M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

BAS/ESP light comes on, after battery change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
BAS/ESP light comes on, after battery change?

2004 ML350: This happened to me once before, and a wheel alignment actually solved the issue for me. When out of degree spec it will trigger the fault...and I had just recently at the time had driveshaft bearing replaced.

This time: went out to car and no start. I just heard that click, still had full lights and radio. I tried to jump start but this did not help. I was resigned to thinking it was my starter. Then my neighbor tried a Stanley portable jump starter...and it worked. My ML350 started right up.

I brought it to my local shop and they checked battery....definitely the cause of my issue at extremely low level. It wasn't a case of accidentally leaving lights on or something like that. It was just a very old battery and it was time. We replaced with new Deca battery. But in disconnecting battery terminals, it caused the BAS/ESP to trip after new battery inserted...and the shop could not reset this. They told me scan was clean:no fault codes. They also checked electrical voltages and anything between battery and starter/solenoid...all ok.

I tried the 'left/right/center' steering wheel BAS reset trick...was so sure this would work. Unfortunately nope it did not.

I'm pretty sure that the battery replacement caused the BAS/ESP light to trip on....but haven't figured out how to reset this. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. The car drives perfect no noticeable change. It's an annoyance seeing that light on dashboard...
Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I conclusively tracked down my intermittent BAS ESP/4ETS lights flashing and Brake Malfucntion beep/Transmission in Limp mode issues to

F22 : 15A : Traction control/cruise control/transmission/instrument cluster
F27 : 40Amp : ABS Hydraulic Unit

F22 for sure was oxidized..and I guess, it would have built up higher resistance causing low voltage error codes on Pin 87 of the ABS relay..

Problem has completely disappeared after replacing the 2 fuses.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
BAS light

Yes so sorry everyone I had forgotten I even posted this originally. My resolution was also simply a fuse! I'm just not sure which one specifically. It was on the diagram panel (engine). The fuse was BAS, dashboard lights, roof lights.

When my battery went I had jumped it with a portable jumper, then brought it two blocks to a service station n at my home. I figured it was 'just a battery' so didn't drive to my regular mechanic. Looking back...for them to not have checked the fuses after a battery replacement or when my BAS light came on....guess they just didn't care enough

Originally Posted by mihir_d
I conclusively tracked down my intermittent BAS ESP/4ETS lights flashing and Brake Malfucntion beep/Transmission in Limp mode issues to

F22 : 15A : Traction control/cruise control/transmission/instrument cluster
F27 : 40Amp : ABS Hydraulic Unit

F22 for sure was oxidized..and I guess, it would have built up higher resistance causing low voltage error codes on Pin 87 of the ABS relay..

Problem has completely disappeared after replacing the 2 fuses.