GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB accepted diesel cold weather anti-gel additive

Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
MB accepted diesel cold weather anti-gel additive

Cold weather has once more come to my Region ,seeking advice concerning acceptable cold weather additive for Mercedes Benz GLK250BT diesel motor.
Recently saw a additive product Klean-Flo for diesels .
Seeking advice concerning the use of diesel additives, Klean-Flo products
Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
MB's own Diesel Cold Flow improver is, of course accepted : http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/...ive-0009892845

My local MD dealer says that they are discontinuing the product. They recommend the following product from ProLab :
https://www.prolab-technologies.com/...onditioner.php
Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 MB GLK250 BlueTec; 2016 Acura MDX Advance
Funny people in MD think they need this... Running my GLK250 up here in Anchorage, AK with no additives and it runs just fine.
The following users liked this post:
HONDO250 (01-19-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich
Funny people in MD think they need this... Running my GLK250 up here in Anchorage, AK with no additives and it runs just fine.
Likely because the diesel sold in Anchorage already has the proper anti-gelling additives in it. Mine gelled big time when it hit -13°F the other day.

It's also good preventative maintenance, as it lubricates the fuel pump and prevents moisture from forming the fuel.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:56 PM

GLK250
Appreciate all the good views/opinions.
Good preventative maintenance is the key ...
There is one additional point , the fuel source...name brand & the blending of the diesel for cold weather.
Presently, I purchase my fuel locally from SPEEDWAY which is Marathon Oil purchased the distribution rights from HESS ..in certain States . On recent road trips ,I have found Speedway Stations...My old story has been not to purchase diesel fuel from Non affiliated stations that purchase lots wholesale. The Inspection Sticker (weights and measures from the State) has not assured that diesel fuel is of good quality.
I use Truck Stops on interstates like Flying J PETRO etc...which have diesel pumps with the correct diesel nozzle and the reduced flow pumps....Their Facilities are clean and more consumer friendly for cars,RV's.that use diesel... Price is still a factor and the traveler realizes the costs are largely taxes imposed by certain States. I fill up in certain States before I cross the border into the next State with High Fuel Costs...
Old 02-02-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
You can always just ask a person at a 'real' fuel stand if their fuel is winterized. As most get their fuel from the same distributor one can be reasonably assured that all the fuel in that region is treated.

If you live in an area that sees any winter temp below 32F, Your regions diesel will be treated as pure #2 starts to cloud at 32F and will gel at 17F. So one probably shouldn't fill up in Miami in January then try to drive north.

Also, Here is a tech paper by Chevron, It pretty much will tell you everything about diesel fuel. Kind of interesting.

https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chev...ech-review.pdf
Old 02-02-2017, 06:05 PM

GLK250
Good Sound Advice, Although the cashier has little interest of the current state or condition of the diesel fuel quality. The Mercedes Benz Diesel vehicle owner needs to heed the advice concerning the helpful tips addressed in this Forum.
Those with deep pockets $$$ can run to their Authorized Mercedes Benz Dealer or figure out simple solution to a bad fuel or cold start problem.Ways to solve a problem are not included in the Owner's Manual , I find KISS :"KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID " has been working so far for me in nearly 3 years of MB GLK 250 BT ownership...
Diesel fuel oil is not gasoline