GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK350 random engine issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes GLK350
2013 GLK350 random engine issues

I have recently run into some issues with my GLK. I purchased it recently and almost immediately started encountering issues.

Randomly when driving I will get an engine light which will sometimes flash and put the motor into reduced power mode. The codes I am getting are for a bank 1 mixture as well as cylinders 1,2 and 3 (also bank one) misfire. If I shut the car off and start again it will run fine. Still an engine light, but lots of power, no reduced power mode, no rough idle... just drives like new until I randomly get another flashing engine light and the car again will kick itself into limp mode.

I've taken it to an indy shop close by who replaced an O2 sensor as they were getting no reading at all from the current one. I also put some really high octane gasoline in and fuel injector cleaner as I thought perhaps the previous owner hasn't been using premium gas. It appears that after the O2 sensor and injector cleaner/better gas, the problem is much less frequent but still occurs. Perhaps a combination of all or just one has helped yet not solved the problem.

I have heard of some intake manifold flapper issues that cause similar symptoms to mine. I am going to check the plugs as well as some new coils to see if that helps my issue at all, but I feel like with the random occurance of my issue that this is likely not the problem, and that the problem is due to either something sticking (like a flapper or throttle body) or a sensor flagging a potential issue due to a malfunctioning part or sensor and then triggering the limp mode. Car only has 50,000 kms on it so I'm shocked to see an issue like this occuring so soon in its life.

Any help is much appreciated!!
Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 ML400, 2012 CLS550
I've had these symptoms with a couple other mercedes (02 cl500 and an slk320) and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. I don't know if the newer engine is susceptible to this fault but I kind of "expect it" with my other MBs/ known issue. It will often not start when symptom shows up then start the next time you try; if that makes sense. As soon as I experience it once or twice I grab a sensor off the shelf and install; Like I said, I expect these to fail so I stock up on them. Bosch brand only, but those are for my older MBs. Something to look into for the GLK 350.

Good luck, Tim
Old 11-30-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
You put in " really high octane gas", what octane rating? What do you normally run? It's only supposed to use Premium 91 or higher. What brand and octane do you normally use?