M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

DIY Expansion Valve & Dryer Replacement [Follow Along]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C230
DIY Expansion Valve & Dryer Replacement [Follow Along]

Hi Guys,

I want to log the events of my attempt to do a complete DIY Expansion Valve & Drier replacement.

There was a great thread a few years ago that had various attempts and different people chiming in, but I wanted to start with a clean slate. Here's the other thread for reference - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...0-ml430-8.html

For starters, I have a 2002 ML500 sport package with a whopping 291k miles. 99% of them are highway miles, so I like to think she has about 200k on her . Always maintained, engine runs incredibly strong, transmission doesn't skip a beat. Have done some major repairs, but I think she's on her last leg, and don't want to put any more money in it. Therefore, I'm doing this as cheaply as possible! (Fingers crossed!)

My mechanic is quoting me $1100 for the expansion valve and drier replacement after finding a leak at the valve (and most likely the o-rings). So here's my plan. If anyone believes I may be missing something, PLEASE chime in as I am good with cars, but not GREAT.

Parts I am purchasing (all from PartsGeek.com and of course for my car)

1) O-Rings

2) Drier

3) Denso Expansion Valve

4) Vacuum Pump w/ manifold gauges (friend has one I can borrow)

5) Freon

From there, the plan is simple,

1) Evac system

2) Replace Expansion Valve, O-Rings, and Drier (T-30 Torx) courtesy of great schematics from other thread.

3) Recharge system with freon

4) Cross fingers and toes.

I'm planning on doing this in 3 weeks, and will be reading everything I can find on the subject matter, and watching every YouTube video I can find.

I'll keep this thread updated, but wanted to ask, is there any glaring thing I might be missing?

Thanks so much, and be sure to check back!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:30 AM

2004 E320
what issues were you experienceing that mage them think expansion valve??
Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Save yourself a lot of money. When there is a leak at the Expansion Valve, it is always due to the O-rings. The Exp. Valve is a block of aluminum and does not leak. You should only replace it if the valve itself is not operating, and this is not your case.

Replacing the drier is also needless. The only reason for replacing it is when the system is left open for a prolonged period of time. That is when the internal desiccant bag starts absorbing moisture.

After separating the Exp. Valve, replace the two O-rings and reattach. This should take no more than 5 mins. Then evac. and your problems are over.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM

98 C230
Originally Posted by IzzyTheTek
what issues were you experienceing that mage them think expansion valve??
It was leaking and not operating properly.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM

98 C230
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Save yourself a lot of money. When there is a leak at the Expansion Valve, it is always due to the O-rings. The Exp. Valve is a block of aluminum and does not leak. You should only replace it if the valve itself is not operating, and this is not your case.

Replacing the drier is also needless. The only reason for replacing it is when the system is left open for a prolonged period of time. That is when the internal desiccant bag starts absorbing moisture.

After separating the Exp. Valve, replace the two O-rings and reattach. This should take no more than 5 mins. Then evac. and your problems are over.
The valve is not opening and closing properly. I replaced O-Rings as well.