M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Lowest Drop: Eibach or H&R ? Conflicting info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Sport
Lowest Drop: Eibach or H&R ? Conflicting info

I have a lot of experience with both brands and rule of thumb is that H&R is typically more aggressive in both stance and ride quality. However, based on the manufacturer's sites, Eibach shows a lower drop. Yet on the other hand searching the forums H&R seems to provide the lowest drop? (which is what I would assume anyway based on my experience)

Who here has first hand experience with both springs on an ML?
Which one is lower?

I am looking for the lowest drop and don't care about ride quality since the vehicle will only be used for marketing and not driven at all.

It will be wrapped in advertising, large 22" wheels, lowered, etc... It will be mostly parked and short drives.

Also, to lower the front ride height via torsion bars, do I loosen to lower and tighten to raise?

I couldn't find any specific info via search. I've done this before on another truck Years ago and just can't remember.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
ML drop

I've done it a few times. What would be nice to know is what year & Model ML do you have. ? Springs & Shock vary from model & year. The front drop is easy. Counter clockwise rotation the adjuster bolts will drop it down , but the drop is limited , due to the shock stroke , extended length , compressed length , The bump stop is on the shaft and it can be trimmed. You may try Ford Lighting front shocks . Monroe reflex. The lower mount hole needs to be drilled out with a 9/16ths drill bit, and you will need to transfer some of the MB OE bushings. Monroe shock P/N 911133 you need 2.

The rear suspension presents a different issue . The system is a coil over type of a cassette assy . If you have a ML 320 the coil springs from either H&R or Eibach may not get you low enough for your taste. If you have a Diesel , 500 or a 55 AMG , those springs will get you close. They ( H&R , Eibach) are progressive rate and if needed you can trim the lower end / bottom of the spring. I would be surprised if you can get them any more, There are 2 types . The upper end of the coil where it seats in the perch / plate could be , Flat surface . or open . You can use Bilstein Shock for a 55 AMG P/N 24 - 029858. They are 1" shorter .
Hope this helps _PTEngineering

Last edited by PTE; 05-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 PM

E500 Sport
Thanks PTE.

It's a 2000 ML320.

Are the Bilsteins HD shorter than OE? There's usually a Sport version for Bilsteins that are typically shorter, but all I see available is the HD version. Do I just go with the ML55 OE shocks?

So is it safe to assume that the Eibachs offer a lower height than the H&R's?

I guess I can always cut a coil. Can I easily get 2.5"-3" lower with the torsion bars without hacking away at other components?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
ML Drop

Answer at the other web site
Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM

E500 Sport
Here's the outcome...

Thanks for all the help. Here's an updated pic of the ML.
I went with the Eibach rear springs and Bilstien shocks all the way around. Bouncy as hell so I may lift the front back up a tad.