M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brake light sensor is beeping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML430
Brake light sensor is beeping

I had my brakes replaced recently and ever since then the brake light is on and the display is beeping as if the emergency brake is on. I have had several mechanics look at it and try to figure it out however they cannot. The last one said it was an ABS relay which makes no sense. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle and I am disabled with limited income. Please help me solve this problem or tell me what it might be that is causing the problem. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The first thing you have to confirm is that when they(the shop) changed the pads they also replaced the wear sensors with new not used or the old ones-----what did they do??
Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Black E320
There could be a few different issues. The relay could be an issue. They are around $20 on eBay. It could be a brake sensor issue. You would know if it's the sensors if the beeping only occurs when you apply the brakes.

If the beeping occurs while driving then you could have a larger problem. follow these steps
1. Turn on the vehicle and apply the brakes. Have another person verify that the brake lights come on. If they don't then you need to replace the brake switch. The part is also around $20 online and you can YouTube how to install it.
2. If this is not the problem then You will need to remove the driver side headlight and physically inspect the unit. Clean the ABS ground the is located there and inspect the ABS pump and harness. A common problem is the washer fluid reservoir leaking onto the ABS unit.
&
3. If all of this fails then you may send the unit out for repair. This eBay seller offer repair options for the unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/280677694877

I have been through this process with my mother in law's ML and I will be sending out the unit next week.

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2016, 08:04 AM

Mercedes ML430
I do not know if they attached the sensor but I bought the OEM parts and it had a sensor. Perhaps he did not attach it but I do not know. All I know is that if it is the ABS hydraulic sensor it would cost me almost $2000.00 which is ridiculous. They also said it might be the relay. This all occurred after I had the brake pads replaced. I appreciate your response but I do not know the answer to if they attached the sensor. When I ordered the OEM parts I made sure that it had the sensor included. I just think it is weird that after they were replaced is when the problem started so I am sure that has something to do with it. I do not have the skills to check it myself and have to rely on their guessing game about what it might be. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:08 AM

Mercedes ML430
I appreciate the video and will attempt to find out if this is the problem. The car is in the shop so I do not have access to it. They said it might be the ABS hydraulic unit but I cannot afford that so I will explore the video and options you provided. Please let me know if you think it could be anything else. It occurs while driving and when I stop at a light the beeping stops. When I start accelerating again the beeping commences. Thank you very much for your time and effort researching this matter. I hope to speak with you again. Have a great day.
Lance.

Last edited by Racerx18691; 05-06-2016 at 08:10 AM.