M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help, Power Seating (1999 ML320)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Power Seating (1999 ML320)

This car's been nothing but problems for me. Must be a Lemon cause it's always getting serviced.

After just having the driveshaft bearings replaced (they collapsed!!!!!!!!), I get the car back. Drive around for a bit, and to my horror, the drivers seat doesn't tilt back anymore.

Now, it'll tilt forward, but not back. The power just doesn't work for tilting back.

Human nature when something bi-directional doesn't work, is to try clicking the other way to "unjam" it, and then try going back. I lent the vehicle to my dad, and he did just that. BUT, he clicked forward WAY too far. The headrest is literally inches from the steering wheel. It's undrivable for a guy my size (6'6").

I don't know what to do. Since warranty's expired, I tried fixing it myself. I removed the plastic casing around the bottom of the seat, opened up the little electrical box opposite of the buttons on the plastic casing, and there was a circuit board. That's when I knew not to touch anything, and I replaced all the screws I took out and put everything back.

I called roadside assistance and they're asking for $100 just too look at it. $120 per hour afterwards (canadian funds).

So I said I'd wait. And here I am, checking to see if you guys know any other options. Anyone ever tamper with power seating before? Can you give me a few pointers? This really blows cause I've got a hot date tonight

What do I do? SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!

Karim
Old 04-16-2003, 08:42 PM

Well I took it into the dealership to get fixed.

$889 Canadian to fix the seat. Ughh. This thing is expensive to maintain.

Karim
Old 04-16-2003, 11:12 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Welcome to the ML experience.....

better get used to it or learn to DIY on some of the more trivial problems you're likely to encounter with this fine quality vehicle.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
My driver's heating element went bad on my 99 while it was still in warranty. Dealer said no big deal, just had to remove the seat from the truck, and pull off the leather cover to replace the element. Dealer ended up keeping it for 2 weeks. Turns out that the "craftsmen" in Tuscaloosa had cross threaded one of the seat retaining bolts during assembly. Dealer had to take out the transmission, cut a square out of the floor pan to get the seat out. Gotta love MB's attention to detail & high level of build quality!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by greenm
My driver's heating element went bad on my 99 while it was still in warranty. Dealer said no big deal, just had to remove the seat from the truck, and pull off the leather cover to replace the element. Dealer ended up keeping it for 2 weeks. Turns out that the "craftsmen" in Tuscaloosa had cross threaded one of the seat retaining bolts during assembly. Dealer had to take out the transmission, cut a square out of the floor pan to get the seat out. Gotta love MB's attention to detail & high level of build quality!
Apparently the same kind of craftsmen that built the ML also work in the dealerships in Alabama. Instead of dropping the tranny and hacking up the floor, why didn't they just drill the cross-threaded bolts out and re-tap the holes?
Old 04-17-2003, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Help, Power Seating (1999 ML320)

Originally posted by Karim4x4
Anyone ever tamper with power seating before? Can you give me a few pointers? This really blows cause I've got a hot date tonight
Well, looks like you won't be taking the ML on your hot date! It sounds like the tilt motor went bad. Can you hear the motor clicking when you try to tilt the seat back? Not the clicking of the switch, mind you, but the actual motor under the seat.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
Originally posted by mbtech208
Apparently the same kind of craftsmen that built the ML also work in the dealerships in Alabama. Instead of dropping the tranny and hacking up the floor, why didn't they just drill the cross-threaded bolts out and re-tap the holes?
Makes sense to me, but the tech said something about the bolts being case hardened, as well as the inability to get to the bolt to try & drill it out.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: Help, Power Seating (1999 ML320)

Well, looks like you won't be taking the ML on your hot date! It sounds like the tilt motor went bad. Can you hear the motor clicking when you try to tilt the seat back? Not the clicking of the switch, mind you, but the actual motor under the seat.
Actually no. It just won't move.

It stopped working along time ago, then one day, it worked. I figured the wire musta fell back into contact with the switch or something. So I let it be. Then it broke again.

Too many repairs. Yes it's a sweet looking vehicle, that does garner quite a bit of attention to this day. But it really is a pain in the butt to keep functional.

Oh yeah, and the check engine light just came on the other day.

Karim
Old 04-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 320, 2000, Silver/Blk

No fun unless you do things BACK-***-WARDS....lol
Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM

1999 ML320
Originally Posted by mbtech208
My ML's driver side seat has problems with one of the power seat functions (front vertical movement). I can hear the motor clicking; however, there is no movement. All other directions work. Any ideas on what could be the cause would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by Marce924
My ML's driver side seat has problems with one of the power seat functions (front vertical movement). I can hear the motor clicking; however, there is no movement. All other directions work. Any ideas on what could be the cause would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please UPDATE YOUR PROFILE in USER CP.
Attached Thumbnails Help, Power Seating (1999 ML320)-aaaaaaaaab.jpg