M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Acceleration hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML430
Acceleration hesitation

Hello. My 2000 ML430 is acting up. I think I did something very bad. I used a bottle of injector cleaner (with full tank of gas). Two days later, after a little bit of driving, I went on a long trip. 2 hours (100 miles) into the trip i lost power/acceleration. The truck runs fine at idle (maybe a little rough), but when you step on the gas, no acceleration. I could go 30 mph, but that was about it. Then, all of a sudden it ran fine for the next 50 miles...as i turned for home. Then this morning (a day later) it happened again. I did top the tank with 93 octane to try and dilute the injector cleaner. So. Is it my MAF, 02 sensor(s) or something else??? Please help! Thanks.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM

ML430
I took it to a mechanic who found that the fuel pump was at 2.4 bar at idle. Should be 3.7 - 4.2 bar. So i ordered a pump. He will install for $175, pump was $139. Has anybody had this same problem....and indeed the fuel pump was the issue?? I spoke with another mechanic on the phone...who said replace MAF first.

Thanks. New to this forum...I have found many of the blogs very helpful.

Oh, one more thing. I have 128k on the truck. Should I have tran fluid and filter changed? Is that something I can do? I am an OK wrench. Meaning...have done timing belts, water pumps, etc...
Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 PM

ML 430
My ML430 had a hesitation from a standing start, fitted new air intact MAF, new fuel filter, new plugs and leads! All this helped but it still hesitated, some days okay and the next all the time! Had a flat battery, so I disconnected the negative terminal while charging the battery! Surprise, surprise, no hesitation and the engine noise with my new sound system at low speed has also gone!