GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Crossbar mounting position on rails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350
Crossbar mounting position on rails

Anyone know if there is a problem with mounting OEM MB crossbars with the rear crossbar mounted behind the middle attachment point for the roof rails (ie. More towards the back of the rails).

The install guide has both the front and back crossbars being mounted on the front half of the roof rails. Also the pics from the MB accessories guide has the bars mounted more forward. It seems like a roof box would be more stable with the crossbars mounted farther apart.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK 350
Where are the marking points for front and rear crossbar?
Is the front crossbar on B-pillar? If not, where is it? How about rear crossbar?
Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GLK 220 cdi
Originally Posted by mogulman
Anyone know if there is a problem with mounting OEM MB crossbars with the rear crossbar mounted behind the middle attachment point for the roof rails (ie. More towards the back of the rails).

The install guide has both the front and back crossbars being mounted on the front half of the roof rails. Also the pics from the MB accessories guide has the bars mounted more forward. It seems like a roof box would be more stable with the crossbars mounted farther apart.
No, there is no problem, you can do it, crossbars are adjustable, you can mount the rear crossbar behind middle attachment, I did the same few days ago...
Old 01-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350
Yeah..I have my mounted that way for a month now. Works great. Using the GLK350 every week for ski season with my Yakima rack. Car is great in the snow with the Blizzaks. I ended up having to get a small step stool though, because I'm too short to reach into the rack.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Marek_Norway
No, there is no problem, you can do it, crossbars are adjustable, you can mount the rear crossbar behind middle attachment, I did the same few days ago...
So anywhere on the rail is okay for the front and rear crossbars?
The installation guide said refer to mounting mark, but I don't see any mark on the rail or inside door frame.

Thanks.