M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bleeding the Power Steering system???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding the Power Steering system???

Hello everybody. How do you go about bleeding the power steering system on a 2001 ML320?

Also does the 2001 Ml320 take your typical PS fluid/ATF fluid or is it a special Mercedes fluid I need to buy at the dealership?

Thanks for your help
-Ryan
Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 PM

anybody??? Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM

There's no way to bleed your power steering. The only way is to fill your resevior, close the lid. Start your car then turn your steering wheel far left and then far right. This will get the fluid into the rack. Open the resevior then top it off. Your done.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 AM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Originally Posted by svtguy08
Hello everybody. How do you go about bleeding the power steering system on a 2001 ML320?

Also does the 2001 Ml320 take your typical PS fluid/ATF fluid or is it a special Mercedes fluid I need to buy at the dealership?

Thanks for your help
-Ryan
Use the fluid from MB. I've experienced the full failure of my power steering system and MB refuses to acknowledge, after multiple performs of the hose and clamp recall, that the system draining its own fluid will eventually cause the pump to go bad.

On the last go round, which resulted in another huge repair bill, they were very insistent to only use the fluid from the dealer and produced a list of reasons why. As the power steering is a known defective component of these vehicles, I'd at least agree with their recommendation here to avoid any more rapid deterioration of an already poorly-designed system that will cost you money down the road. Spend the extra few bucks for the MB fluid, but don't sleep well at night, you too will learn to love your power steering defects on the W163.

-Robert
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM

ML 350
recall

May I know when the recall was sent regarding the steering components and thier possible failure? I did recall several in the last few years but I don't know which they were specifidally for.

I'm experiencing problems right now when I heard cranking noise and the technician (from a garage near my home) identified a loss of PS fluid and a leak. He added some fuild as a temporary measure but I have no idea what he used. The noise disappeared but now I'm curious as what is really wrong. The technician recommends a test of the pump and the steering rack and said I might have to replace either one of those two parts to fully address the problem and eliminate the noise altogether. I have yet to take this to the MB sevice center.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by Anjelina
May I know when the recall was sent regarding the steering components and thier possible failure? I did recall several in the last few years but I don't know which they were specifidally for.

I'm experiencing problems right now when I heard cranking noise and the technician (from a garage near my home) identified a loss of PS fluid and a leak. He added some fuild as a temporary measure but I have no idea what he used. The noise disappeared but now I'm curious as what is really wrong. The technician recommends a test of the pump and the steering rack and said I might have to replace either one of those two parts to fully address the problem and eliminate the noise altogether. I have yet to take this to the MB sevice center.

Thanks.
The second recall letter was sent in March, 2004. It only covers the hose and clamp problem. I have read in on other forums of problems with a gasket between the pump and the fluid reservoir leaking. Either way if you have a leak, you should keep a close eye on it because running it while being low on fluild will cause premature failure. My 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
one other problem you guys may want to look out for is the power steering fluid leaking from the back side of the p/s fluid reservoir. There is a small o-ring back there that sometimes fails and causes the p/s fluid to leak out. It may take you about 15 minutes or less to replace it along with refilling your fluid.