M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Stealer negligence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163 5.0 liter
Stealer negligence

Hi all,

I had a check engine light issue and the dealer replaced the egr valve to fix the issue. 750 dollars paid and I drive the car 2 miles when it starts stalling at a red light. Check engine light is back on and I finally get it back to the dealer after it stalls/backfires a few more times. Dealer looks at it again and says the issue was caused by a dry rotted crankcase breather hose part number 112-018-04-82. They said it is an old car and that the break in the hose was not their fault. So I took my "dry rotted" hose to another mechanic and he said that he has never seen it crack like that and that the reason it cracked was that it wasn't installed properly and that the force of air caused it to pop off and crack. He said the dealer probably took off the hose when checking for the egr malfunction. So basically I drove about 5 miles with this hose disconnected!

I'm concerned that this caused damage to the engine. Rocks dust getting sucked into the crankcase. I'm livid. Of course dealer won't admit fault! Please let me know.

This is not the first time with this dealer. They left another hose unplugged a few years back and overfilled my oil.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML320, 1998 E300TD
It is not likely that any damaging debris would have gotten in over 5 miles on the road. Any small debris would have been caught by the oil filter, so permanent damage is not likely. I would advise finding another dealer. In most areas Benz dealers are very competitive and willing to one up other dealers to attain a new customer.