M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ml Repair Maintenance, Common Problems Post HERE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ml 320
Ml Repair Maintenance, Common Problems Post HERE

Alright i have a couple questions regarding my ML. This car has definetly been a love hate relationship. I want to love it but it keeps making me hurt it WHY ML why do you make me hurt you!!?? I just want to love you
Anyways here are some questions i have.

Low Rpm Hurting car? I always go slow around the town and i remember reading something about a low rpm thrashing? I always coast to a stop real slow and accelerate really slow is this bad at all? Or to let the car coast to a stop? im called Granpa by everyone even though im 19

Ok when first starting off in the morning when its really cold (10-20) up to like 60degrees the engine sounds like its dieing. I dont understand why it soundslike that and why the Rpms stay so high, if its to warm the engine up faster it doesnt seem to be working (the ml engine takes a long time to heatup is this right?) so can anyone explain this to me and if this is right.

ok next one when first driving the engine wants to super heat the catalytic converter (thats what the Ml Techs told me) so it wont switch gears to about 2800. The car is slow enough to begin with i dont need this. I hate this, anyway to disable it? Probably not,'

Also i just want to know what i can do to keep the Ml well maintained, i baby the car everywhere but i want to be able to take care of the car further and maintain it as well as possible everything i can i want to be able to do.
Thanks for any answers,
Steve
Old 04-19-2003, 12:26 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
ML Problems...

Here's a link to a partial summary of my ML problems - reading the other reviews covers most of the other ML problems...

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_36978.html

Sad isn't it :-(
Old 04-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Thats very sad and it made me even more scared. WHY THE HELL DIDNT I RESEARCH THIS CAR FURTHER!??! AND WHAT MAKES IT WORTH MORE THEN A JEEP CHEROKEE??? I
I was driving my moms today its got 160k on it its a 95 and in some areas it feels a lot more solid then the Merc. The fact that even comes close in any area to beating the Merc is what pisses me off. I cant believe i thought you paid for what you got.
Well if the truck holds up then i wont be as mad. Im worried the feel of the truck is a giveaway of problems later, i hope im wrong. Im going to try and get this car up to at least 150k on it with no problems, you might say thats easy but well see i have my doubts. There hasnt been any serious problems other then what i feel is weird handling kinda sloppy and out of touch almost, and poor performance.

ANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WITH A HIGH MILEAGE ML 320 or 430?? LET ME KNOW DETAILS!!
Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-20-2003, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
You shouldn't have any major problems with a recent ML - especially an '02 or '03. Keep in mind that the reports you see on sites like that and mercedeslemon, etc. represent a miniscule percentage of ML owners and almost none of the major problem-MLs are from recent years. '98 and '99 MLs many times did have some problems, and even '00's, but from '01 on, especially from '02 and on, the issues are down to some minor annoyances.

The reputation the ML got for its quality, etc. was probably valid for '98's and '99's, maybe even for some '00's, but from '01 on the reputation was mostly as a result of a few people ('few' meaning a very small percentage of ML owners) who kept on and keep on saying that the ML is a terrible vehicle when they had a '98 or '99. Even if it was some other MY, and even if their claims are completely valid (which is probable in many cases), you have to keep in mind that those opinions first of all do not say anything about the newer models and also represent a small number of people.

So the ML's quality is a matter that cannot be covered in a single statement or report - you have to look at the early ones differently from the later ones as there obviously was a huge difference. I'm not saying that there are no MLs with problems in later model years, but that is the case for every kind of car, not just an ML or an MB. And, as I stated before, the ML's reputation was tarnished by the early MY's, but the current ones generally match the 'industry standard' for upper level cars - it's not a particularly 'bad car.'
Old 04-20-2003, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
BTW common problems for earlier MLs included window switches, fuel pump, some exterior trim, rattling in dash and in corner of front fender, etc.

Later MLs sometimes have the fuel pump issue (they have a new pump design if your ML does have the problem) and in some cases fogging up of the rear lights. Also sometimes there are some squeaks from the rear seats when going over bumps, and you may encounter trunk hatch rattling.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:56 PM

Yes, I agree later ML's are undoubtedly better, but....

There's always a 'but' :-)

Even later ML's are assembled by the same workers and although QA has improved, there's still room for considerable improvement.

Further the ML is still using some of the same components, from the same dubious suppliers resulting in the same problems even now - for example, premature failure of the battery, access control systems, fuel pump - to name but a few of the more common ones.

On a 'high end' vehicle these things should have been ironed out long ago.

All of the above, combined with MB USA's 'snotty' attitude, leads to a less than ideal ownership experience.

It's only through sites like MB Lemon etc and complaints like this that MB get the message and do something.

If there'd been no complaints, no matter how justified, the ML might have still been the mess it was when it first came out.

One last point - different people have different expectations. For one customer 'no problems at all' might mean it's been back to the shop a few times but everything is ok now. Whereas another customer might have classed the same ML as 'nothing but trouble'.

It really does depend on your perspective - personally I suspect there's very few ML's which could be classed as trouble free. Of course all vehicles have problems, it's just that ML's appear to have more than their fair share !
Old 04-20-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
lt's a love , hate relationship.....

Prior to my 99 ML 430.....l owned a 1999 Lexus RX 300, and l traded it in, on the ML....and as my "Lovely Wife tells me about ten times a month", it was the biggest mistake of any car purchase l ever made.....but what l am suppose to do...l shelled out close to $50,000 dollars for it....l don't know about you guys, but l am in no position to be trading in vehicles every two years, so l will put up with it and fix it to be best of my ability....."BUT HEAR MY LOUD AND CLEAR, I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER MERCEDES AGAIN"..
Old 04-20-2003, 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
That sounds a lot like me. i had a 99 Accord v6, it was nice but i was making a bit more money and i decided to upgrade and i wanted an suv. Biggest mistake. Now the engine is burning oil at a very slow rate and the pretty new oil in it is black so more stuff to deal with......
-steve
Old 04-20-2003, 11:10 PM

ML 500
my ml 320 (1998) has been very good to me. I only use 93 octane and Mobil Synthetic oil. I would never buy a car like this brand new. starmark pre owned is the best way to go. The ML does not hold it's value too good, that is why new is not worth it.
I had a window switch problem and a belt tensioner problem. Nothing else so far in 3 years.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Regarding your good running 98, great! I was hoping id be that lucky i still might be. I bought a 99 with 40k on it. There is the slightest engine burning or leaking of oil, ever so slight. I dont know what it is, it happens i think on the highway, so i dont know im going to try and figure this one out.
-Steve
Old 04-21-2003, 07:30 PM

1999 ML430
My 99 430 has been very good to me. No real problems outside of a cracked pillar cover and a sensor going out. The only downside I see is its high use of brake pads. Other than that is has performed great. As for resale values, all vehicles are suffering from this very weak economy.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 ML 350
99ml

My 99 320 has been a great vehicle. I purchased it used. The few problems have really been dealer incompetance related. Overall a great ride.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
-Window switches
-Power steering cooler hose pops off
-Auxiliary fan fuse blows, damages the compressor
-Torsion bars creak
-Fuel pumps noisy/not reading fuel level correctly
-Stop lamp switch failures (ESP warning light)
-Mass airflow sensor (Check Engine light)
-Appetite for brakes
-Sunroof/door sticky pads peel away and leave residue on glass
-CD changer reads (No CD changer)
-Rattles & squeaks
-Windshield washer tank leaks
-Shifter linkage bushing falls out
-Front diff pinion seal leaks
-Various transmission leaks
-Door locks jump up and down
-Tailgate doesn't lock/unlock
-D-pillar trim cracks
-Seat occupancy sensor pad causes SRS warning light
Old 04-22-2003, 05:40 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Wow, damn. i felt good about the Ml the last post then i see this one. wow alright um sorry for what happened to your ML that sucks, what year was it? i hope im not in for the same mistakes. the only problems i have is the dpillar crackly thing going on and i think that might be it, probably not but they are small problems at least.
thank god
-steve
Old 04-22-2003, 09:13 AM

ML
Re: Ml Repair Maintenance, Common Problems Post HERE

Originally posted by buddhatikigod
Alright i have a couple questions regarding my ML. This car has definetly been a love hate relationship. I want to love it but it keeps making me hurt it WHY ML why do you make me hurt you!!?? I just want to love you
One day, both of you will agree and the love thing will just grow infinitely. Keep trying.

Anyways here are some questions i have.

Low Rpm Hurting car? I always go slow around the town and i remember reading something about a low rpm thrashing? I always coast to a stop real slow and accelerate really slow is this bad at all? Or to let the car coast to a stop? im called Granpa by everyone even though im 19
Nothing wrong with that driving style except for the hell you create for the impatient driver behind you. Taking off slow saves gas, plenty and coasting to stop is a good idea - saves brakes and keeps you aware of carjackers!!!

Ok when first starting off in the morning when its really cold (10-20) up to like 60degrees the engine sounds like its dieing. I dont understand why it soundslike that and why the Rpms stay so high, if its to warm the engine up faster it doesnt seem to be working (the ml engine takes a long time to heatup is this right?) so can anyone explain this to me and if this is right.
I don't know what year ML you have, but that doesn't sound right. My MY02 revs high for a few seconds (I believe just above 10K) then drops
to around 7K. That's when I engage the tranny. The engine heats up very quickly - that is, the cabin heats up reasonably fast for the volume. However, it takes a bit longer for the engine temp. to settle at just above 80F. In your case, since you are "slow", it may take even longer.

ok next one when first driving the engine wants to super heat the catalytic converter (thats what the Ml Techs told me) so it wont switch gears to about 2800. The car is slow enough to begin with i dont need this. I hate this, anyway to disable it? Probably not,'
That's correct. But even at that, it still heats up quite quickly and normal shifts don't take more than a few minutes. My Nissan 300ZXT (when it was A/T), used to take much longer before engaging.

Also i just want to know what i can do to keep the Ml well maintained, i baby the car everywhere but i want to be able to take care of the car further and maintain it as well as possible everything i can i want to be able to do.
Thanks for any answers,
Steve
Don't baby it. That may be one of your the problems. Just drive it. Every so often, open her up, take her to 90 for a while then coast at 60-80. Make sure regular maintenance is performed. Tire pressure makes a big difference also. Keep in mind that at lower RPM's the oil pump is pumping at a lower pressure. Oil does get everywhere, but at higher RPMs, it just seems like the oil is doing it's job better.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Wow, damn. i felt good about the Ml the last post then i see this one. wow alright um sorry for what happened to your ML that sucks, what year was it? i hope im not in for the same mistakes. the only problems i have is the dpillar crackly thing going on and i think that might be it, probably not but they are small problems at least.
thank god
-steve
mbtech's just listing the common problems in MLs, not the problems in one particular vehicle.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
I don't know what year ML you have, but that doesn't sound right. My MY02 revs high for a few seconds (I believe just above 10K) then drops
to around 7K. That's when I engage the tranny. The engine heats up very quickly - that is, the cabin heats up reasonably fast for the volume. However, it takes a bit longer for the engine temp. to settle at just above 80F. In your case, since you are "slow", it may take even longer.

Thanks Darkmann, really helpful response seriously. Just one last question when you say 10k you mean 1k right? When i start the engine it usually goes up to 1400-1700k then down to 900-1100 after about 30seconds maybe longer. Thanks for the other answers i really apreciate it, you also answered a question i didnt even ask but still wanted to know, about the highway thing how fast is ok to go? i usually do about 75 sometimes im going over 85 and i dont realize it. And then you said bring it up to 90 once in awhile and coast back down to 80 and its fine.
I remember someone said that around town driving the 320 is fine but on the highway a 430-500 is a huge difference. Ifanything i think the reverse is true. I dont know how the 430 does around town but the 320 feels sluggish on the town and once it gets on the hiway it opens up and its a good highway runnner..just my thoughts.
-steve
Old 04-22-2003, 11:36 AM

ML500
That's list of 'common' problems?
What percentage of ML's suffer any of those problems?
Old 04-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
My 1999 ML320 was a nightmare. Almost every failure listed in this thread happened to it. I reluctantly replaced it with a 2002 ML320. I expected the 2002 to be more reliable, but I still worried that it might too be a lemon. I was not surprised when the alarm started to go off at random, after having it for just 1 week. The dealer tried 3 times to fix it, to no avail. I contacted MBUSA, spoke to the local factory rep Gary Williams. Not only was he unconcerned, but arogant as well. I hired a lawyer, and filed a lemon law suit against the dealer & MBUSA. We settled the case before trial for $6,250.00. They also finally fixed the alarm. I keep the ML till the end of the lease, and then I am done with Mercedes forever.

The bottom line (in my experience), is that the ML is not a bad vehicle...Some of MB's dealers are bad or inept, and MBUSA has possibly the worst customer service of any auto manufacturer I have ever dealt with. I work too hard for my money to hand it over to a corporation that is not responsive to its customer's problems, and MBUSA will never get another cent of mine after my current lease is up.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:18 PM

Greenm - ditto....

My sentiments exactly - I've never had such a poor experience with a dealer, business, representative or manufacturer.

I've had vastly better experiences with Ford, GM etc. It's not as though I'm a 'whiner' either.

Like many others I intend to vote with my wallet - at the end of the day that's the only way they'll get the message.

If anyone asks me about my opinion of MB, I'll them. Must have cost MB over 6 sales already ;-)
Old 04-22-2003, 07:53 PM

'98 ML 320
ive got a 98 ML; bought it new. its got relatively low miles on it for five years (35K). just a few of the problems ive had with it:
-window switches all four replaced, f. driverside replaced twice,
-CD changer (six disc) broke so i got a basic (kenwood radio/cd/mp3 player, four 6 inch satellite speakers, new harness) aftermarket system installed for less than MB's quote on just a new changer....
-check engine light always on, MB refuses to acknowledge that there is any problem with the engine everytime i go "just ignore it"...(any thoughts on what the problem might be?)
-got the wood trim package and it's cracked and peeling all over the place
-fuel gauge is incorrect
-front passenger door doesnt respond to remote or to lock button on the center console.
-the car must be OCD, when i lock it with the remote the three working doors and the trunk lock, unlock, lock, unlock, then lock again (not a typo)... is that supposed to happen???(no im not holding down the button too long...)
-rear seats don't fold down unless excessive force is applied
-rear view mirror doesnt stay put (not a big deal, just annoying)
-rubber seals around all four windows not hangin on to well
-shifting is slow everytime i start the car for the first 12-15 min, engine is just warming up i know; should it take that long here in 80 degree florida weather??
-very high pitched "warning" kind of noise... hmm... about every other time i start the car for the first 20-30 seconds
well thats the list for now....
Old 04-23-2003, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by Marzocchi

-check engine light always on, MB refuses to acknowledge that there is any problem with the engine everytime i go "just ignore it"...(any thoughts on what the problem might be?)
You need to find a new dealer. A check engine light isn't that hard to fix, especially on an ML.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:01 AM

ML
... Just one last question when you say 10k you mean 1k right?
That's right, I meant 1K. 10K will be really revving in the morning.

I remember someone said that around town driving the 320 is fine but on the highway a 430-500 is a huge difference. Ifanything i think the reverse is true. I dont know how the 430 does around town but the 320 feels sluggish on the town and once it gets on the hiway it opens up and its a good highway runnner..just my thoughts.
-steve
Steve, around town, I think the 500 is still a slightly better riding truck than the 320, unless you have the same tire size as the 500. I drove a MY03 500 recently and it doesn't rebound nearly as much as the 320 over small bumps. It feels a lot more solid. On the highway, it just goes. Granted, at 85, there's practically no difference between the two, but when you need to pass at that speed, the V8 muscle has no match. Also, the engine sound of the V8 is smoother and seems to say "less effort".
Old 04-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Steve, around town, I think the 500 is still a slightly better riding truck than the 320, unless you have the same tire size as the 500. I drove a MY03 500 recently and it doesn't rebound nearly as much as the 320 over small bumps. It feels a lot more solid. On the highway, it just goes. Granted, at 85, there's practically no difference between the two, but when you need to pass at that speed, the V8 muscle has no match. Also, the engine sound of the V8 is smoother and seems to say "less effort".

I hear that, the rumbling sound around 2k when the Ml320 first accelerating from a stop would be nice if the car was fast now it just makes it seem like its struggling around that speed. They fixed that rumbling sound with the newer models right? I have a 99. Also with the rims, i drove an 02 320 first for awhile that had the fatter 17s then i buy my own with the stock 16s and i could definetly tell the diffrence. Im on ebay now looking for some new rims and tires, preferably a takeoff of a new model ML 500 or the Amgs are on there too but they are way too expensive, but they would be great, espcially chromed Can i take e class rims?
thanks
steve
Old 04-24-2003, 08:51 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
alarm problems

02 ML320

alarm would go off for no reason...had to finally called Roadside at 2am in the morning (before the neighbor called the cops).

at least they came...but the fix was to pull the horn fuse and let the lights blink.

the dealer was pretty cool about fixing it though, they tested every sensor and replaced some of them (at least that's what the work order stated).

although the attitude of the dealer at MB still doesn't compare to Lexus, at least I'm seeing some change during these hard economic times.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ml Repair Maintenance, Common Problems Post HERE