GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

looking for definitive brake recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350 4MATIC
looking for definitive brake recommendations

Hey all, my 2011 GLK350 is almost due for some new front brake pads and rotors. I have done plenty of searching online and on the forums, and am basically looking for an up to date, and possibly more definitive recommendation for what to get. Im seeking a quiet, low dust set up, preferably with equal or improved stopping power over stock. I have seen Akebono pads recommended by several people, are these the a good choice? Now as for rotors, I have seen many mixed recommendations, some people loving Zimmermann rotors, some people saying stay away from them. I have also heard the cheaper rotors readily available at advance auto parts and the liek are perfectly fine. I would love any and all input you can provide. Also, if you have any less than obvious tips for a DIY brake job on these vehicles, let me know! thanks all
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
I have Akebono pads on the front wheels and love them. No brake dust! I don't notice any difference in stopping power. I think the rotors are OEM. I have OEM pads in the rear and wish I'd gone Akebono all the way around.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Magic Toaster Oven
I've replaced both my front and rear with a combination of Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads.
They do not squeal and have almost no dust.
As for stopping power, some say they are weaker than the stock, but I have had no problems with them.
I would recommend them.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
...have replaced sets on 2 GLKs..both with oem from autohauosaz ..quiet and good braking...easy diy install (like any brake job).....re: brake dust...just use spray on Armorall or McGuires dust barrier/seal....dust doesn't attach and any just sprays off easily.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by LiftOff
I've replaced both my front and rear with a combination of Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads.
They do not squeal and have almost no dust.
As for stopping power, some say they are weaker than the stock, but I have had no problems with them.
I would recommend them.
i had the same setup and very happy with it.
It does not have that first "cold bite" feel like the OEM pads but the stopping power is about the same.
Best of all, no squealing and virtually no brake dust.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2014 Smart ED
Akebono pads and hella rotors.

Love it. No dust, feels more "bitey" than oem.