Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W163)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

M-Class (W163) 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #1

Drives: 2000 ML320
ML320 stalling (sudden loss of power, shutting down)

My 2000 ML320 has intermittently suddenly shut down without warning on highways. Complete immediate loss of power (engine, steering, brakes, but not lights or starter). Useless trying to restart immediately but can be restarted as if nothing had ever happened after 3-5 minutes. Air mass sensor has been replaced.
Similarly, the engine will often die when starting the car, more often in cold weather. As above, it's Useless trying to restart immediately but will restart as if nothing had ever happened after 3-5 minutes.
It's as though the computer just has to reset.
Any suggestions?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Last edited by lloyd; 08-09-2006 at 02:42 AM. Reason: improving message
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If its not throwing any codes it is likely that its the CPS.
sosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #3

Drives: 2000 ML320
Thanks a lot, sosh.
No, there's no code coming up. I've read the reports of other on the forum about their problems necessitating replacement of the CPS and mine is pretty similar, though my stopping dead on highways happens in any weather, not in hot weather reported by others, and I am able to restart after only a few minutes, which means that the engine is still very hot and hasn't cooled down much, which others seemed to think was necessary before restarting.
But the CPS does seem the most likely fault and I'll get the dealer to replace it or try and do it myself, as advised by some others on the forum.
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #4

When engine stalls and dies, try starting by turning the key and cranking the engine. If the tachometer lies there dead, it is the CPS. If the tach moves, it is the fuel pump or something else. This is what my SA told me when my engine used to die. It was a faulty CPS in the end.

Good luck
PrfNyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Tags
2001, 320, 350, 500, engine, loss, mercedes, ml, ml320, power, shut, shutting, stall, stalling, sudden