M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Want to Buy an ML, advice?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 1999 W210 Mercedes.
Want to Buy an ML, advice?

I have just sold my E320, w210 model and i am looking to buy an ML. .

Any drawbacks from choosing an ML?
What are common problems with them?
I have seen quite a few with transmission problems, is this common?

Any input is helpful. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM

2000 ML430, Audi A8L 4.2L, E92 M3, CLS 63
My advice?
Don't.

Honestly they are great trucks but have countless quirks and gremlins. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought it.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM

2000 ML320
Originally Posted by monizzle
My advice?
Don't.

Honestly they are great trucks but have countless quirks and gremlins. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought it.
I agree completely. Great truck overall but ALOT of problems that are very costly$$$.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Sage Advice

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't buy the ML
I do like the truck but it is always an adventure to get something fixed.
The repair bills were outrageous at the dealer and not much better at third party.
If you like to tinker with your car/truck then the ML is for you. If your like most people that really don't have time to learn all the nuances of their car then you will be very annoyed. I have learned more about the ML than I ever had to know about any other car.

Its the little things that **** you off.
Upgrading the Head Unit? Sorry you need to rip out the Fiber optics
Blow a speaker? Sorry, you need a special ohm rating.
Replacing brakes? Sorry go buy some Torx head bits.
Oil change, Best to buy a Topsider ($135), takes 8 quarts
OEM tires are crap, optional sport tires were worse.

I have dealt with these and many more issues. Having a ML can be rewarding but the w163 ML is one high priced chick.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by eXpLiCitW210
I have just sold my E320, w210 model and i am looking to buy an ML. .

Any drawbacks from choosing an ML?
What are common problems with them?
I have seen quite a few with transmission problems, is this common?

Any input is helpful. Thanks!
Beautiful to look at........................... expensive to keep. I would not do it again. Save yourself time and money and don't buy one.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 AM

2006 c230
dont unless u have a lot of money to spend on it. i use to have a 2001 ml430 and i just trade it for a 2006 c230 last month
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Unlike most of the members here I myself WOULD buy the ML if I had to do it over again. Sure I've spent some money on repairs but its a Mercedes. If I was broke I would have bought a Hyundai. There are so many positives for me that they outweigh any negatives.
I love the way she looks for starters.
Winter driving is a blast. I never have a fear about driving in the snow.
Safe Safe Safe. I feel very safe in my ML.
The engine isn't half bad. Sure its not like my CLK but I have fun with her!

I know thats a short list of positives but it all depends on whats hight on your priority list. I'm not going to tell you to buy one, I'm just saying I'm happy I did, unlike most of the people posting in this thread. Only you can make that final decision based on extended test drives. I hope it works out for you. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 PM

W203-4M W163
2000 ML 320, no problems at 100K other than a cat converter on the right side.

Beyond brakes and normal maintenance, nothing. It's now 10 years old, and it drives like a new car, and looks like one (unless you know the MB style changes, which most people don't)

There might be problems, but I haven't seen them. The ML is a tank, and drives through snow and ice like a mountain goat with GPS.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM

ML 320
Friends,
You've got to understand Mercedes cars are like women that needs attention. They look beautiful and expensive on the road. They also require pedicure and manicure here and there and not forgetting hair do...
If you can’t afford one, don't ask to marry one.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 PM

02ML320
You're in the 163 forum, so it safe to say that you looking to buy an older ML.
From my own personal experience, this is one of the worst product I ever paid money for and I mean products (shoes, purple shirt, refurbished phones...), not just cars.

PS. You know that the 163 is a Chrysler right?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by missthebus
You're in the 163 forum, so it safe to say that you looking to buy an older ML.
From my own personal experience, this is one of the worst product I ever paid money for and I mean products (shoes, purple shirt, refurbished phones...), not just cars.

PS. You know that the 163 is a Chrysler right?
Just because its built in Alabama doesn't mean its a Chrysler.
And just because your ML was a piece o crap doesn't mean everyone elses is too!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM

W203-4M W163
Search on here for "how many miles on your ML" or something like that. People have posted their miles and some have included service history.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 AM

ML 270cdi
If you buy one then try to ensure you get one that's been looked after with evidence of the work done. Like all vehicles they will deteriorate if the little things that go wrong are not fixed as they happen. Huge bills if you need a lot doing at once.

Mine's done 90k miles and is one of the best cars I have bought - I really enjoy driving it and have no regrets. Best owned if you can do some DIY.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM

2007 GL450, 2003 BMW 325i
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I WOULD buy one. Our '01 W163 has been an excellent work horse now at 163k miles and has been through snow, mud, pulled our 16 foot and now 18 foot boat effortlessly as well as carting the kids safely around town and on long trips.

Like someone else said, MBZs are like women, you've got to take care of them. I have not had the "quirks" others speak of. Yes, tires, brakes, oil changes, gas, wipers, etc are all $$ but you pay to play the MBZ game. You know, you recently sold one and no doubt you had to service it once in a while.

We bought ours with 56k and have maintained it.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
140K miles and counting....

This again eh? No problem I'll say it again I would not have bought the ML320.
If I had to do it all over I would have done better research and waited for the W164. Lease then purchase after lease.

Now having said that I've owned my little panzer for 5+ years and she is quite unique. She's showing her age but the small gremlins are at a manageable state. I've gotten over the stereo thing and have found that with a little research I can solve most of her problems. This truck has definitely grown on me and I will probably drive it till the frame rusts out. Parts can be expensive but with some knowledge you can find things cheaper. This truck has become my side project and I want to restore her at some point. The only downside to it now is the gas mileage.

Was this a truck to purchase and live care free? no. Has having this truck been rewarding? Yes. Things I like most about this truck ?
Utility - great space in trunk/Boot
Safety - Youtube some of the rollover videos. Very impressive
Security - This truck is no Jeep but when it comes to winter driving I don't
want to be in anything else.

Wifey wants a W164. Shucks I do too but I don't want to give up the old ML.
There's only room for three cars in the family so I'd have to choose...which one do I love the least
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM

02ML320
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Just because its built in Alabama doesn't mean its a Chrysler.
And just because your ML was a piece o crap doesn't mean everyone elses is too!
I am stating my experience hence "my own personal experience" not generalizing "everyone else".

It was a joint venture between Mercedes and Chrysler when MB took over Chrysler some years ago. The Pacifica was the Chrysler badged of this ML joint venture. If you don't have any problem with yours, then kudos to you. Please do some reading, may I suggest you start with ...say... Consumer Report, this forum, any other MB forums in general, this very own thread. It's not just my car. My I suggest looking the actual works and money people put into and not just take "it a nice car" or "it's running great" at face value.
I had a Honda, yes a Honda, that I traded it in after 100k miles. I can tell you I don't even remember what the engine looks like. Honda took care of the oil, rear brake was replaced once (by me) and that's it. Not a single penny was spent on any other thing on that car. In any case, I might be wrong, but millions of people on various forums and magazines seem to agree with me. Who knows they could be wrong too.
Again, Kudos to you for the trouble-free ML.

Last edited by missthebus; 01-21-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM

2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Originally Posted by missthebus
I am stating my experience hence "my own personal experience" not generalizing "everyone else".

It was a joint venture between Mercedes and Chrysler when MB took over Chrysler some years ago. The Pacifica was the Chrysler badged of this ML joint venture.
It's a completely different vehicle. The Pacifica is a transverse engined, FWD based unit-body platform, with avaiable AWD, more similar to the Lexus RX than the W163. The W163 is a body-on-frame longitudinal drivetrain traditional truck type chassis. Yours is misinformation at it's finest.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 AM

2002 Mercedes c32 1998 Toyota tacoma 2002 Honda Cbr600f4i
I would buy one only if you are willing to resolve some issues. We had 2 ML's come in and the same day transmission died.
1.service the transmission and always replace the conductor plate plug
2.replace the square timing cover gasket
3.replace return p/s line with new clamps
4.get the ML in the air take the torsen bar out and cover it thick with anti-seize (to prevent annoying loud popping)
5.Update the fuel line and replace the filter (through using the access cover)
6.replace the leaky washer tank grommet at the bottom (prevent frying the abs module)
7.periodically cycle the low range button (prevent lockup of shift motor)
8.cycle the abs pump (prevents pump motor lockup)
9.replace the crank position sensor and carry a spare!
10.Regarding ML430 start saving your bucks because 275 series tires are pretty expensive
11.by the time you read this, change the transmission fluid, filter again
12.replace the crank position sensor again! just joking my friend!
I replaced the tranny in a ml430 and got to be my company car and I beat the **** out of it. Towed a 30ft runabout, took it muddin, downshift just b/c loved the V8 noise it made and still runs like a top!
Bottom line is get it! do the work that I listed.If you don't mind the gas milage get it. It truly is a work horse!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:15 AM

2002 Mercedes c32 1998 Toyota tacoma 2002 Honda Cbr600f4i
WRONG! (misstheshortbus)
The chrysler pacifica has no joint venture with the ML Mercedes at all! Believe me or not. I've been a tech only on mercedes before and just simply not true. Some thought that the r class had some sharing with the pacifica but not true. They may have similar body type but at that time, chrysler was the only company with that crossover body style.