GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Run flat tires in Winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Run flat tires in Winter

I previously posted that I am on my second set of Run Flat tires replacing the Dunlop's that came with the 2014 Mercedes GLK 250 BT.
This is my first experience in Snow with Pirelli Pzero 235/50/R19.
As stated in the reviews "Not Suitable for Snow " it was a costly mistake on my part. The PZERO is a excellent 3 season tire..but next Winter I will purchase a separate set of Snow tires on acceptable rims through Tire RACK ,maybe..
Currently my back-up is sets Strap chains ,emergency measure if in "harms way" . The Original Dunlop Grandtreks all seasons MOE were not that great in snow either....Time will tell,in the future I will have more options to choose from.
The JONAS STORM was an experience ...There is still more winter weather to come.I will save my money & make a better decision next time...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250 Bluetec
I just bought a 2013 GLK250 and it came with Continental 4x4 contact (non-runflat) and they did OK with the recent storm Jonas...although I didn't go out till roads had at least been plowed. No major issues getting going but wasn't overly impressed with stopping (it was little more hairy a few times) and felt more lateral movement than I expected.

Tires tend to take several times in the snow to learn or finding a big empty parking lot to test out, so I am definitely looking for suggestions on a good all season tires. Tire rack has good info, but not all cars drive the same. Suggestions on what others have found is a huge help as I will most likely need new tires come next winter.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Appreciate the quick reply concerning run flat tires in winter
I have one more question that possibly a Canadian 2014 Mercedes Benz GLK 250 BT owner can answer :
What was the Stock Non-run flat tire that was sold with their vehicle .
Tire size ? Rim ...I already know that a spare kit is included with 17 inch wheel , Sealant & air compressor ..
I was contacted through info request that Tire Rack had a Tire/Rim Package using a 17 inch tire /rim.
I have been a bit confused why information is not available for further research..I checked Canadian Tire & was unable to figure out the various options available.
The European You-tube video show European owners are reluctant to use Winter tires are they brave the elements ...I can only speculate that USA Mercedes Benz owners
have forced to deal with Run Flat tires...
Mercedes Benz choice of 235/50/r19 size was a costly choice for 2014 GLK 250 owners...Companies like Bridgestone do not produce their branded Run flat tires in the 235/50/R-19 .DRIVE GUARD
In any case ,no matter how many methods used to upkeep my tires ..the life of these tires is short.I love the vehicle but the cost of replacement tires is what I do not enjoy...
The Laugh is "if you own a Mercedes-benz..Suck-it-up...? The Dealer's of tires love us...

Last edited by HONDO250; 01-27-2016 at 02:39 PM.