M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 lights on dash, and wont shift out of 1st gear HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320 lights on dash, and wont shift out of 1st gear HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted this last month, heres my posting:

I have a 2001 ML320, and the shop that has it is stumped as to why the problem is occuring, they have scanned it, and found this. First, they cleared the codes, and found the B1041 code as Can communication trans to track control system faulty, then another code, P2068, P20CC rough rode detection signal, P2036 Incorrect can message from control unit, and B1470 as well.

The problem came as my wife was driving it, the speedo went dead, several warning lights came on, but she could still drive it fine. It happens on and off sometimes it happens several times, corrects itself, drives fine, then happens again, the shop is not for sure what to fix, and the next deal is the MB dealer, PLEASE, any help!

The ML now sits, and will sit, maybe forever, I have found NOBODY that can fix it for sure, everybody seems stumped on this problem, but after reading other fourms, I see that I am not alone! Ohters have had this exact problem too, but I have yet to find that they got there car fixed ever! WOW, Had I known this, I would have NEVER bought an ML. I own a Porsche service shop, but we can only read what the scanner says (see above) not sure what to do, but park it for good! Yes, we replaced the brake light switch, that cleared ONE code only.

I think its odd, that not event he MB dealer is sure what to do, except throw parts at it thill they find it, which gets very expensive, and if they replace a part, I am stuck with it, regardless of if mine was bad.

I can replace the computer for the track system for roughly my cost of $380, but it seems odd that this will fix everything, and allow it to shift out of first gear too!

WHY so many problems that occured within a second of driving it one day, everyhting happened all at once. Unless anybody can help, it stays parked in my lot forever, if I cant fix it, or find someone who can, seems weird for MB, never had a problem like this with Porshes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML270
I would try replacing the battery. I had a similar problem with my 2001. The car would start and drive only on 1st gear. I would then stop the car, re start and sometimes the problem would solve. One day the car did not start at all. I replaced the battery and the car functioned perfectly ever since. When checking the old battery, it was noted that one of the battery cells was breaking down and was causing the fault.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The dealer has access to MB's tech assistance for tough problems. This problem you are having is not common. Its also not uncommon for an independent not to be able to solve an uncommon problem like this. Do they use the Star system thats much more comprehensive than the typical scanner?? I would take it to a dealer and get an estimate for repair. Seems strange that as an Independent shop owner that you, yourself have not been able to determine at least how to go about getting this problem corrected!!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:20 AM

I have taken it to the MB dealer, and they scanned it and found exactly what I did, exactly, but had no clue as to why except to start replacing items on the codes till the problem goes away, so, yes I have checked into getting this problem corrected. And as for common or not, I have read on other forums others with the exact same issues, but no one has responed to them either.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 AM

MBs
In addition to mhm001 and sosh's recommendations, also check for a lose or intermittant or oxidised connector somewhere on the CAN. Here's a recent report from mihir who found a lose relay, albeit in the locking system and not on the CAN.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/169053-keyless-door-lock-unlock-problem.html
Old 11-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, the first thing we did, was to check all connections for that, all were like new, clean, but we still cleaned a little and check for tight connections to no avail.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 PM

1999 E320 & 1992 300E 4MATIC
How cold was it when the speedo dropped while your wife was driving it? I'm asking because this happened to me once when it was too cold. I'd check the Oxygen sensor. BTW, when the car refuses to shift out of 1st gear it means that it's in a crawl mode.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:32 PM

Temp outside was about 80 degrees when it happened. When the car is started, within three seconds, all the ESP BAP engine check lights come on, and you can shift into drive, but if you drive it, it wont shift out of first.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Originally Posted by bergfurher
I posted this last month, heres my posting:

I have a 2001 ML320, and the shop that has it is stumped as to why the problem is occuring, they have scanned it, and found this. First, they cleared the codes, and found the B1041 code as Can communication trans to track control system faulty, then another code, P2068, P20CC rough rode detection signal, P2036 Incorrect can message from control unit, and B1470 as well.

The problem came as my wife was driving it, the speedo went dead, several warning lights came on, but she could still drive it fine. It happens on and off sometimes it happens several times, corrects itself, drives fine, then happens again, the shop is not for sure what to fix, and the next deal is the MB dealer, PLEASE, any help!

The ML now sits, and will sit, maybe forever, I have found NOBODY that can fix it for sure, everybody seems stumped on this problem, but after reading other fourms, I see that I am not alone! Ohters have had this exact problem too, but I have yet to find that they got there car fixed ever! WOW, Had I known this, I would have NEVER bought an ML. I own a Porsche service shop, but we can only read what the scanner says (see above) not sure what to do, but park it for good! Yes, we replaced the brake light switch, that cleared ONE code only.

I think its odd, that not event he MB dealer is sure what to do, except throw parts at it thill they find it, which gets very expensive, and if they replace a part, I am stuck with it, regardless of if mine was bad.

I can replace the computer for the track system for roughly my cost of $380, but it seems odd that this will fix everything, and allow it to shift out of first gear too!

WHY so many problems that occured within a second of driving it one day, everyhting happened all at once. Unless anybody can help, it stays parked in my lot forever, if I cant fix it, or find someone who can, seems weird for MB, never had a problem like this with Porshes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can I ask...does your truck has a history of CAN bus related problems? Any past history that you can shed some light on?

I would certainly check the fuse box for lose relays/fuses....
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM

No history I know of, I bought it and within 4 months this happened, the ML has 54,000 miles on it, we have checked the fuse box some, checked for voltage issues, relays etc.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
At 54K miles, I will certainly recommend that you insist for good will warranty...

You are not the first owner so it might be different, but in my case, they kept fixing things almost until 65000 miles under good will, some times making me share part of the cost...

CAN bus problems are not something that should occur so early in its life...unless it was driven in severe off road conditions like deep water/mud etc. beyond its recommended capacity...and probably a short or something got introduced in its CAN wiring...

Another thing, does the truck have after market gadgets wired in like MP3 integration kit, hands free phone, DVD entertainment system etc.? Chances are less, but it wouldn't harm unwiring any/all of those and see if that fixes it...

I bet the dealer can check the health of all the CAN buses one at a time to make sure its not a fault in the wiring....before considering to start changing computers/sensors etc. one at a time....

I would recommend the health of the wiring be tested first before plugging replacement sensors/computers...else there a chance, replacement electronics might blow too..if there is indeed a short in the wiring...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM

OK< Update, I changed the ESP control unit, and all lights but two went out, it shifted out of first, but, get this, shifts into second, and gets stuck!!!!! The ESP light is still on and the check engine is on, speedo now works, so........Just for fun, I changed back to my original control unit, and presto!! the exact same problems after I changed units, so, its not the ESP control unit, with the old unit, its driving, but wont shift out of second gear, speeod works, ESP light is on check engine is on, and sometimes it hesitates, so I can only assume thew wiring connectors and or harness is bad on a truck with 54,000 miles in it.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK< Update, I changed the ESP control unit, and all lights but two went out, it shifted out of first, but, get this, shifts into second, and gets stuck!!!!! The ESP light is still on and the check engine is on, speedo now works, so........Just for fun, I changed back to my original control unit, and presto!! the exact same problems after I changed units, so, its not the ESP control unit, with the old unit, its driving, but wont shift out of second gear, speeod works, ESP light is on check engine is on, and sometimes it hesitates, so I can only assume thew wiring connectors and or harness is bad on a truck with 54,000 miles in it.
How about the trans module. Believe all that stuff goes thru it?? This sounds like my friends Porsche 996 thats been at the dealers now for 7 months and no fix in sight. Even the tech reps have apparently given up and they are considering replacing the vehicle. Has all of 2000 miles on it!!
Perhaps your ML was in some sort of a mishap before you owned it and the bus was damaged and not correctly repaired or, the previous owner had his fingers in it and damaged or hooked something up wrong. Did you get the service history from your MB dealer?? Have you spoken with the previous owner?? Could give you a clue.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:41 AM

Its got to be in the connectors, EVEN though the truck has 54,000 miles on it, clean as the day it was new, and looks like it inside and out. But to go from un pluggibng the ESP unit, and plugging it back, and now a whole new range of different problems?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its got to be in the connectors, EVEN though the truck has 54,000 miles on it, clean as the day it was new, and looks like it inside and out. But to go from un pluggibng the ESP unit, and plugging it back, and now a whole new range of different problems?
Even as clean as it is, is it possible that this ML was a flood car. That would explain lots of things.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM

Its not your BAS/ESP module. Since you stated you having problem due to ECU to CAN. I think this will help solve your problems with replacment of couple of sensors.

The vehicle speed signal is needed by the ECU for the actual vehicle speed . The sensor from the vehicle speed is then check and pass by the ESP and this information is relay to the ECU via CAN as an input signal.

Check the resistance of the VSS sensor and compare it on the right VSS sensor. The resistance shoulbe be about 800-2300 ohms for the front sensors and 600-1800 ohms for the rears. If they are off then you will need to replace them.

The front sensors are mounted on the steering assemblies and the rear sensors are installed on the rear wheel carriers.

Hope that helps you..
Old 12-14-2006, 02:21 AM

try testing battery/ alternator i currently had the same problem. tested the alternator and replaced it
Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM

same with my 99 ML430

When it got cold, it would not shift out of first. Had to do it manually, then it would work. However, when i put in park, i had to do it all over again.

One guy said replace the tranny, $2000

The dealer replaced the track control motor.....did not fix. they eventually replace some sensors to fix. total $1000. works fine now.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM

ML
I believe someone mentioned battery/alternator.

Something similar to this happened to me on a BMW and it turned out to be a bad alternator. Check to make sure you're charging OK. Loose belt? Just check your charging system.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Mercedes ML270 cdi
Exclamation ML270 CDI PLEASE HELP !!

Ive recently bought a ML270 CDI 52 PLATES and when i place the gear lever into 'D' it stays in 1st gear. Therefore when i refer to going into manual mode it doesnt shift into manual also. Please can someone help me out.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM

2000 ML320
Hello Luis21,
I bought a 2000 ML320 we have had it for 5 months now, all of a sudden it is doing pretty much what you are discribing. I am wondering if you have resolved the issue and if so, could you PLEASE, help me out with some insite as to how you or they or some god, resolved the problem?
Thank you. Hopefully you can help and hopefully it did not turn out to be a horrible and costly experience.
Thanks.
Elek98
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM

2000 ML320
Hello ANYONE? SOMEONE??
I was wondering if anyone could help with some insight to this problem?
I have a 2000 ML320, with the same problem I have seen in a few threads.
Not shifting out of first well, if I start it put it in D and really creep or shift manually it will go ok for a while then the speedo goes down to 0 and many dash lights come on and will not shift. I did shift manually a couple of times and when it happens it will not shift out of the gear it is in. We have, changed the speed control, the battery and the alternator to no avail. Does anyone have any sugestions out there??
Thank you for reading.
Elek98
Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 AM

ML270 CDI
ML CDI all lights on

Elek98 - did you ever get this solved... having the precise same problem. I'm starting to find it hard to believe that the dealer classifies this as an 'uncommon' problem. Have replaced the break light switch now, but that hasn't helped...
Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM

2000 ML320
problem hopefully solved!!!!

Hello All, I wanted to make sure I completed this thread. I did wind up bringing my ML to a shop that specalizes in MB and other german cars. They got all the codes the car was presenting with, and just changed the computer that controls the Transmission. So far all is well if the problem pops up again I will continue to post about this, I do belive in recording the path a problem takes to help others and myself in the future with this car.
Thank you to all.
Elek98
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM

2000 ML320
Same problem.

Originally Posted by Elek98
Hello All, I wanted to make sure I completed this thread. I did wind up bringing my ML to a shop that specalizes in MB and other german cars. They got all the codes the car was presenting with, and just changed the computer that controls the Transmission. So far all is well if the problem pops up again I will continue to post about this, I do belive in recording the path a problem takes to help others and myself in the future with this car.
Thank you to all.
Elek98
I just got a 2000 ML320 that has no lights on the dash, but won't shift out of first, ( in limp mode)? I've scanned it with my mechanics SnapOn scanner and no codes come up. It did have a dead battery when I got it, I charged the battery and added a little water to each cell. Battery starts the truck fine. Could the battery still be causing my truck not to shift?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML320 lights on dash, and wont shift out of 1st gear HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!