M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Just got 2005 ML350 - Some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163
Question Just got 2005 ML350 - Some questions

Hi all,

New here. This week we purchased out first Mercedes Benz. Its a 2005 ML350 Special Edition.

I have read through the forums and still have some questions about our car. Some things I have found are very old topics so I am not totally sure if they have been updated or not.

We have the MCS system with Bose, CD changer, and screens on the seats. I understand that it uses a proprietary fiber optics (not 100% sure what for yet), which makes it hard to find or replace the MCS system. This system is super old by today's standards so I either need to update it by adding missing features or replace it with aftermarket stereo system. It is VERY important for us to add a way to use our iPhone 6 Plus for music and Bluetooth to make calls because of safety. My questions are regarding this topic.

1) Is there a way to add a double din aftermarket system that uses the fiber optics cable? I would like to keep the sub and the amp from Mercedes. The speakers and sub sound great. I'm hoping that someone has made compatible system by now.

2) From what I understand. I cannot add bluetooth to this system unless I have the phone system (which I don't). At first I thought I could add that Bluetooth Adapter like the W164 models but I was wrong. Is there another way of adding Bluetooth to the current system? or is there a way to replace the current MCS system with the W164 version that accepts the Bluetooth Adapter?

3) Our car did not come with the wheel audio control. I would very much like to have this added. Is there a way to add this function to our system?

4) Our system also did not come with navigation. From what I've read... you just need to buy the Navigation drive, splitter, DVD and add it to our current MCS. Can anyone please let me know what items I need to get for sure and/or a thread to show how its done.

5) Our instrument cluster has a lightbulb blown. How hard is that to replace by myself?

6) Can anyone please provide a link to where I can buy a Repair Service Manual? There are so many in EBAY but I don't know which one is good.

7) What tools would you guys recommend that I should buy to do my own upgrades? Links would be great.

Sorry for all the questions and once again thank you for your help!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by Luigi408
Hi all,

New here. This week we purchased out first Mercedes Benz. Its a 2005 ML350 Special Edition.

I have read through the forums and still have some questions about our car. Some things I have found are very old topics so I am not totally sure if they have been updated or not.

We have the MCS system with Bose, CD changer, and screens on the seats. I understand that it uses a proprietary fiber optics (not 100% sure what for yet), which makes it hard to find or replace the MCS system. This system is super old by today's standards so I either need to update it by adding missing features or replace it with aftermarket stereo system. It is VERY important for us to add a way to use our iPhone 6 Plus for music and Bluetooth to make calls because of safety. My questions are regarding this topic.

1) Is there a way to add a double din aftermarket system that uses the fiber optics cable? I would like to keep the sub and the amp from Mercedes. The speakers and sub sound great. I'm hoping that someone has made compatible system by now.

2) From what I understand. I cannot add bluetooth to this system unless I have the phone system (which I don't). At first I thought I could add that Bluetooth Adapter like the W164 models but I was wrong. Is there another way of adding Bluetooth to the current system? or is there a way to replace the current MCS system with the W164 version that accepts the Bluetooth Adapter? Can't help you on audio and bluetooth, but maybe someone else will assist you.

3) Our car did not come with the wheel audio control. I would very much like to have this added. Is there a way to add this function to our system?

4) Our system also did not come with navigation. From what I've read... you just need to buy the Navigation drive, splitter, DVD and add it to our current MCS. Can anyone please let me know what items I need to get for sure and/or a thread to show how its done. You can buy what is needed but the navigation discs are very difficult to find and they were never updated after they were released. Maybe you should consider an after market audio system with bluetooth and GPS.

5) Our instrument cluster has a lightbulb blown. How hard is that to replace by myself? It's not difficult at all. Bring the steering column down as far as it will go and remove the cluster.

6) Can anyone please provide a link to where I can buy a Repair Service Manual? There are so many in EBAY but I don't know which one is good. Try EPC.net.
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/doclist.jsp

7) What tools would you guys recommend that I should buy to do my own upgrades? Links would be great. There are too many to list. You will just have to get them on a repair/need basis.

Sorry for all the questions and once again thank you for your help!
See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I Instrument Cluster.pdf (58.0 KB, 164 views)
Old 11-23-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163
Question More help please

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions.

I think I'm going to do the aftermarket sound system. The problem is getting rid of the Bose amp and putting a different 5 channel amp as replacement (to get rid of the Fiber Optic). Which amp would you guys recommend? I want to keep the Bose speakers, sub, and connect everything to the LCD screens in the seats. Plus have Bluetooth and GPS built in the stereo and connect it to the GPS antenna already in the car. Not sure if I can do it myself or not. Seems super complicated, but if I do it through an audio installation store they are going to charge me too much money. Any tips would help please.

Also, we found one more problem with the car. Our reverse lights aren't working. I changed the bulbs today and they did not light up at all. I checked the fuses, I don't know which one it is, but I checked them all and they were fine. Searching this topic it seems that I might have to replace the reverse light switch located on the shifter. Can anyone supply me with the schematic to open that up and to replace the reverse light switch?

I'm also going to be doing my own oil change. It seems super simple on this car. I bought a Mityvac and the oil filter. Just waiting for my oil to be delivered by Amazon. I think it's going to be fun doing an oil change lol.

Thank again for the help.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
First check fuses 22 & 16 with a test light, with the key in pos. #2. Simply looking at the fuse to see if it is blown is not good enough.

If they are good, then remove the cover to the shifter and access the ten wire connector.

With the key in pos. #2 check the Grey wire at #9 for 12v. If so place the shifter in reverse and then check the Grey wire #10 for 12v.

If there is voltage at #10 then you have a wiring problem to the reverse lights.

If there is no voltage at #10 then you need a new shifter mechanism. There are no parts to replace on your year shifter.
Attached Thumbnails Just got 2005 ML350 - Some questions-n15-5-conn.-2002.jpg