GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK 250 Run Flat Tire Alternative (Slime Sealant)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec 4Matic
GLK 250 Run Flat Tire Alternative (Slime Sealant)

We've just passed 30,000 miles in our 2014 GLK. The car has been amazing. Completely trouble free: on road, off road, winter, summer. We love it.

The Dunlop run flat tires, on the other hand, have been an achilles heal from the start. Hard, loud, puncture prone, and quick to wear. After searching high and low for good, affordable, long lasting tires we are now abandoning run flats altogether. I'll be heading back over to Micheline Tires, which have served me well on all other vehicles I've owned. I started using the X-Ice II last winter and will go with the LTX for the rest of the year beginning this week. The item that finally gave me the confidence to leave run-flats behind without a spare, is the new Slime Sealant, which I came across doing some research on consumer reports.

While I haven't used it--knock on wood--the new Slime kit (Slime Safety Spare) is plug and play, with the push of just one button to get back on the road. Despite the unappealing green color, the kit uses TPMS safe latex and fits perfectly into the small tray in the back just right of the stock HK stereo upgrade (it does need to be face down to fit).

I couldn't find anyone who carried the new kit in store, but I found the kit online for about $45 using google shopping.

If I'm unlucky enough to need it, I'll report back on how well this works in the event of a flat.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Doesn't that stuff foul the tire pressure sensors?

I'm sure it is great in an emergency, but would it require replacement of the tire pressure sensor?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 PM

2016 GLE 450
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
Doesn't that stuff foul the tire pressure sensors?

I'm sure it is great in an emergency, but would it require replacement of the tire pressure sensor?
I've heard the same thing but apparently there's a safe Slime product out there.

http://slime.com/188/products/18-oz-...trailer-10113/
Old 10-11-2015, 11:06 PM

GLK 250 Bluetec 4Matic
I haven't tested it, but I talked with two tire shops and did a bunch of reading including consumer reports. Most sealants will ruin a tire pressure sensor (Fix-a-flat brand, for example). Supposedly this one will not. It appears to be the same basic material (latex based) as the MB kit that is used in Canada in lieu of run flats.

Only twice in nearly three decades of driving have I needed to repair a tire roadside; both times it was when I was pushing a tire to get a few extra miles before it got replaced. Most times a nail or small cut leaks slow enough to get to a shop and get the repair done off the rim. If I need to replace one or fewer sensors per round of tires, then I still come out ahead on total cost over the life of a set of tires. I'm willing to live with that risk.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 AM

2015 GLK350
Here is the OEM Mercedes pump and sealant. It fits in the cutouts with the rest of the tools.

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2966579/
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 PM

2014 GLK250
Great info. thank you. I too are ditching my run flats....
Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
While the sealant may gunk up TPMS seonsors under other circumstances, AFAIK the Bluetec GLKs do not come with TPMS sensors. They use the ABS modules to detect a flat. When you select the Tire Pressure menu, can you see the individual tire pressures in the center dial or just that the system is active?

Even if you have the TPMS sensors and you get a flat and you have to use the sealant, new OEM MB TPMS sensors from the dealer were CAD $80 each for my C63. Hardly an issue.

Yes, the run-flats suck. Get regular SUV tires and the OEM MB sealant and inflator kit that fits in the car.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by Diabolis
While the sealant may gunk up TPMS seonsors under other circumstances, AFAIK the Bluetec GLKs do not come with TPMS sensors. They use the ABS modules to detect a flat. When you select the Tire Pressure menu, can you see the individual tire pressures in the center dial or just that the system is active?

Even if you have the TPMS sensors and you get a flat and you have to use the sealant, new OEM MB TPMS sensors from the dealer were CAD $80 each for my C63. Hardly an issue.

Yes, the run-flats suck. Get regular SUV tires and the OEM MB sealant and inflator kit that fits in the car.
The ABS modules are only used in Canada i believe. The USA has TPMS.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM

2015 GLK 250 o3 clk 430 09 c 300
For $200 I used to drive with a spare.A slime kit does not work if the tire is cut.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Gt. Dane
The ABS modules are only used in Canada i believe. The USA has TPMS.
That is quite possible - but it also means MB put discrete TPMS sensors in cars equipped with run-flat tires from the factory, which is IMHO rather frivoulous. Can someone stateside with a Bluetec GLK and the run-flats confirm that they can see individual tire pressures in the cluster (not that I don't believe Gt. Dane)?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oscaar12
For $200 I used to drive with a spare.A slime kit does not work if the tire is cut.
That is true. The sealant only works for punctures that would be otherwise repairable by your mechanic. If the sidewall (or tread) is cut, it won't work.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:43 PM

2014 GLK 250
That is quite possible - but it also means MB put discrete TPMS sensors in cars equipped with run-flat tires from the factory, which is IMHO rather frivoulous. Can someone stateside with a Bluetec GLK and the run-flats confirm that they can see individual tire pressures in the cluster (not that I don't believe Gt. Dane)?
2014 250 in NY and yes I can see individual tire pressures via TPMS in the cluster.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Gt Dane and emtskibum - I learned somethign new today!

Using a sealant may foul up the TPMS sensor depending on the sealant (AFAIK the MB stuff is latex-based and just washes off, but the Slime will more than likely kill it). However, if it is a repairable puncture and most of them are, then you're looking at the cost of the tire repair and either a new can of MB sealant or possibly a new TPMS sensor, so say $200 all in at a MB dealer.

A run-flat tire on the other hand that has actually been run flat is likely to have sidewall damage and usually needs to be replaced (some tire manufacturers don't allow run-flat tire repairs at all, while others allow a single repair only if the tire pressure has never dropped below 15 psi), so unless you noticed the low pressure warning right in front of a shop before the air had a chacne to escape, in all probablilty you'll need a new tire - or possibly two if the other one is worn more than 30% - at a cost of $400+ each. In other words, it's still much cheaper to foul up the TPMS sensor and/or replace the sealant canister.

A third option would be a $10 rope plug kit and a set of pliers and diagonal cutters. Again, there are no issues with using one for as long as the tire pressure never dropped below 15 psi or so, which would cause sidewall damage.

Lastly, if you have a set of winters on separate rims and are planning a long trip in the wilderness, then bringing one as a full-size spare makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:25 PM

2015 GLK350
My 2014 250 had individual pressures as does my 2015 350. Confirmed.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM

1999 ML320 W/Skyview Roof, 2013 GLK250, 2004 BMW 325Xi
My 2013 GLK 250 has TPMS, I just replaced them when I put on new tires. I chose Bridgestone Dueler Alenza HL Plus for my tires, and have put Slime, a normal vulcanizing tire repair kit and a compressor in the storage compartments of the car. These tires are hands down much better ride and much quieter than the limited choices for run flat, including the ones on the car when I bought it off lease. I know it has TMPS as well, as the driver display shows all four tire pressures, and needed to be recalibrated after tire installation.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250
If you want more choice in 19" run flats go to a 245/45/19 size.
Last I checked Tire Rack had 14 varieties, including snows.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:03 PM

GLK250 BT
The owners manual indicates that there are different systems, i.e. "Canada Only" and "USA only".
Old 11-13-2015, 06:44 PM

glk 250
I live in ohio usa and can see individual tire pressures on the screen above the steering wheel. I have a 2015 GLK 250. Love the diesel,35_42 mpg on 3800 miles.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250
2014 GLK 250 with 19" MOE Dunlops in PA. I have the individual pressure readout ,
(& in my '98 Vette), and glad to have it. Much handier than using a pressure gauge
when you have a problem.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:47 PM

2014 250 GLK
Sealant for regular tires on 2014 GLK 250

At just over 30,000 miles we just installed Michelin tires instead of the run flats that were on our 2014 GLK 250 when new. Costco who we bought the tires from and who installed them made a point of pointing out that the tires for this care were non-flats.which they did not sell. I asked them if they had not installed the Michelin tires then and she said "Oh Yes". So I said I knew we probably would need to buy a tire sealant as there was no room for a spare tire and then went on my way. We just called the MB dealership having read here that some of the formulations of sealants might damage the tire pressure sensors. After taking the VIN number and going away to consult the parts guy came back and said they had a sealant for $150 and we would need a compressor for $200. Actually we have a compressor but I wondered if anyone knows if we could save money on a sealant that is for all intents and purposes the same ($150 seems to be a lot).. Actually since we are very unlikely to do any long car trips (50 miles at the most) I also wonder if we even need to bother and you can see from the miles (5K a year as we live in a city) that we don't use the car much. Thanks for any suggestions of a sealant.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
I put on Michelin Premiers also , I just carry an extra miniature compressor , the batteries in the sensors wear out requiring sensor replacement ,(I believe ) so if you need Flat Fix it’s Probably soon going to be time for new sensors anyway at your vehicles age. You can’t win, they should have made the glk fit a REAL spare , not the miniature crap
Old 06-27-2020, 10:56 AM

2014 250 GLK
Originally Posted by Mmr1
I put on Michelin Premiers also , I just carry an extra miniature compressor , the batteries in the sensors wear out requiring sensor replacement ,(I believe ) so if you need Flat Fix it’s Probably soon going to be time for new sensors anyway at your vehicles age. You can’t win, they should have made the glk fit a REAL spare , not the miniature crap
Thanks or replying. I had not thought of the TMPS units needing changing periodically anyway. Is there a sealant that is better than others?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Yes, the best sealant are those tar strips that come with the tool to press them into the hole you find in your tire. Don't use spray sealant or foam, as it will also throw off the balance of the tire. We've had the Michelin Premier LTXs for almost 2 years now and 28k miles. Not one issue to report, although we carry a small air compressor and those tar strips, just in case.

Motor on in confidence.