M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

front defrost questions (cabin air filter and debris)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 ML 500 W163
front defrost questions (cabin air filter and debris)

'05 ML 500

Recently my front defrost went out. There was zero airflow coming out the vents and instead the top vents (cup holders, above navi) had air coming out. Occasionally it would start/stop then finally never worked.

I talked to a friend who thought maybe the servo or flap was broken and told me the comp said something like 8-9 hours of work in the system. He also mentioned to check out my cabin air filter though.

I checked the cabin air filter today and a good 2 cups or so of leaves, maple helicopters, etc came pouring out. I am ordering a new filter, but in the mean time cleaned everything up, vacuumed the filter as best as I could, stuck the handvac tube up into the opening, and even turned on the air without the filter.

Afterwards, I put the filter back in and the defrost works which leads me to believe it was a debris issue rather than the servo/flap. Two questions though :

1 - the air flow coming out the drivers side defrost is much stronger than the passengers... is that by design and I just never noticed it?

2 - if not the above... I noticed the grill on the front defrost seems to 'clip' in. Has anyone taken this off and is it worth doing so to see if any debris is there? Is there anything else I can check/clean out?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
You could have updated your profile in BenzWorld and received help instead of jumping from one forum to another.....