250 Bluetec Preventative & Proactive for used purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML320 W/Skyview Roof, 2013 GLK250, 2004 BMW 325Xi
Talking GLK 250 Bluetec Preventative & Proactive for used purchase

Folks,
I just bought a GLK 250 Bluetec off lease through a broker, as the dealership could not find the right combo of miles and features. I am so far very happy after the first month or so, and want to make sure she lasts me as long as my last Mercedes. My previous is a 1999 ML320 with the rare Skyview top, that now has >160k miles, and is still running and drives beautifully. She is now my summer car and I drive her daily in summer, top working and all. I had all fluids changed in her at 40k miles, including transmission, brake, steering, and Anti-freeze. I am looking for info on what I should change on an off -lease, driven in the Southwest and West for 2 years, that would help extend life. I also know very little about diesel, Bluetec, or particular concerns of that type of engine.

I have purchased a refill of adblue for home, and watched the service folks fill it, so I know how.

I cleaned the area around the adblue fill hole in the trunk as the previous services spilled a very small amount and left residue which I did want near the electronics.

I am looking for information on whether the Bluetec has a DPF, and whether there is service to it?

Does anyone have a recommendation or experience with specific current synthetic diesel oils and their suitability for the 250 Bluetec engine?

How often Should I change the oil, I did mine on the ML every 6 months only with synthetic, regardless of the miles indicated on service interval which were always still left.

Recommendations on tires for the GLK 250, since there is no spare, it has 19" Run Flats which limits options too much IMHO. Are there folks running non run flat as my service teams seems to think is better? Has anyone run 19" Run flats that are superior in the Snow and Ice? I live in Upstate and we have between 80-120" snow a year. If I choose not to have run-flats, should I get a vulcanizing tire patch kit to keep in the car (I already have powered air pump)?

Anything else I should know getting into the world of MB diesels or diesels period that the experienced can give me would be most helpful.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
My wife's Non diesel needs oil changed at every 10,000 miles. So about once a year according her driving habits. Diesel cars I've owned previously need 10-15k intervals. The diesel do not need oil change as frequently. Most good synthics are good. They are pretty much the same.

As for the tires, you might want to go with the Continental DWS06. Outstanding all season tires. If you are worried about extreme snow, then dedicated winters are best. The DWS06 can last up to 50k miles.

Congrats on your new purchase.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I drive 10k miles between oil changes. If you do your own maint then look at the oil spec for the engine. Mercedes doesn't use as far as I know anything but synthetics these days. I don't see a need for changing oil sooner unless you doing a lot of urban driving.

Run flats have their disadvantages (mostly cost since its not recommended to repair them after a flat)but since there is little if any storage for a spare in the car I have decided to stay with them when I have to buy new rubber.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML320 W/Skyview Roof, 2013 GLK250, 2004 BMW 325Xi
Well, I found the perfect tires for my GLK, since they are run flat, and very cool looking. Now I have to get Michelin to make them in the size we need.

Tweels should be the standard fit for cars with no spare!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
I have never used a run flat on an SUV before. But for a previous Audi A6, I did try them and was very disappointed with the handling. I understand the two cars are totally different, but I am always pleasantly surprised with the outstanding handling of my wife's GLK. Do some research on the Continentals, very good for noise and comfort, yet you feel connected to the road. Also they claim they will pay for towing if you need it due to a flat tire.