M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 Shifting Problems, Codes Available. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 Shifting Problems, Codes Available. HELP!

After going through the many threads regarding transmission issues, I have yet to pinpoint exactly what my problem is. I have a 99 ML320, that is out of warranty. A very good friend of mine is a ASE master technician and he is helping me repair the vehicle. He has the scantools to extract tranny codes, so I have those codes available to anyone who could help me out.

Anyhow, a couple months ago, every couple of days the car would either not shift up into a higher gear, stuck in 2nd gear it seems, or get stuckin 3-4th gear, and will not downshift when vehicle has slowed down to a stop. This means at a stop light it would accelerate extremely slow due to the higher gear. I would then turn the car off and turn it back on, and the problem would be gone. Back to normal.

A couple of days ago, the problem has came back, but this time, it is here for good. I tried turning off and back on to no avail. So right now, it wont upshift past 2nd gear. I initially presumed it was limp mode related, but my friend says a code related to the RPM sensor is being indicated in the check engine light.

He is a very talented technician, but has limited knowledge regarding new MBs. I was hoping someone here experienced the same problem and could help me out. I would hate to bring it to dealer and deal with those sharks.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to help, but you wouldn't want me to because I work at a dealer and that makes me a shark.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I would love to help, but you wouldn't want me to because I work at a dealer and that makes me a shark.
BWAHAHA :v
Old 10-02-2004, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I apologize for sterotyping dealerships, but while my vehicle was under warranty, I had brought it in over 10 times for warranty service, and received the worst service ever. Walnut Creek, CA MB that is. Unless I was paying for the service, they treated me like dog meat. As if I wanted all of these warranty problems.

It could be dealer specific, but I hear just as bad things at the Pleasanton dealership. Believe me, I am not the type to hate on dealership employees as I was one in the past. I was a salesman for VW back in the day. I saw some fairly shady business practices by upper management to squeeze peoples pockets... but then again, that could just be the dealer I worked at. But all I know is that they didn't get rich by playing nice.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

xbrxx
Old 02-05-2006, 06:11 PM

I don't have a clue as to what your problem is buy my first experience with a MB dealer was at the Walnut Creek dealer and I was very impressed with their quick, and accurate warrenty fix. If I could, I would go back to them but I live on the other side of the continent.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM

Not that I really know anything about ML transmissions (well it's the only thing that hasn't broken in mine), but maybe have the transmission's software updated to the latest version??? I wouldn't change the ATF unless it's foamy or some color it's not supposed to be.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have the code numbers. If it is a RPM sensor, it is most likely the speed sensor built into the conductor plate assy.