M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
For the record, I used the emulator on ebay (from Lithuania) and it worked and is still working! Been about 10k miles
Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by 01ml320benzito
For the record, I used the emulator on ebay (from Lithuania) and it worked and is still working! Been about 10k miles
That might be all well and good. I have no doubt that it is working and will continue to work. But the fact of the matter is that this so called "emulator" might only be a device to mimic turning off the light on the instrument cluster after a required bulb check.

Read what goes into one of these sensors in the passenger seat and please tell me how some person in Lithuania duplicated this engineering.

The only way anyone will ever find out is when a crash occurs. Then it will be too late.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Child Seat Recognition #3.pdf (34.6 KB, 2392 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 AM

ML320
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
That might be all well and good. I have no doubt that it is working and will continue to work. But the fact of the matter is that this so called "emulator" might only be a device to mimic turning off the light on the instrument cluster after a required bulb check.

Read what goes into one of these sensors in the passenger seat and please tell me how some person in Lithuania duplicated this engineering.

The only way anyone will ever find out is when a crash occurs. Then it will be too late.
Well there is no need to duplicate the engineering. From my understanding of the claim is that this emulator connects to the SRS system and deletes the childseat recognition pad completely (I physically snipped the wires off the sensor in the bottom of the passenger seat and added the emulator in place of the sensor) There was a wire on the emulator for every wire there was on the sensor. The emulator emits an "occupied" signal analogous to the "occupied" signal the sensor would emit if a person was actually sitting in the seat, it emulates the sensors signal to an "always occupied" signal. Instead of having a sensor that varies its signal based on pressure or presence of a child seat, it essentially emits one signal (occupied), effectively dumbing down the system. There are disadvantages to this the first being one cannot have a child in the front seat with a child seat as the emulator cannot accommodate for the signal the "mercedes approved" seat emits because it has no way of reading and interpreting that signal (unlike the mercedes sensor), meaning airbags will deploy even if there is child seat present. The second disadvantage is the airbags will deploy even if there is no passenger in the front passenger seat. The one advantage is the price is much cheaper than buying the mercedes sensor. The emulator doesn't duplicate the engineering, it dumbs it down, which is fine by most people, at least fine by me. Thats my understanding of how it works at least. In my case the SRS and Airbag off lights still work as I can see them turn on when I turn on the car and then the lights turn back off when the computer finds no faults in the SRS system. If the emulator simply mimicked turning off the lights in the cluster then they would be always off and wouldn't turn on during start up.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 AM

2000 ML55
Originally Posted by 01ml320benzito
Well there is no need to duplicate the engineering. From my understanding of the claim is that this emulator connects to the SRS system and deletes the childseat recognition pad completely (I physically snipped the wires off the sensor in the bottom of the passenger seat and added the emulator in place of the sensor) There was a wire on the emulator for every wire there was on the sensor. The emulator emits an "occupied" signal analogous to the "occupied" signal the sensor would emit if a person was actually sitting in the seat, it emulates the sensors signal to an "always occupied" signal. Instead of having a sensor that varies its signal based on pressure or presence of a child seat, it essentially emits one signal (occupied), effectively dumbing down the system. There are disadvantages to this the first being one cannot have a child in the front seat with a child seat as the emulator cannot accommodate for the signal the "mercedes approved" seat emits because it has no way of reading and interpreting that signal (unlike the mercedes sensor), meaning airbags will deploy even if there is child seat present. The second disadvantage is the airbags will deploy even if there is no passenger in the front passenger seat. The one advantage is the price is much cheaper than buying the mercedes sensor. The emulator doesn't duplicate the engineering, it dumbs it down, which is fine by most people, at least fine by me. Thats my understanding of how it works at least. In my case the SRS and Airbag off lights still work as I can see them turn on when I turn on the car and then the lights turn back off when the computer finds no faults in the SRS system. If the emulator simply mimicked turning off the lights in the cluster then they would be always off and wouldn't turn on during start up.
Hi, you still have the sellers info? All I see on eBay are the made in china ones. I haven't seen anyone with positive results for that. I found one for sale in Ireland. Kind of pricey plus shipping. Did you have the errors cleared after install?
Thanks,
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 AM

ML270 CDI
Originally Posted by john maddox
Well I decided to check all the wiring before removing seat and started by unclipping all connectors under the seat and spraying them with switch cleaner and reconnecting them. I have driven it 6 times and covered 80 miles since without any light. It would have come on at least 4/5 times before I did this. So fingers crossed I may have cleared some high resistance that was triggering the SRS light. I will post again in a weeks time.
I am experiencing the same SRS ABO lights problem and wondered if your solution lasted before I shell out £500 on a new sensor.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 AM

ML 270 cdi
My SRS light was on and switched on when a passenger or an object was on the passenger seat,
I cut the sensor wires under the seat and installed this emulator found on ebay:
"Seat Sensor SRS Emulator Airbag Light for Mercedes Benz W220 W210 W203 W168 W163"
(very easy: find the three wires with the same colour)
It works perfectly, no light any more !!!

Last edited by glnews; 05-27-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
I've had this problem a number of times when someone sits behind the front passenger seat. I was baffled the first time it happened as it was something that came up after we dropped off our friend, and then intermittently after that. I had it diagnosed by an MB Tech and he said the sensor mat needed to be replaced. When I was cleaning the car, I looked under the Front passenger seat and moved the wires, after which the system continued to work flawlessly again, until another guest sat behind and stretched their legs and their feet contacted the wires. I moved the wires again and have not had an issue again. I have installed 2 bars across the opening of the bottom of the front passenger seat and have not had an issue with this for almost a year.

It is almost similar to the experience of the other poster who unplugged and cleaned the connectors.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM

2002 E55 AMG blue (mine) 2006 CLK350 conv (wife)
Just fyi, I have 99 E320, and got ECUtool from seller homeart.usa (China) on eBay, and worked great. 'Srs light' and 'airbag off' is no longer lit. Happy now.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250 2012, C200 2012
seat sensor

many discussion and good document in this thread
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...l#post11462577
Old 03-08-2015, 06:13 AM

W220 2001
I had the same issue as John Maddox and tried the cleaning method first with electric cleaner on the connectors under the passenger seat. Came back with somewhat mixed results. The SRS light stayed on but went off after 5 mins (normally it should go off in 5 secs). It then stay off for the rest of the journey.

Restarted the car the next day with same outcome. Any thoughts as to delay in SRS activation? I prob need to get it diagnosed on a STAR diagnostic machine.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250 2012, C200 2012
where to go

How did u get the problem solved with Star diagnostic system, can u post some screenshots which can lead me there
Old 05-02-2015, 07:48 PM

2000 ML320
Similar Problem

Originally Posted by trendbuck
I have the dreaded SRS light on. I have had the fault diagnosed by mercedes dealer as the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. Of course they want in excess of $1000 to repair. I searched the net and found an Occupancy sensor emulator. But unfortunately this did not work. Still in discussions with supplier but i dont hold much hope for it being resolved. What i did find however was that there is a fuse in the drivers foot well (fuse #1) which is labelled as "Airbag off indicator light" or similar. There is also an Air bag fuse in the engine compartment. I removed the F1 fuse and hey the srs light is no longer on. My question is does this fuse do what it says it does(ie turn off the light) or does it it turn off the airbags as well. I am thinking and wishing that it does just turn off the lights as there is another fuse in the engine compartment that says "airbags" specifically. I have searched the net for an answer but there are no schematics or detailed description about this F1 fuse.
Anyone got some ideas or knowledge on this?

Hello.. I'm new to this forum. I have a similar problem with my ML320. Except my srs light doesn't illuminate instead only my ABO(airbag off) light stays on constantly. I took it to get inspected at Mercedes they told me my SRS works and they ABO will illuminate regardless of someone sitting in the passenger seat or not because the system works. This is coming from the service manager at the dealership. My problem is I can't pass inspection unless someone sees the light illuminate and then go off. However Mercedes did not mention to me that my srs light does not illuminate. Also I had a diagnostic done which was 140 and nothing came about saying anything was wrong with my seat occupancy sensor. I'm just not sure what to do . Is it the srs fuse like you mentioned? Is that the fuse located near the engine or inside? I got confused on that. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM
DrX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
When you turn the ignition on, does your SRS light come on then go out after 4 seconds? If not, you should check and replace the bulb.

There is no SRS fuse. It's unfused to ensure that a blown one can't disable the system.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:52 PM

2000 ML320
Originally Posted by DrX
When you turn the ignition on, does your SRS light come on then go out after 4 seconds? If not, you should check and replace the bulb.

There is no SRS fuse. It's unfused to ensure that a blown one can't disable the system.
Thanks for clearing that for me. You have any idea where I can get the bulb from? The bulb is located in the dash? I'm not saavy on automotive work so I'm learning things and researching without having a man doing it for me then push me over. I appreciate you responding to my comment.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 AM
DrX

2002 ML320, 2003 A160
You're welcome.

Drop in to your local MB dealer - they can sell you one. Should cost between US$1 and $3 depending where in the world you are. Quote part number 910141 000000.

Otherwise you can buy them online, but once you add shipping, it's not economical. http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._2439488A.aspx

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...ster-bulbs.pdf

Here's how to remove the cluster to change the bulb.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=67HJc3QbHdc
Old 05-09-2015, 01:19 PM

2000 ML320
Originally Posted by DrX
You're welcome.

Drop in to your local MB dealer - they can sell you one. Should cost between US$1 and $3 depending where in the world you are. Quote part number 910141 000000.

Otherwise you can buy them online, but once you add shipping, it's not economical. http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._2439488A.aspx

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...ster-bulbs.pdf

Here's how to remove the cluster to change the bulb.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=67HJc3QbHdc

I ended up switching some bulbs around. The light does come on and then off after a few seconds as you indicated. Now it just stays on. I already went to the dealership and they explained to me when I asked what was wrong. they checked it out and they told my srs was operational all my airbags and seatbelts work. nothing is wrong with it. Even the sensor was good because I got a diagnostic done too. Between them and the inspector somebody is lying to me. I need an inspection for my ml320. People keep giving me the round around. I'm getting upset. All I need to pass is the damn srs.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 AM
DrX

2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Originally Posted by DiiLiite
The light does come on and then off after a few seconds as you indicated. Now it just stays on.
What happens exactly? The light goes off after about 4 seconds after engine start, or it doesn't? Or it used to go off, but now it stays on? Or it goes off, then comes on again later, and stays on?

Sounds like you need a new seat sensor to fix the problem. That is the usual cause of SRS light on + Airbag off light on.