M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 hood won't open

Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 hood won't open

O boy! truck comes in for P/S problem and I go to pop the hood and the hood won't open. Funny....

I check the cable where the lever is and it looks good. I remove the cable and pull using a vise grip and still won't pop. I have another guy play with the cable while I lissen for where it's working. At this point I have removed the inner fender well on the drive side to see if I can reach the cable. I can get my hand on it and pull but still doesn't open. I can feel it moving while the other guy pulls fron inside the car. I hear it near the latch but I can not reach it.

The question is how do I get the hood open ( with out cutting a hole in it! ) I think that the cable might have broken at the latch. I am stumped and don't know where to go with it.

Any ideas would help a lot
Thank you
Bill
Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Originally Posted by Highend repair
O boy! truck comes in for P/S problem and I go to pop the hood and the hood won't open. Funny....

I check the cable where the lever is and it looks good. I remove the cable and pull using a vise grip and still won't pop. I have another guy play with the cable while I lissen for where it's working. At this point I have removed the inner fender well on the drive side to see if I can reach the cable. I can get my hand on it and pull but still doesn't open. I can feel it moving while the other guy pulls fron inside the car. I hear it near the latch but I can not reach it.

The question is how do I get the hood open ( with out cutting a hole in it! ) I think that the cable might have broken at the latch. I am stumped and don't know where to go with it.

Any ideas would help a lot
Thank you
Bill

Looking at that you have 2 post. Not meaning to be rude in anyway, Have you pull the triangle lever from the 3 point star emblem in the front? You will never see this triangle lever if you have never opened a ML hood before.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 PM

hehe ya tried that first.

Well made a call to a friend ( MB tech ) and below the latch there is a plastic plate. Popped that off and gained access to the latch. From there standard latch operation. Will replace latch and wire to fix problem. ( seems it broke the cable from the latch being to hard to throw. over stressed, Looks bent, hit or abused? )

Turned out to be the cable end had broken and come out of the latch.

BM-

PS: only a n00b here
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 AM

300SDL
To get to that cover you had to open the hood.

So how did you get the hood open?