M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

SRS malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ML320
Question SRS malfunction

Greetings all.

The "SRS" and "Airbag Off" indicator lights on the dash are activated on our '99 ML 320. Both lights illuminate within 20 seconds of starting the vehicle and stay on until shut down. No other problems are evident.

Prior to taking it to the dealer, I'd like to confirm that there is nothing else I can do to solve the problem. I have checked the harness connectors under the front seats and disonnected/reconnected the battery in an effort to "reboot" system.

A search of this site reveals that SRS difficulty seems an occasional problem but there doesn't appear to be a solution for the "shade tree mechanic".

Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Geoff
Old 02-26-2003, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
SRS lights etc

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the forum !

I had exactly the same problem as you on my '00 ML. However in my case it was the connector under the front passenger seat which had become un-plugged.

Re-connecting it cleared all the warning light and no trouble since then - seems you might have a slightly more complex problem - hope you have a good mechanic.

BTW A few weeks after my seat connector problem I had unrelated another failure on my ML and out of interest I dis-connected the plug under the seat to recreate my original problem and took it into the stealership.

To my surprise they claimed they had to replace all sorts of stuff to correct the SRS warning light - even though I knew it was only the connector. They made no mention of this what so ever.

This little indicent confirmed my suspicions they were changing stuff out on my ML purely for profit !

Needless to say I don't use that stealership anymore.

Hope your dealer is more honest...
Old 02-26-2003, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
What you're probably going to find out is that the seat-recognition sensor pad in the front passenger seat has gone bad, common on the M-Class. This is a weight-sensitive pad in the seat that determines if someone is sitting in the passenger seat. If no one is in the seat during a crash, the passenger airbag is not deployed, thereby reducing post-crash repair costs and keeping insurance companies happy. The sensor also detects a BabySmart child seat when installed and automatically deactivates the passenger airbag. The seat is removed, then the bottom cushion is removed from the seat. The leather gets taken off the cushion, and the sensor pad is replaced. It could be another totally different malfunction, but this is usually the culprit.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ML320
Thumbs up SRS and AIRBAG OFF indicators

My thanks to timdf and mbtech208 for the replies. I finally had an opportunity to get vehicle into the shop. The diagnosis and fix was in fact the sensored passenger seat cushion. Once exchanged with a new one, all's well.