M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Burning smell & front windshield wipers don't work.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Burning smell & front windshield wipers don't work.

This morning I started my 2001 ML320 so that it could warm up and melt the snow/ice from the windshield etc.

What I didn't realize was that the windshield wiper switch was in the on position.

When I came back out to the car there was a burning smell that was noticeable even before I came into the truck. With all the ice on the windshield it quicly became evident what had happened.

Here is what I found:
1. Front windshield wiper system fuse blown. (Fixed)
2. Front windshield wipers do not work.

Could it be a burnt out windshield wiper motor? Could it be the windshield wiper relay? I am thinking it is the windshield wiper motor because of the smell. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by ml3204me
This morning I started my 2001 ML320 so that it could warm up and melt the snow/ice from the windshield etc.

What I didn't realize was that the windshield wiper switch was in the on position.

When I came back out to the car there was a burning smell that was noticeable even before I came into the truck. With all the ice on the windshield it quicly became evident what had happened.

Here is what I found:

Could it be a burnt out windshield wiper motor? Could it be the windshield wiper relay? I am thinking it is the windshield wiper motor because of the smell. Does anyone have any ideas?
Most likely the motor that burned up before the fuse blew. Relays usually do not produce much of a smell.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I just got the windshield motor replaced on my 2000 ML320

Mine died out of aging though (97K miles)...some of the speed settings were not working...

About $500 is what its gonna run you...
Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLR
Originally Posted by ml3204me

Here is what I found:

This happened to me this morning too!!! I cant see!!!
I cleaned ice and snow off and switcehd the lever and nothing moved. The sprayers work but that's all, I also noticed a burning smell coming from the hood. This sucks.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLR
Ha they work!!!! they were seriously frozen together even after removing most of the ice & snow that day!!!! Drove to school & they didn't work parked my truck and came back after my night class and tired it on the first time, presto! I wonder what that burning smell was? oh well.