M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2001 ML 320 Rear Suspension Creaking Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes ML 320 (W163) Right Hand Drive
2001 ML 320 Rear Suspension Creaking Passenger Side

So ive got a nasty creak from passenger side wishbone area when going over bumps, etc. I've searched the forum and net and found the anti-roll bar bushes sometimes creak when dry, so have lubed these right up, but no joy in curing the issue.

Upon further investigation it look likes the main wishbone bushes are noisy whenever the wishbone moves up and down.

I've only had the car a month or so, and not long before the chap sold it to me, it had new wishbone fitted, and naturally the whole suspension that side was apart.

Is it simply a case of dropping the wishbone out and applying loads of silicone grease to try and provide some lube? Could the wishbone securing bolts be done up too tight?

Does anyone have instructions on how to take the wishbone off, any special tools needed?

thanks in advance,
Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Black E320

As you can see in the video the shock and spring are located between the bolts for the rear upper control arm. To replace the upper control arm you need to remove the shock and spring. No special tools are needed.

I replaced my front shocks, upper control arms, lower ball joints, and outer tie rods myself. They all needed regular tools accept I had to use a torch on the tie rod bolts to loosen them.
The following users liked this post:
chris-holland (07-14-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 AM

Problem persists ! I've figured out it looks like the wishbone bushes for sure. I've tried disconnecting them, released the wishbone, greased up the rubbers with silicone, and still noise !

So, I picked up a decent second hand wishbone on ebay and went to fit it, but cant get the shock absorber to release from the wishbone. Ive tried some heat, smacking it with a rubber hammer, but no joy !

Anybody have any ideas how to release it?
Old 08-09-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ml320
To release the wishbone I just removed the 21mm bolts and nuts and sprayed the joints with wd40 at the bushings. Just a little wiggle, they will drop out.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM

Separating the suspension shock from wishbone

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
To release the wishbone I just removed the 21mm bolts and nuts and sprayed the joints with wd40 at the bushings. Just a little wiggle, they will drop out.
Thanks, but its the suspension release Im struggling with. Ive not played in a couple of weeks, but aiming this weekend to jack the car up and undo the 18mm nut on the bottom of the shock some, then smack it hard with a hammer. Any other ideas would be appreciated though !
Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ml320
Originally Posted by chris-holland
Thanks, but its the suspension release Im struggling with. Ive not played in a couple of weeks, but aiming this weekend to jack the car up and undo the 18mm nut on the bottom of the shock some, then smack it hard with a hammer. Any other ideas would be appreciated though !
If you are trying to drop out the coilover, you are correct to remove the 18mm underside nut. You still need to remove the 21mm nuts and bolts from the wishbone and push down to separate it from the suspension. Spray where the bottom of the coilover and wishbone meet with pb blaster. When I dropped my coilover out, I had also loosened the top 13mm nuts on top to provide some wiggle play before pulling the coilover completely out.