M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

01 ML 430 Brake Booster replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
01 ML 430 Brake Booster replacement

Has anyone had experience replacing the brake booster for an ML?

We started to notice an issue when the brake would let off a hiss every now and again when you released the brakes. Now it does it almost every time you brake, and our mechanic recommended we replace the brake booster (part #5 on the EPC breakdown, if you have that). Would be nice to save a bit on labor, as the part itself is about $400.

TIA.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w163 ML350
if you remove the panel under the dashboard you will see a plunger connected to the brake pedal that goes into the firewall. Around that metal pipe is a plastic / rubber seal which is now cracked. This is what is making the hissing noise. The more you drive and brake [under normal circumstances] the more it will rip and tear apart. This seal needs to be replaced and in order to do so you will have to remove the interior brake assembly.

The same happened to my ML320 just after I posted the car online for sale. I took the cheap route out of filling the crack with a gasket seal, waiting for an hour, refilling it, wait, refill it, wait overnight and wrap it with black tape.

I drove it for the next week and during the time I drove - there was not a single sound.

I still recommend fixing it the correct way.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
gojukai,

I know this post is old, but do you have any pictures of this repair or the plastic seal you're referring to? I've got this same problem and wanted to double check this before having the brake booster replaced. I think I know what you're referring to, but just thought I'd check
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by athenshome
gojukai,

I know this post is old, but do you have any pictures of this repair or the plastic seal you're referring to? I've got this same problem and wanted to double check this before having the brake booster replaced. I think I know what you're referring to, but just thought I'd check

When there is hissing at the booster, it must be replaced. There is no seal that can be replaced.

Refer to post #2 for instructions.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...part-help.html
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
When there is hissing at the booster, it must be replaced. There is no seal that can be replaced.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...part-help.html

Here's a picture of my problem. The seal at the brake booster seems to be loose and I don't know if the dust boot was supposed to be underneath this seal or over it, but I can put my finger over the loose area of this rubber seal and it slows the air flow.

I feel like there should be a way to replace this booster seal or somehow tighten it to slow the air flow noise (rather than replacing the whole unit), but then again, I've never dealt with this repair before. I just want to slow the noise for a while before replacing.

Any ideas how to do this or am I just out of luck??
Attached Thumbnails 01 ML 430 Brake Booster replacement-img_0946.jpg   01 ML 430 Brake Booster replacement-img_0923.jpg   01 ML 430 Brake Booster replacement-img_0930.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by athenshome
Here's a picture of my problem. The seal at the brake booster seems to be loose and I don't know if the dust boot was supposed to be underneath this seal or over it, but I can put my finger over the loose area of this rubber seal and it slows the air flow.

I feel like there should be a way to replace this booster seal or somehow tighten it to slow the air flow noise (rather than replacing the whole unit), but then again, I've never dealt with this repair before. I just want to slow the noise for a while before replacing.

Any ideas how to do this or am I just out of luck??

Well then look at the remainder of the thread and see if you want to go that way. It's your choice.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM

2007 R350 Mercedes
Brake Booster

I was told my brake booster needed to be replaced. I am not getting a hissing sound but a clanking sound when I press on the brakes. My rotors and pads have been replaced. Can this be another problem????

QUOTE=Maj. Dundee;5370800]When there is hissing at the booster, it must be replaced. There is no seal that can be replaced.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...part-help.html[/QUOTE]