M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bose Stereo CD issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML320
Bose Stereo CD issue

Hello,
I have a 1999 ML320 with the Bose system. The left (driver's side) channel does not play the CD. The radio, AM and FM and cassette player do play through both channels. The problem is only with the CD player. I replaced the CD player with another OEM unit but that did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions? Could it be the amplifier?

Also can anyone recommend a good repair shop for the stereo in So. CA?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rick Rosen; 01-30-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Rick, your explanation of what is going on does not make sense.

You say........ The left (driver's side) channel does not play the CD.

Then you say..........The radio, AM and FM and cassette player do play through the right channel.

Then you say..........The problem is only with the CD player.

Did you really mean to say that the radio and cassette play through both the left and right channels but doesn't play through the left channel when using the CD?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

1999 ML320
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Did you really mean to say that the radio and cassette play through both the left and right channels but doesn't play through the left channel when using the CD?
Sorry for the confusion. That is correct. The left channel does not play the CD but both right and left play everything else. I have edited my original post.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
You have mentioned that you have replaced the cd player but with no result. It means there is a problem with the left channel output wiring from the player to the amp.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM

1999 ML320
Originally Posted by art_arev
You have mentioned that you have replaced the cd player but with no result. It means there is a problem with the left channel output wiring from the player to the amp.
Thank you. I suspected that. Looks like I'll need an experienced repair shop to trace the wiring.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
If Both your radio & cassette players work from the left channel & the CD player doesnt then it means the Bose amp is ok. Also considering you changed the CD player with same results means only one possibility: problem in the wiring on the left channel from CD to Amp.
Are you switched on in electronics? If you are, it could be a easy DIY. There are to many things connected in your car like a cd player,cassette player, which means whoever did the installation had to tap into the factory wiring. That is were the problem would be.

Have you got 3 separate units..radio,tape,cd? Can you post a photo of what is in the car....

Last edited by art_arev; 01-31-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM

1999 ML320
There are to many things connected in your car like a cd player,cassette player, which means whoever did the installation had to tap into the factory wiring. That is were the problem would be.

Have you got 3 separate units..radio,tape,cd? Can you post a photo of what is in the car....
Thank you.

It is the OEM Bose system that was the factory upgrade when I purchased the car. The cassette player is an integral part of the original radio. The CD player is in the back.

I have never had a problem or had it worked on or upgraded. A wiring issue is likely the problem as you have said. I first noticed the issue when while driving I would hit a slight bump in the road and that would cut out the left channel. Another bump usually brought the left channel back to play. Then eventually the channel went out completely which is the issue now.

I don't have the experience to trace the electronics so I guess my next step is to look for a good radio service shop in So. CA.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Try accessing the CD shuttle at the back and check if the cable is plugged in properly.You dont need a experience to do that...... If it is, then the place to look is behind the oem system were the shuttle cable is plugged. If you have the "keys" to pull the head you could do that as well... But if you feel comfortable taking the car to the shop so be it. Good luck
Old 02-01-2014, 03:43 PM

1999 ML320
Try accessing the CD shuttle at the back and check if the cable is plugged in properly.You dont need a experience to do that...... If it is, then the place to look is behind the oem system were the shuttle cable is plugged. If you have the "keys" to pull the head you could do that as well... But if you feel comfortable taking the car to the shop so be it. Good luck
Thanks Art. I have checked the plug and cables by the CD player. I even "jiggled" the plug while a friend listened to the left channel. No change.

I appreciate your help.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM

1999 ML 320
Problems with 1999 ML 320 Bose CD Player

Greetings: over the last 3 years I have been having problems with what I think is the CD player. Recently it seems to have gotten worse. The problem seems to occur only in cold weather. The music skips and when I hit a bump, I lose the CD connection and a radio station begins to play. I replaces the rear unit already with no positive result. Could it be the wiring somewhere in the car? I don't know where to look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. charles
Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 PM

1999 ML320
UPDATE: I was able to fix my issue with the CD player. The issue was that it was not playing the left channel. All other functions of the radio played OK.

It was an issue in the wiring from the CD player. When the wire bundle leaves the CD player it is crimped to tuck into a bracket that runs along the side of the player. I removed the cable from the bracket and straightened the cable and it now plays fine. Apparently there is a break in one or more of the wires inside the bundle. Removing the cable bundle from the bracket and letting it hang loose does not affect anything so I will leave it that way.

Hope that helps someone else with a similar problem.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM

1999 ML 320
thanks, rick. I will check this out as you suggest. charles