M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2003 ML350 Bose-Radio Sound Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML350 Inspiration Package
2003 ML350 Bose-Radio Sound Problem

Hello,

Please i need some advice/help on how to fix my radio problem. I own a 2003 model ML350 Inspiration package about 166,000 miles. My radio is no longer producing audio sound at all even after I keep turning the volume knob. I have been driving this car for just 13 months now. Every other function of the radio is o.k. Just that no sound comes out of the speakers. However before the sound problem manifested. I have not used the CD player because it is no longer recognized by the Radio Unit. Only in the very first month I drove this car that the radio unit recognized CDs 1, 3 and 5 from the CD player. After that first month, The radio unit did not see the CD player at all. I could not even eject any CDs from the player.

I had purchased this vehicle as fairly used this way from the U.S and had it shipped to my country. I knew about the CD player issue at the time of purchase but I was not bothered about it. I have been using an MP3 transmitter in my car for music since I started driving it.

If there is any information that you can give me that will help to resolve this. I will be very grateful. I am more concerned about the sound coming back on, than the CD fix. I can make do without the CD player working. Could there be some problem with the Bose Amplifier or some internal circuit problem in the radio unit - some blown fuse or IC unit? Where should I look?

I want to point out also that I an not based in the U.S so taking the unit to a qualified technician is not really feasible. I don't know of any specialized Merc radio technician in my locality that can work on this. The average radio tech here works with Japanese vehicles. I don't want some technician to do a trial and error job on this radio unit.

An option would be to install an aftermarket 2-DIN touch screen radio unit but I have read that it will not work with my Bose system and I don't want to loose the bose system either.

Perhaps if I could pin point where the fault lies, I could have that unit removed and shipped to the U.S and have it fixed and sent back to me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
ML's have a problem with no audio. Everyone thinks it is the amplifier, so save your money.

The problem either lies with the fiber optic loop system or the radio itself (see diagram). Follow the instructions starting with the CD player. Radio off and remove the fiber optic cable, then turn the radio on and see if there is a blink.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/mercedesFiberOptic.htm

Then continue to the E-call/Tele. Module under the right front seat.

Which ever component does not work, you will have to by-pass with the M/B by-pass connector which is only available from the dealer $6-8.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fiber Optics Routing.PDF (110.5 KB, 1005 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Get an aftermarket unit that can handle 2 ohms output. Bypass the bose amp but use the bose speakers. OR get an aftermarket headunit & an amp that can handle 2 ohms output & use the bose speakers.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 AM

2003 ML350 Inspiration Package
Hi

Thanks for your advice.

should the radio unit or amplifier have a maximum output of 2 ohms or minimum output of 2 ohms

Is there any reliable online website where i can purchase the M/B by-pass connector? How many would I need for resolve the audio problem?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:05 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
1.You wont need any connectors. If you are buying an aftermarket Head Unit/Radio it means you cant use the Bose amp in the car , but you can use the Bose speakers installed in the car as long as the new radio can handle 2 ohms impedance.
2. If you are buying a new Amp & a New Radio then the new amp has to have 2ohm impedance so you can use the existing Bose speakers.
In both case you will have to tap in into the existing wiring for the sound system. The PDF is the diagram for your car which will be needed during installation.

From the questions you are asking I assume that you haven't done this sort of installation before. It would be wise to get help from a friend who knows electronics or to have a pro shop do the installation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2003 Audio Wiring.pdf (71.5 KB, 2096 views)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM

2004 ML350
MCS

Hey Art, have you or do you know someone who has installed it this way? I want to try it, how's the sound? Thanks for the diagram, seems simple enough.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 ML350 SE
I replace the entire system: aftermarket HU, amp, Focal speakers and slim profile powered sub. Never looked back since. A
Old 09-25-2014, 03:38 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Originally Posted by technutt1994
Hey Art, have you or do you know someone who has installed it this way? I want to try it, how's the sound? Thanks for the diagram, seems simple enough.
My ex car was a 2000 ML320 with non FO amp. I kept the bose amp with bose speakers & added JBL tweeters. Used the bose for mid/highs. Added a monoblock amp for a sub with a shallow 12" pioneer sub. Sounded beautiful.
In your case you have a FO amp which means you cant use it with a aftermarket HU. For a great sound get a aftermarket amp ,which can handle 2ohms. Connect it to existing bose speakers. If you want a nice bass , get another amp + a sub for the bass. You wont regret it.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ml350
Took my stereo apart

ML350, not a Bose system. When in FM radio, no sound, AM, inputs, cassette, all produce sound.
Typically, a small part inside can be replaced and it repairs it, but when i took apart the radio, i discovered that the section responsible for it is sealed in clear hot glue type of substance, so access to components is not practically possible.
Replace the unit or the block in it, but i updated mine to android stereo and it works better with nav, wifi, dvd, etc.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:37 PM

2000 ML320
New updates for NAV/Receivers?

It looks as though there have not been much news on finding a newer compatible system offering NAV with Bose support, Bluetooth etc.
I check with Crutchfield and they don't have anything to offer for my ML320. Not even a BT adapter for my android. Does anyone have any new information on a system that would work?

Thanks a lot
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM

2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Nothing will/can work with the factory FO Bose system, except the original HU. If you have a non FO system, then nothing stops you to do whatever changes you like, & keeping the Bose amp.
If you use the search function, you will find members who have "patched" a Bluetooth adapter.
Updating your profile with the year of your car will help.