M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ignition switch problem

Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml500
ignition switch problem

hi,
i have a 2000 ml430 and i'm stumped with the problem its giving me.
when i try to start it,it would just crank and engine wont start.
i replaced the crank sensor and did not help with the problem.
whats weird is it would start and run if you spray starting fluid-you can even drive it and it acts normal but,once you shut it off it would exhibit the same problem-crank and wont start unless starting fluid is sprayed in.
i checked fuel pressure-zero at crank but 50- 55 psi when i get it running with starting fluid.
i heard of ignition switch problems on our ml's could this be the culprit on my 430?
also if it was the problem, where is it located and how would i go about replacing this?
thanks
Old 08-26-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
If it was ignition problem, your engine would not crank. If it was DAS problem, the car will start & die straight away.
With the engine off, you must have around 44psi.
It looks like you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be the fuel pump or fuel filter. I would start with the fuel filter. If still no pressure, then its the pump.

PS. Stop spraying starting fluid , you will damage your engine.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml500
Originally Posted by art_arev
If it was ignition problem, your engine would not crank. If it was DAS problem, the car will start & die straight away.
With the engine off, you must have around 44psi.
It looks like you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be the fuel pump or fuel filter. I would start with the fuel filter. If still no pressure, then its the pump.

PS. Stop spraying starting fluid , you will damage your engine.
thank you for the reply
yes,forgot to mention i did replace the fuel pump and updated filter along with the cps
to compare, i also have an 02 ml500 and hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to the service port on the injector rails and yes abt 44 psi
double checked the one on the ml430 and yes also same numbers on the pressure 44 psi not the 50 psi i first mentioned on the original post.
only difference between both is that the ml500 has pressure when ignition is "on"-key on 2nd position/crank.
ml430 zero pressure key on 2nd position/crank.
pressure is normal when both engines are running aka idling.
this problem really has me scratching my head lol

appreciate the headsup on starting fluid-just a last resort thing if i need to move the 430 👍
Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Then, your new pump must be faulty. Check if the electrical plug is properly connected/sitting on the pump. Also when you have changed the fuel filter you could have disturbed the electrical connector next to the filter.
Also change the relay K3 with a similar one from the fusebox, just in case.
You must have pressure in the rail with engine off. The fact that there is no pressure points to the fuel delivery (filter/pump).
If you bought a ching chong fuel pump, & not a bosch one, it is possible that it is faulty.