GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Upgrading my GLK Audio 20 to Touchscreen NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350 4-MATIC
Upgrading my GLK Audio 20 to Touchscreen NAV

Since purchasing my GLK350 back in January the small Audio 20 screen drove me crazy. I looked into adding the Becker Pre-wire (mine came without) or upgrading to the Command System, both were too pricey involved a lot of work and wiring changes.

So this morning I bit the bullet and spent ~$900 on an aftermarket screen from Navitech (Korean Company) that retains the OEM look and adds touchscreen, navigation, and back-up camera to the Audio 20 system. I haven't been able to find anyone that has done a write-up after installing an aftermarket head unit to a GLK, so I figured I'd start a thread to show it off.

Link-> http://www.navitechus.com/#!navmax-glk-class/c1lha
Video -> https://*******/8RyPU0

Will keep everyone posted when it arrives in a week .

Mark

Last edited by GLK312; 05-31-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Very interested. Keep me posted.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM

2010 GLK350
I've also been wanting to do this. I look forward to your installation and review.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM

2018 C43 AMG
Did you notice in the YouTube video the backup camera shot still had Asian characters displayed? My main concern is the quality of the unit and the ability to update the maps. I wish there was a perfect fitting system like this with Apple CarPlay.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:25 PM

2010 GLK350
Yes I noticed the Asian characters on the screen which would be a little strange. Hopefully there is a US version or an option to not have any characters come up.

I was looking at the Seicane systems for the GLK but they are all out of stock.

http://www.seicane.com/7-inch-2008-2...-aux-ipod-c266
Old 06-01-2016, 03:23 PM

GLK350 4-MATIC
I did notice the Asian characters, I'm really hoping there will be a setting to turn this off...If not then I suppose it's still better than having no back-up camera at all.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:25 PM

GLK350 4-MATIC
Originally Posted by eyeckr
Yes I noticed the Asian characters on the screen which would be a little strange. Hopefully there is a US version or an option to not have any characters come up.

I was looking at the Seicane systems for the GLK but they are all out of stock.

http://www.seicane.com/7-inch-2008-2...-aux-ipod-c266
I've seen a few of these on e-bay and Alibaba, there seem to be a few different manufactures that make similar units. Haven't paid too much attention to them since my cars a 2013 and has different wiring harness..
Old 06-03-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Pay close attention if the screen is as good as OEM. I put an aftermarket Ottonavi unit in a Toyota I had back in 2011. Perfect fit, looked OEM, but I could not read the screen in the daylight, it was very weak and seemed to get worse with time.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:05 PM

04 c240 avantgarde,2011 glk 300
Hi how did the installation go? Was everything ok with the unit. I'm looking to install the same but with a brand called rupse. The one I'm looking at is just the top part (small screen) only which will add gps and reverse camera only and retains the head unit. Any feedback pls how it generally worked with the car system stereo and steering functions. Does it still allow you to enter the engineering mode?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:47 PM

GLK350 4-MATIC
Well the install required more knowledge of wiring than I was prepared for. I had the entire dash taken apart, and nearly the whole head unit plugged in but couldn't figure out how to hook up the ACC/Ground to a source.

I'm sure doing this is easier than I think but I didn't want to chance ruining something in the vehicle, so I'm dropping it off to have the unit professionally installed next week.

I'll still post photos of the "after" and let you know how it goes.

@Monarc98 - The unit you linked to on Amazon would be much easier, taking the dash apart isn't too bad if you have the patience to not break anything. I'm sure you could install it in under an hour without the need for professional help.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:32 PM

2018 C43 AMG
Any updates?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:00 PM

GLK350 4-MATIC
Updates 6/22 - I've had the screen installed and the unit semi-working for 3 days now.

Currently working with the vendor to get all the dip switch settings and touch screen working properly in the GLK. This has been a challenge since I'm only able to work with them late at night via a texting application (they're based in Korea). For some models there are instructions, but isn't any documentation for the GLK

How the unit works:
  • When starting the car I have a 7" version of my stock Audio 20 screen
  • If I switch the car to Reverse the back-up camera automatically turns on (note: someone earlier asked about the warning text - I changed the language in settings so it is now in English)
  • Holding down the "BACK" button on the Command controls boots up the Android menu. From here I can launch apps, google play store, etc.
  • The android box uses tethering from my smartphone to access the internet. I'm going to download an offline version of maps so I don't need this all the time.
  • Somehow I should be able to mirror my iPhone's screen to the 7" car display (haven't figured out how to get this working quite yet...)

All isn't perfect yet, I still need to fix a few issues:
  • Back-Up Camera has a flicker, I may need to bring it back to my installer and make sure it is receiving enough power or get an adapter for it
  • The touch screen isn't working 100% of the time. I'm confirming firmware versions to the vendor tonight to try and fix this.
  • I'm set-UP to have the NAV option on my display like the video. Not sure if this will work for my stock set-up since I have the non-Command radio.

Will post some photos and videos when I have it all up and working.
Mark
Old 06-22-2016, 03:29 PM

2018 C43 AMG
Screen picture quality looks good. Thanks for the update. Can't wait for more!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 AM

2018 C43 AMG
Anymore updates or screen shots? I'd love to see the different screen functions.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM

2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by monarc98
Hi how did the installation go? Was everything ok with the unit. I'm looking to install the same but with a brand called rupse. The one I'm looking at is just the top part (small screen) only which will add gps and reverse camera only and retains the head unit. Any feedback pls how it generally worked with the car system stereo and steering functions. Does it still allow you to enter the engineering mode?
Do you have a link to this one? Sounds like what I've been considering adding.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:07 AM

2018 C43 AMG
Pleeeese update us!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:28 AM

ive decided not to touch the stereo and just installed a wireless reverse camera with a separate 3.5 screen by pyle with a switch. its powered by the cig lighter at the rear and the the the other transmitter connected to the camera plugged inside the compartment. so i just turn it on when required. i figured i'll just use my phone for gps when required
Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 PM

2011 C63
ive decided not to touch the stereo and just installed a wireless reverse camera with a separate 3.5 screen by pyle with a switch. its powered by the cig lighter at the rear and the the the other transmitter connected to the camera plugged inside the compartment. so i just turn it on when required. i figured i'll just use my phone for gps when required
Why the separate screen and switch? I did an install on my wife's GLK350 and I'm very happy with the results.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...15-glk350.html
Old 09-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Switch is just on the right side of the screen no big deal at all to reach for it. As for the installation I guess I don't trust the local installers here. Glad you got that done. As much as I want to do it I felt it's best to leave it alone
Old 09-02-2016, 01:16 PM

2011 C63
Switch is just on the right side of the screen no big deal at all to reach for it. As for the installation I guess I don't trust the local installers here. Glad you got that done. As much as I want to do it I felt it's best to leave it alone
I also do not trust the installers around here, that's why I did it myself.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:42 PM

In that case I envy you.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK 350
Hey guys, I also just upgraded my 2015 GLK 350 screen from the factory 5 inch to this 7 inch android touch screen, it comes with Android 7.1. Just had it installed (used a local installer, took him all day to install this unit, also dvd player, rear camera and digital tv). He said that now that the wiring all are in place, switching it back to the original or switching to a new unit (if i buy another one later, maybe if there's a newer unit with even faster hardware and android 8+) should be pretty quick going forward. The fit is great, basically fills in the space that we have for the screen, just like the photo from OP GLK312 above.

Here's the one i got: http://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l...t_detail&p=244
I chose the "my car comes with AUX" since i have the aux input via the mmi plug (i bought the mmi plug on amazon) in the center storage next to the seat. Had to send them pics after the order was made, somebody contacted me afterwards for them. Then it took about a week for them to process it and hand it over to the shipping company, they used DHL, took about 2 days to ship from hong kong to where I'm at in california.

So far it's working great. This unit is interesting, it keeps all the original factory software and controls so it's almost like i didn't do anything except i have a 7 inch screen. The factory software though doesn't seem as crisp, probably cause it's scaling out from 5 inch to 7 inch. But everything works as before, including factory radio, cd, GPS and bluetooth.

Now if I switch over to aux (via menu) or if i push the disc button a few times, it switches over to Android and that's where things get high definition. It uses the bluetooth and gps that it comes with, not the ones from factory, pretty interesting. It also comes pre-loaded with Sygic maps for navigation, for all of north america. Works really well, similar to google maps. I also hooked up to my home wifi and downloaded google maps and some of the offline maps, but just for my area cause google maps are pretty big. The dvd and digital tv also works pretty well. I bought the dvd player from the same place, but I got the digital tv receiver on amazon, since it was a lot cheaper there. The only other thing i did was downloaded an image to use as the wallpaper.

Only been a few days, but so far so good. Just wanted to let GLK 350 owners know in case they were weighing options for an upgrade.

Last edited by tomalam; 07-08-2018 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2010GLK350 (11-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM

2018 C43 AMG
@tomalam do you've some pictures or video of the unit functionality to share?