esp & abs issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk
esp & abs issues

Hello to all
I recently purchased a salvaged 2014 GLK. I have managed to rebuild the car on my own without professional assistance. I purchased an icarsoft MB scanner and have been able to find and fix/clear all of the codes. The ESP remains a problem. When doing and automatic scan the tool finds 16 modules to check and one is not the abs Pump module. When I do a manual scan and select the ESP module the scanner questions if I have this option, of course I do, it states that there is a communication problem with the ECM. If the scanner could communicate with the ABS module it would hopefully point to wheel sensors, steering angle, etc. The car has always started and runs smoothly. I decided to change the abs pump and module, purchased a used one and installed it to find I now have an ABS light on the dash in addition to the ESP inactive light. The ESP button on the dash has never appeared to do anything. I'm considering sending the ECM to be checked out as this can be done without having to tow the car for service. I'm running out of ideas. May have to seek professinal help. Any thoughts from the group?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Post the VIN!!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Glk
I'm a newbie... Why is it important to post the vin?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by TIMENOW4U@yahoo
I'm a newbie... Why is it important to post the vin?
For you nothing. For me and if you want my help,It allows me to look at your vehicle systems and wiring diagram!!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:11 PM

Glk
Thanks WDCGG8JB4EG171545
Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by TIMENOW4U@yahoo
First of all I think you made a huge mistake in replacing the A7/3 traction system hydraulic system unit, but I don't know if you also changed N30/7(ESP control unt) which bolts to and controls the traction unit

Additionally you scanner is looking for something that is not apart of your system,,ie abs------you have the adaptive brake system which is the A7/3 and N30/4 unit and all the wheel speed sensors plus a host of others reports to the ESP

Typically when a scanner can't find or can't read a module, it is because it either dosen't have the capability or the module is faulty and not communicating on the chassie CAN.

If you can't read the module then you obviously cant clear the faults bla bla and when you disconnected ESP control module you created a fault.

On another note I only use DAS Xentry and even with that system you need developed authorization to clear many ESP faults.

I think you need access to a better diagnostic tool to meet your expectations and confirm that you need a new ESP module or you are able to access the unit!!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:30 PM

Glk
Thanks for you input. I'm not certain that I follow you completely. When my scanner didn't recognise the brake module i assumed i had a problem with that unit. The car is salvaged untitled/ uninsurable. For $130 I was able to replace the entire traction unit and module, in kind, that was cheaper than towing alone. Unfortunately it didn't work. After pressure bleeding the brakes I now have the ABS light on the dash which was expected as the unit was unplugged/replaced. As you suggest I'm ging to have to get access to a better scan tool. Maybe then I will be able to dig deeper into the problem
Thanks again
Chris