GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

B service or oil change plus stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 GLK350
B service or oil change plus stuff

So..I'm finally out of warranty on my GLK 350. 2013 with almost 60k miles on it. All previous maintenance was done at the dealer.

I do have an extended warranty through Carmax though. So need to make sure I follow proper maintenance.

The whole A and B schedule things seems ridiculous to me as first time MB owner.

Can I just have a quality 3rd Party Mercedes shop do the items I want... Like for 60k, Brake Fluid, Plugs and Oil change, and inspect the rest of the items myself?

Or do I need to have them do a "B Service and plugs or something". Seems like a lot of 3rd party shops near me have options for either doing oil change + stuff, or performing official A or B service. The official A or B service costs more.

The maintenance guide for the GLK350 doesn't say the maintenance has to be an A or B service.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250
The maintenance manual on these these things are tricky to read. 437 different cars listed and it's on just as many pages to figure it out. I'll take a look at the service guide when I get home, and see what MB says is required for your car at that mileage.

I also bought my GLK through Carmax. To keep your warranty with them valid, you just have to follow what MB says is required. Carmax is really open about "you can have it done anywhere, just go to Jiffy Lube for the oil change." Of course, Jiffy Lube isn't where I'd choose to go, since I don't trust them to use the right oil.

You can probably call a local shop and get them to quote you a price on the 'required 60k service" I'm sure they have a list of what all it entails.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250
Here is a list of everything that is required. You can even do it yourself, per the warranty. I bought the MityVac that is mentioned so often on here, and did the 40k service on mine last weekend. Took me about 3 beers to do the oil/filter change, fuel filter, air filter and cabin air filter.

Most of the inspection stuff, you can handle easily yourself. And quite a bit of it would likely be done by any shop during a basic oil change. Inspect fluids...I think even the Jiffy Lubes do that. I'd probably just call a shop and ask "how much for an oil change/brake fluid/plugs" like you mentioned.

Last edited by travelingj; 08-17-2016 at 11:39 PM.