M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Advice on Replacing Shock Absorbers? 2002 ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2010 ML350, 2010 E350, 1987 560SL
Advice on Replacing Shock Absorbers? 2002 ML320

How Replace Shock Absorbers - 2002 ML320

Is this a fairly easy job? I'm a "shade tree mechanic" with a fair amount of skils. I replaced the plugs/coils and brake pads recently.

Any advice on how to tackle this job? When purchasing the shocks, do you need the "installation kit" mentioned?

Or should I leave this to a certified mechanic? Thanks!

-Brian

Last edited by Cougar6; 08-05-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2010 ML350, 2010 E350, 1987 560SL
After poking around a bit, I did find these brief instructions:

"Front shocks are very easy.

- jack up the front car
- place car stand in position and lower car
- remove wheel
- remove fender liner
- place trolley or bottle jack under lower control arm and jack up to compress shock absorber
- remove nut at top of shock
- remove bolt at bottom of shock
- release trolley or bottle jack
- remove shock

Installation is reveres, noting very carefully the order and orientation of washers, rubbers etc.

You should be able to complete each side in 30 to 40 minutes."
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
Just changed them this past weekend. And I’ll share my experience. Will post video on youtube this weekend.

These are the types of shocks you can buy:
1. MB OEM (made by KYB)
2. MB OEM (made by Sachs)
3. KYB
4. Sachs
5. Bilstein Touring
6. Bilsten Heavy Duty.
7. Monroe, others, etc.

I installed the Bilstein Touring - to each his own. I did not need to purchase any additional installation kits, but I did read that someone who installed Monroes needed additional parts.

I installed following the procedure above w/ one difference. I put the fender liner back in after I installed the wheel and the wheel is on the ground. When the wheel takes up the weight of the truck, it pushes the shock’s shaft further into the frame. This way the bottom bumper touches the frame from the bottom and the top bumper (metal, bumper, metal) part touches the frame from the top. And there is more shaft now so you need to tighten that. Tightening this from the engine bay is not easy since the shaft will turn as you turn the nut. Therefore, you should tighten the nut with the tire on and on the ground. And then put the fender liner in – it is possible to put the fender liner on when the wheel is on and fasten the six 10mm nuts.

Will be uploading a video over the weekend on youtube if you’re interested.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML430
I'd really be interested in seeing your video. Have you uploaded it yet?

Originally Posted by maneesh
Just changed them this past weekend. And I’ll share my experience. Will post video on youtube this weekend.

These are the types of shocks you can buy:
1. MB OEM (made by KYB)
2. MB OEM (made by Sachs)
3. KYB
4. Sachs
5. Bilstein Touring
6. Bilsten Heavy Duty.
7. Monroe, others, etc.

I installed the Bilstein Touring - to each his own. I did not need to purchase any additional installation kits, but I did read that someone who installed Monroes needed additional parts.

I installed following the procedure above w/ one difference. I put the fender liner back in after I installed the wheel and the wheel is on the ground. When the wheel takes up the weight of the truck, it pushes the shock’s shaft further into the frame. This way the bottom bumper touches the frame from the bottom and the top bumper (metal, bumper, metal) part touches the frame from the top. And there is more shaft now so you need to tighten that. Tightening this from the engine bay is not easy since the shaft will turn as you turn the nut. Therefore, you should tighten the nut with the tire on and on the ground. And then put the fender liner in – it is possible to put the fender liner on when the wheel is on and fasten the six 10mm nuts.

Will be uploading a video over the weekend on youtube if you’re interested.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
Here is the link to the video. Hope it helps.

Thanks.