GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New member with an odd problem

Old 11-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLK
New member with an odd problem

Hello all; I hope someone can help me with a minor but niggling problem.

About a month ago I got a warning to "check left rear sidemarker light." sure enough, the bulb was out. Also, the warning light came on each time I started the car at night (lights on "auto") or the light sensor which turns on the lights was otherwise triggered. The subject bulb was out each time I checked when the warning occurred.

Then, the problem inexplicably stopped. No more warnings; bulb working. I figured I'd wait until the 50k service to bring in the car, since this small bulb does not serve a vital function.

Then, the left low headlight beam went, with the requisite warning. Because this bulb is necessary, I brought in the car this morning for service. At the same time, I asked them to replace the left rear side marker bulb, since I was already there.

I left the dealership and went to my work garage. As soon as I went in, the left rear sidemarker warning came on again, and when I got out to look, the (new) bulb was out. At least the headlight is working.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Clearly, the problem is not the bulb. Also, do you think the two (side marker and headlight) could be related?

Thanks in advance-

-Alan
Old 11-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
A short in the wiring. Probably an open connection that didn't get soldered/connected properly. Should be easy for them to trace while still on warranty.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Or.. when the original side-marker light went out - if a DIY bulb replacement - can happen right size bulb but wrong pin positions on the bulb - which "cracks" the bulb holder resulting in loose contact with even the correbt bulb/correct pin position - almost ALL retail auto parts store replacement sidemarker bulbs are 12PM/6PM pin position and German bulb MB/Audi/Porsche pins are 12PM/4PM..

Keep the beat !