M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2001 ML320 rattle under passenger side rear?

Old 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Saab
2001 ML320 rattle under passenger side rear?

New to me 320 and now regretting purchase. I have always wanted one and finally found one and it seemed everything was perfect during test drive and as soon as I get this thing home, it starts acting up lol.

I have always wanted one and finally found one and it seemed everything was perfect during test drive and as soon as I get this thing home, it starts acting up lol.

The vehicle is running perfect with no miss. However, I have now developed a slight rattle, which appears or seems it’s coming from the passenger side rear. This happens at stoplights with my foot on the break anyone have any insight in what this could be? I have been driving the past week and have not had this issue until yesterday morning.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 391 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD, 2013 C250, 2015 GLK350, 2005 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by tpdtopcop
The vehicle is running perfect with no miss. However, I have now developed a slight rattle, which appears or seems it’s coming from the passenger side rear. This happens at stoplights with my foot on the break anyone have any insight in what this could be? I have been driving the past week and have not had this issue until yesterday morning.
It’s a 22 year old vehicle, so there are going to be some of these. They’re rugged like a warship and the engines are among the best ever built if maintained.

Try this:

The ML320/350 exhaust system runs on the passenger side (on US models). There is not much clearance where the exhaust loop goes over the rear axle. If a mount is bent, or an isolator has failed, or the pipe has slipped out of a mount, the pipe can rattle against the frame, underbody, or suspension. It’s worst at idle.

This is a 2 person job and cannot be done on the ground.

Bring the ML to a muffler shop and have them put it on a platform lift (not a frame lift). The weight of the vehicle must be on the wheels. Lift and inspect the exhaust system for anything rubbing or loose. If that’s okay, lower the car and block the wheels and put the parking brake on. Start the ML, hold the brake, put it in gear, and reproduce the rattle. Then lift the ML and look for the source of the rattle while it’s happening.

Last edited by Odd Piggy; 02-08-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 PM

Saab
After tapping on the exhaust tip the sound is coming from this area. See pic

Arrow pointing to where rattle is coming from
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:23 PM

Saab
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
It’s a 22 year old vehicle, so there are going to be some of these. They’re rugged like a warship and the engines are among the best ever built if maintained.

Try this:

The ML320/350 exhaust system runs on the passenger side (on US models). There is not much clearance where the exhaust loop goes over the rear axle. If a mount is bent, or an isolator has failed, or the pipe has slipped out of a mount, the pipe can rattle against the frame, underbody, or suspension. It’s worst at idle.

This is a 2 person job and cannot be done on the ground.

Bring the ML to a muffler shop and have them put it on a platform lift (not a frame lift). The weight of the vehicle must be on the wheels. Lift and inspect the exhaust system for anything rubbing or loose. If that’s okay, lower the car and block the wheels and put the parking brake on. Start the ML, hold the brake, put it in gear, and reproduce the rattle. Then lift the ML and look for the source of the rattle while it’s happening.
Thanks for the advice. I know the vehicle is old and there are going to be issues which hopefully will be easy fixes. I am chasing the bad/esp light now. I have a lateral acceleration sensor coming to try and fix that.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 391 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD, 2013 C250, 2015 GLK350, 2005 ML350, 2003 E320
Glad you found it, and without having to spend any money on diagnosis.

We traded the ML in 2014 so I can only help with what I remember. There is a member with the handle Maj Dundee who knows more about the W163 than the dealers do now. If you get stuck he is the answer.