M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ETS/BAS/ABS lights on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ETS/BAS/ABS lights on

I have a 2002 ML500. The ETS/BAS/ABS lights were coming on and I new I needed a break job. I had the front and rear rotors and pads replaced. This moring the ABS kicked it when I was coming to a stop on some ice. the the set of lights came on. I turned the engine off and on - the lights are out. ABS or ETS kicks in on a turn and the lights come on again. A a test I did a hard break with no ABS kicking in and the lights stayed off. Any ideas as to what is going on? I am thinking the brake light switch.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You are probably correct, a simple fix. If its not that could be another sensor but usually the brake switch. try stopping in a straight line without turning the wheel with the lights off. If they come on you have the answer.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 AM

straight line stopping

I did a hard stop in a straight line and the lights did not come on
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Well, sometimes the brake light switches are intermittent. Drive it for a while and see if any brake application triggers the lights and be certain your brake lights are working. It could be the wheel angle sensors also. Try resetting these by turnining the wheel all the way left then all the way right. If all these fail go to a dealer and have him read out the fault on the Star diagnostic computer. Actually that is what really should be done to stop the guessing.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:49 AM

hello there
a week ago i have a problem with my 2001 ml 430 the ets, abs and another light i think it was the esp came on together with viberationg and some weird noise in the front, i was so scared cuze someone told me it might me the abs system and it might coast around $2000 to fix it then a friend of my family how fix mercedes and bmw figure out that the fuse of the abs got stocked then he took it out and put it back all the lights went off and no more nosie and viberationg. so as a hint just check the fuses, good luck,
jerry
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
simple fix. its a diy'er. search the forum... there is a real good write up.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 PM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Me too

I have a 98 ML320 (no ESP) and the ETS light came on and has stayed on. This is the warning light that reads ETS, not the triangle. Called my service advisor who said he can't get me in for a week but no problem to continue driving it . Not sure if I believe that....comments? What is the brake light switch? Also, could be a coincidence but the day before it came on I went through the car wash. Wheel angle sensor perhaps?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:10 AM

Brake Lamp Switch

Originally Posted by Calcio
I have a 98 ML320 (no ESP) and the ETS light came on and has stayed on. This is the warning light that reads ETS, not the triangle. Called my service advisor who said he can't get me in for a week but no problem to continue driving it . Not sure if I believe that....comments? What is the brake light switch? Also, could be a coincidence but the day before it came on I went through the car wash. Wheel angle sensor perhaps?
It was the brake lamp switch. A $15.95 part plus $208 for 2 hours labor.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2 Hours Labor ?!!

Wow, that switch change is 1/2 hour maximum - even working at a snails pace and taking time out for a coffee break :-)
Maybe that's just the standard MB allocated time ?
FYI
I wrote up a how to on this topic (on another forum) and I think most people agree it's an easy straight forward DIY.
You might like to consider diy'ing next time - assuming you still have the ML.

Regards Tim
Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I experienced this issue with my 02 ML, except mine was acting much worse. All of the lights came on, engine power became very weak, the brakes were pretty much non-existant, and the car shook horribly. It was very frightening. I ended up having the car towed to the deal twice for this issue (the first time didn't fix it). It even stranded one of the techs who was driving it home to experience the problem. The dealer ended up having the car for almost two weeks resulting in a new main computer (don't remember the exact part). Fortunately I haven't noticed anyone else experiencing this issue, so hopefully yours will be an easier fix.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by timdf
Wow, that switch change is 1/2 hour maximum - even working at a snails pace and taking time out for a coffee break :-)
Maybe that's just the standard MB allocated time ?
FYI
I wrote up a how to on this topic (on another forum) and I think most people agree it's an easy straight forward DIY.
You might like to consider diy'ing next time - assuming you still have the ML.

Regards Tim
Yep...saw that and it did look easy but it needed A service and I figured that the labor wouldn't be that bad......wrong!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:43 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Put it down to experience....

The MB experience, like no other
I learnt to always get an estimate for any main dealer related repair work - even if it looks straight forward.
Sadly some MB main dealers look at servicing as a means to r@pe the owner, rather than retaining the customer for future purchases.

Latest example was $77 to tell me my PAS pump is leaking - this is after I told them it was leaking but declined ther offer of repair at $$$$$

I figure MB have lost at least $150k in purchases from me alone soley due to their 'snotty don't care less attitude' and incompetent / over priced service departments.

I'm far from alone when it comes to these sentiments - as a simple google of certain keys words would show.

In the meantime enjoy your ML.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53 PM

01 E430 Sport
My BAS/ETS came on too about a month ago. I had a friend use a Snap On tool to read the codes and it came up as a steering angle sensor, anyone know how much it would cost to replace that sensor? or how hard is it to do yourself.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 01:46 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Originally Posted by timdf
The MB experience, like no other...
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I've been very fortunate to have a good dealer. It's too bad one bad experience with a dealer can ruin the reputation of an entire brand.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM

2000 ML 320
Thx!!! A couple of lock to lock turns of the wheel and the light went off. This was the first time my ML320 went out in the snow so that may have something to do with it
Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML500
BAS ESP ABS lights on

Originally Posted by jerrymold
hello there
a week ago i have a problem with my 2001 ml 430 the ets, abs and another light i think it was the esp came on together with viberationg and some weird noise in the front, i was so scared cuze someone told me it might me the abs system and it might coast around $2000 to fix it then a friend of my family how fix mercedes and bmw figure out that the fuse of the abs got stocked then he took it out and put it back all the lights went off and no more nosie and viberationg. so as a hint just check the fuses, good luck,
jerry

I had the same problem with the 3 lights BAS ESP ABS with strange intermittent noise today. I pulled out fuse K25 and it stopped. I put it back in everything seems normal again. It works
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 AM

2001 Mercedes Benz ML320
2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320 BAS/ESP, ETS, ABS, & BRAKE

Greetings,

This is an intermittent problem. It happens while I'm driving or when idle at a traffic light. The BAS/ESP, ETS, ABS, & BRAKE warning light goes on along with a warning beep (the same sound if you forget to release the emergency/parking brake)

On my last visit to MB service, my service advisor told me that I may have to change my All Activity Module (The service visit was to program a new remote and couldn't be done because of the suspected All Activity Module.

Could the AAL be causing my problem?

Aloha
PS. I wanted to add a photo of the dashboard during the incident.

Last edited by islandmagic; 10-27-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Add dashboard photo
Old 10-27-2014, 07:41 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML500
Originally Posted by Gelacal
I had the same problem with the 3 lights BAS ESP ABS with strange intermittent noise today. I pulled out fuse K25 and it stopped. I put it back in everything seems normal again. It works
Update: October 24, 2014

After my last post with pulling out the fuse, it started again the next day. So this was not a permanent fix. And yes it turned out more costly. My tech had to replace the ABS pump. That was $1700 plus $583 labor. You may be able to get that part cheaper but be sure to identify problem 1st. Also changed brake fluid and bled brakes.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by islandmagic
Greetings,

This is an intermittent problem. It happens while I'm driving or when idle at a traffic light. The BAS/ESP, ETS, ABS, & BRAKE warning light goes on along with a warning beep (the same sound if you forget to release the emergency/parking brake)

On my last visit to MB service, my service advisor told me that I may have to change my All Activity Module (The service visit was to program a new remote and couldn't be done because of the suspected All Activity Module.

Could the AAL be causing my problem?

Aloha
PS. I wanted to add a photo of the dashboard during the incident.

The AAM has nothing to do with the ABS, etc. lights being on.

Have you looked at your owner's manual regarding the Brake Light?
Attached Thumbnails ETS/BAS/ABS lights on-2014-10-28_064529.jpg