M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Sunroof and electrical problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320; 2014 C250
Sunroof and electrical problem

Hi everyone. I recently inherited my parents' 2000 ML320 and am trying to "restore" it to what it was like when they bought it new. I'm having a lot of fun and the car looks terrific. Two issues are really plaguing me and I would love some feedback before I take it to my Mercedes mechanics and pay a boatload of $ .

1. There has been a leak in the sunroof, the tubes were cleaned recently, but there is still a leak. Rainwater doesn't get in, but if you mistakenly take it to the carwash, which I did, water pours in directly from the sunroof itself. The sunroof has a substantial rattle in the back and wind noise over 50mph. You can tinker with opening and closing it in tiny increments and make most of the wind noise go away. I don't think it is adjusted properly. I have manually cranked it and reset the auto switch by holding it etc. Neither helped in fact manually cranking it made it worse. The only thing I can see that is visibly broken is one of the wind deflector clips, but the other one functions so the deflector still functions. I have adjusted the back right (from reading here) and that helped the rattle issue but not the wind. Any suggestions on how to adjust this thing? (disclaimer: this is not the sunroof that came when new, that one was replaced under warranty. The new sunroof has never been right, and now the wind noise is getting worse

2. I think due to the leak, my auto dimming rearview and side mirrors no longer work. . The overhead trip computer, glovebox and visor lights are out and the rear wiper only works when in reverse. The stereo will not cut off automatically when you turn the car off but it will turn itself off after 1 hour of play. F10 fuse keeps blowing. The defrost mirror does and map lights on the rearview still function.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing some suggestions! I take it to a local shop that only works on and restores Mercedes-they seem to be very knowledge but they are not cheap!
Old 03-19-2016, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
The leak and rattling must be addressed immediately as your upper wiring harness will corrode. You must look for a shop that exclusively deals with repair and installation of sunroofs.

Is your headliner saturated when you go through the car wash?

All of the components that are not working are controlled by fuse #10 (radio, glove box light, rear wiper & washer) and then it supplies voltage to connector sleeve Z54/1 which also operates those components listed.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof and electrical problem-2016-03-19_041601.jpg   Sunroof and electrical problem-2016-03-19_042034.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320; 2014 C250
Thank you! No the headliner shows no damage and isn't wet. The leak dropped straight from the sunroof onto my lap from the front left corner of the roof. I have seen it leak from the overhead light once it leaked from the area where the crank is located