M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

DIY HID Light Install Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 M5 | 08 C300 (Sold)
Lightbulb DIY HID Light Install Guide

Hey guys,
So I thought I'd write a quick guide for people that want to install HID lights on their W163 ML's. I'm not a professional shop guy, I just like keeping my ML looking and running good.
Before I start out, I'll like to say that this is still a work in progress and I'll keep adding on to it when I get time.

Total time for both installations was about an hour.

The HID Conversion Kit I used:
http://visionbulbs.com/vb_product.php

What you need:
-Flashlight/ iPhone 5s flashlight
-Power Drill
-1 inch hole saw

Instructions (I would do passenger side first because there is more room on that side)
1) Remove headlight cover and old light bulb (I recommend keeping the old light bulb just in case)
2) With this kit that I used, you had to drill a 1 inch hole in the back casing for the wires to lead into light bulb housing. Use the 1 inch hole-saw and drill a hole into the back of the case.
3) Run the light bulb through the hole and secure it to the case. Make sure the seal is tight all the way around. If it isn't, this will cause water to leak into the head light giving you that water affect in the inside of the headlight.
4) Head back to the truck and remove the blub from its casing and insert it into the bulb housing. It should work with the old factory clamps but it might take a little bit of effort to get it to secure tightly.
5) Time to find a place to mount the ballast. I personally zip tied it to a wire below the head light but each W136 will be different so use best judgment on where to mount the ballast.
6) Now for the wiring; after you secure the bulb, there was two copper tipped wires that go back into connector. Mercedes doesn't show what is positive and negative so keep the case open until all the wiring is done and tested. Normally if the lights do not turn on, just try switching the connecters around. Connect the other sides to the ballast and make sure all the wiring is secured and fully locked in.
7) Test your lights, turn your head lights on and enjoy! but don't freak out if they don't work the first time, go back to the connecter and switch the plugs if the lights do not work (make sure you turn your lights off when you go back to switch them).
8) Repeat for other side.
9) And Enjoy!

Here are some photos that I took after the installation. I didn't take any during the install because I didn't know that I was going to make a guide later on.

Thank you for reading,
Ickdeep, 99 ML430/ 08 C300

Please feel free to post any questions or positive thoughts about this guide.