GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Rain sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Rain sensor

Where is, and how does the rain sensor sense rain?
Also why does this site keep signing me off even though the Remember Me box is checked?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by 420tee
Also why does this site keep signing me off even though the Remember Me box is checked?
The rain sensor is located behind the rear view mirror. If you look from the outside at the windshield where the rear view mirror is attached you can see a small looking lense. That is the rain sensor. When something passes the sensor, it triggers a response that it might have rained and the windshield wipers are activated. You must turn on the windshield wipers to the first setting to activate the sensors. They are not on automatically due to people might take their cars into car washing machines and etc which would damage the wipers. Sometimes shadows can trick the sensor to thinking it rained and the wipers engage. When the amount of rain triggering the sensor increases, that adjusts the wiper speed in conjunction with the speed you also travel. This is pretty much standard and haven't changed much in the past decade...

As for your login issues, maybe your settings in your browser refreshes each time you kill the program?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Inyoury
The rain sensor is located behind the rear view mirror. If you look from the outside at the windshield where the rear view mirror is attached you can see a small looking lense. That is the rain sensor. When something passes the sensor, it triggers a response that it might have rained and the windshield wipers are activated. You must turn on the windshield wipers to the first setting to activate the sensors. They are not on automatically due to people might take their cars into car washing machines and etc which would damage the wipers. Sometimes shadows can trick the sensor to thinking it rained and the wipers engage. When the amount of rain triggering the sensor increases, that adjusts the wiper speed in conjunction with the speed you also travel. This is pretty much standard and haven't changed much in the past decade...

As for your login issues, maybe your settings in your browser refreshes each time you kill the program?
Thanks. Don't know enough about computers to change anything. I'll just reconnect when it tosses me off.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
Originally Posted by 420tee

Make sure you have set your browser to remember your password for the forum. In Firefox click on:

preferences
security
check remember passwords

In Chrome the following order

Chrome
Preferences
advanced settings (at page bottom of preferences)
offer to save passwords (make sure box is checked)

Internet Explorer,

your on your own.

Last edited by LesF; 10-04-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Rain sensing wiper sensors work by emitting a beam of light onto the inside surface windshield which, when dry, reflects fully back into the sensor. When water droplets collect on the windshield, some of the light gets deflected away from the sensor.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 GLK 350
Rain Sensor

Rain Sensor- A optical sensor attached to the top center of the windshield. It uses infrared light beamed at a 45-degree angle into the windshield which reflects back — if the glass is wet, less light returns to the sensor, and the windshield wipers wipers turn on.
http://www.abbeyroweautoglass.com/wi...d-replacement/

I own a Auto Glass shop in Austin, TX. Let me know if you have any other questions about glass!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 GLK 350
Camera on Windshield

It is a multi-purpose camera controlling may features.
PRE-SAFE
Active Lane Keeping Assist
Adaptive Highbeam Assist
Night View Assist PLUS
Magic Body Control
Brake Assist Plus

I wrote in detail on how each system works.
http://www.abbeyroweautoglass.com/wi...mercedes-benz/
Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
In some markets you can get an option that "reads" the speed limit signs and displays the speed limit. Wish I had it...

Traffic Sign Assist:

"A camera on the inside of the windscreen records speed limit signs, for example at the edge of the road, on overhead gantries or in roadworks. The data is cross-referenced against the information in the navigation system and can be displayed in both the instrument cluster as well as in the navigation system's map view."

Originally Posted by AndrewOde
It is a multi-purpose camera controlling may features.
PRE-SAFE
Active Lane Keeping Assist
Adaptive Highbeam Assist
Night View Assist PLUS
Magic Body Control
Brake Assist Plus

I wrote in detail on how each system works.
http://www.abbeyroweautoglass.com/wi...mercedes-benz/
Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
If you actually drive within 10 mph of the speed limit, I would mount an old tire on the back of the car. In the NY metro area it seems everyone drives at least 10 to 20 mph over the posted except in school areas. ON 287 or 95 you will have someone about 6 inches from your rear bumper in any lane.
One problem with autonomous cars, is that if they actually obey the speed laws, it will take twice as long to get anywhere, and the spacing between cars will have to be about 3 feet to get everyone on the road.