GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Anybody have problems with the OEM continentals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
Anybody have problems with the OEM continentals?

At 7k miles one of the front tires had a bubble. The local continental tire shop replaced it and prorated the amount since I did not purchase road hazard warranty from new car MB dealer. After filling up gas recently I noticed a ripple very slightly to see. Hopefully it is the new replacement continental tires but at 12k miles I might have to replace all 4s because it's a 4matic. Never had any issue with my escalates dueler alenzas 22' at 45 aspect ratio or my Range Rover Sports's continental cross contact.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLS550, MB ML350, LEXUS RX350, LEXUS SC430, LEXUS GX460, LEXUSGX470
Here's my experience. It appears that sidewall bubbles (that is, failures) with Continental Tires (e.g., ProContact, etc.) are a known problem that both MB and Continental ignores. I had a 2012 CLS with about 5000 miles and no rim damage. A very large bubble developed. The dealership curtly denied the claim (claiming "road hazzard"). I explained that normal wear and tear on a car subjects it to cement cracks, pot holes, etc. And here there was no rim damage. I was so irritated, I left the car at the dealership and terminated the lease, bringing an arbitration claim which is now pending against MB. I welcome anyone with bubbles on their Continental Tires to contact me. sfeldman@feldlaw.com.

To make matters worse, I then bought another CLS550 (2015) and the same thing happened at 300 miles. The dealership denied the warranty claim. I amended the arbitration demand to include this matter as well. I checked out the Continental ProContact tire at a couple of tire stores; the response was that Continental tires have known failures on their side walls. Apparently, its construction relative to other tires makes the tire susceptible to bubbles/failures. Where I come from, we call this a manufacturing defect.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
It is unfortunate that tore manufactuer's do not offer Road Hazard for "MOE" tires they supply to car manufacturer's - including MB - Road Hazard becomes a "option" from those same Tire Manufacturer's or from Tire retailers for replacement sets. Then to top all that off - Tire Manufacturer's Road Hazard coverage is dang/dang/dang hard to claim thru any dealer or tire retailers - Tire Manufacturer's are assh*les..

On the MB side - for what it's worth - worth a call to MB Owenrs Support to give them the facts of your situation - which starts a 2nd path with MB corp management (800) 367-6372 during normal business hrs Mon-Fri - morning calls have quickest connect time - good to have MB Service invoice and VIN# in front of you.

Keep the beat !
Old 08-23-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLS550, MB ML350, LEXUS RX350, LEXUS SC430, LEXUS GX460, LEXUSGX470
MB corporate was non responsive. I had made a couple of calls/emails to them and to MB Finance. On the 2012 I even had the extended "First Class" warranty. How much time do I have to commit to a tire!!! Especially when this is a known problem. My solution: go back to Lexus. After having two of my three MB's with tire problems with the dealer and corporate telling me to "go away" I'm happy to go back to Lexus which faces its problems heads on.

At the end of the day, I have to conclude that this is how MB deals with warranty issues. I've moved on. Fortunately, there is an arbitration proceeding where MB can be called to respond to ignoring known problems. Anyone with a Continental tire bubble issue - please contact me.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
It seems that after 2011 MB went away from Pirelli particularly on the 19" rims. I have 20's on a 2010 with Pirelli's and got over 30K on my first set and still working on my 2nd set with over 65K and never had a problem.

I guess that someone has to carry the torch best of luck with your arbitration or class action suit if you are looking for joiners. Try posting on other MB forums if you have not already.

Now I know to stay clear of Conti's going forward.