Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W163)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

M-Class (W163) 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2004, 02:27 AM   #1

ML320 Shifting Problems, Codes Available. HELP!

After going through the many threads regarding transmission issues, I have yet to pinpoint exactly what my problem is. I have a 99 ML320, that is out of warranty. A very good friend of mine is a ASE master technician and he is helping me repair the vehicle. He has the scantools to extract tranny codes, so I have those codes available to anyone who could help me out.

Anyhow, a couple months ago, every couple of days the car would either not shift up into a higher gear, stuck in 2nd gear it seems, or get stuckin 3-4th gear, and will not downshift when vehicle has slowed down to a stop. This means at a stop light it would accelerate extremely slow due to the higher gear. I would then turn the car off and turn it back on, and the problem would be gone. Back to normal.

A couple of days ago, the problem has came back, but this time, it is here for good. I tried turning off and back on to no avail. So right now, it wont upshift past 2nd gear. I initially presumed it was limp mode related, but my friend says a code related to the RPM sensor is being indicated in the check engine light.

He is a very talented technician, but has limited knowledge regarding new MBs. I was hoping someone here experienced the same problem and could help me out. I would hate to bring it to dealer and deal with those sharks.

Thanks.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

xbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #2

I would love to help, but you wouldn't want me to because I work at a dealer and that makes me a shark.
saturnstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I would love to help, but you wouldn't want me to because I work at a dealer and that makes me a shark.
BWAHAHA :v
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 02:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I apologize for sterotyping dealerships, but while my vehicle was under warranty, I had brought it in over 10 times for warranty service, and received the worst service ever. Walnut Creek, CA MB that is. Unless I was paying for the service, they treated me like dog meat. As if I wanted all of these warranty problems.

It could be dealer specific, but I hear just as bad things at the Pleasanton dealership. Believe me, I am not the type to hate on dealership employees as I was one in the past. I was a salesman for VW back in the day. I saw some fairly shady business practices by upper management to squeeze peoples pockets... but then again, that could just be the dealer I worked at. But all I know is that they didn't get rich by playing nice.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

xbrxx
xbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #5

I don't have a clue as to what your problem is buy my first experience with a MB dealer was at the Walnut Creek dealer and I was very impressed with their quick, and accurate warrenty fix. If I could, I would go back to them but I live on the other side of the continent.
silveroldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #6

Not that I really know anything about ML transmissions (well it's the only thing that hasn't broken in mine), but maybe have the transmission's software updated to the latest version??? I wouldn't change the ATF unless it's foamy or some color it's not supposed to be.
dgcamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
Almost a Member!

Do you have the code numbers. If it is a RPM sensor, it is most likely the speed sensor built into the conductor plate assy.
f4iman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 PM

Tags
1998, 320, acceleration, check, conductor, engine, gear, light, limp, ml, ml320, plate, slip, slow, stuck, transmission, upshift, w163