M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Location of SIRIUS Antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Location of SIRIUS Antenna

I have a R Class on order and intend to order the SIRIUS system. Can anyone with a new 2006 ML tell me where the antenna for the SIRIUS radio is located? Is it integrated into the small antenna on the top of the car or is it a "ugly black box" pasted onto another part of the car like earlier satelite antennas? Thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Hello Jack!

Its integrated into the glass. Where, specifically? I don't know. That is why sat radio is only a factory option.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Hello Jack!

Its integrated into the glass. Where, specifically? I don't know. That is why sat radio is only a factory option.
Thanks Jack...I am glad they solved that problem...some of those trunk top installs were ugly.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,169 Likes on 840 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
SIRIUS antenna

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Hello Jack!

I'm not so sure it's glass-integrated - the M-B website feature on it shows the signal coming from the rear of the trunk on a sedan. I know it's not visible, though.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/te...p?accCode=3004
Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I have a R Class on order and intend to order the SIRIUS system. Can anyone with a new 2006 ML tell me where the antenna for the SIRIUS radio is located? Is it integrated into the small antenna on the top of the car or is it a "ugly black box" pasted onto another part of the car like earlier satelite antennas? Thanks
I'm not sure if someone with a 2006 M-class can tell you, but I can. The antenna is under the plastic panel that is between the roof and the top of the rear hatch.

-s-
Old 06-13-2005, 02:10 PM

MBs

Here a picture of that rectangular plastic panel across the rear roof. The Sirius antenna is under there on the driver's side, and not visible.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Incidentally, if you have an antenna module without SIRIUS, you will need to replace the whole module to get the SIRIUS antenna as it is integrated with the other antennas (or add an extra SIRIUS antenna).

I believe the module will be the same used on the R-class.

-s-
Old 06-13-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the information...I am relieved to see that MB has integrated the antenna and it will not require a install somewhere on the car. It will be one of my options so there should not be a problem. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
Originally Posted by scorchie
Incidentally, if you have an antenna module without SIRIUS, you will need to replace the whole module to get the SIRIUS antenna as it is integrated with the other antennas (or add an extra SIRIUS antenna).

I believe the module will be the same used on the R-class.

-s-
Actually, you either get Sirius wiring, including antenna or you don't. It's a factory only option. You could install the antenna only into the antenna module, it simply snaps into place and the wiring plugs into it. (if the wiring is there when the antenna isn't) From everything we have heard, neither the antenna leads or MOST lines will be pre-installed. You would have to order every part and line involved in the system.

However, if you want it, order it with the car. You have to take the headliner out to access the antenna module, not a small job. I have done this, and don't want to do it again. You're just asking for trouble.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM

MBs
Here's the SIRIUS installation they showed at the M-class Road Rally event. Not a particularly clean install...
Attached Thumbnails Location of SIRIUS Antenna-pic00017.jpg  

Last edited by Wolfgang; 06-13-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
That's not where it goes on production cars. That must have been a very early car with engineering equipment. That is under the right side rear seat, where the DVD player goes when you get the rear entertainment system.

The Sirius control unit goes on the driver's side under the seat, on the bottom of the compartment. If you have TeleAid and phone, they go above it.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:58 PM

MBs
Thanks for clearing that up. It was indeed an early production vehicle from December 2004.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mbbodytech
Actually, you either get Sirius wiring, including antenna or you don't. It's a factory only option. You could install the antenna only into the antenna module, it simply snaps into place and the wiring plugs into it. (if the wiring is there when the antenna isn't) From everything we have heard, neither the antenna leads or MOST lines will be pre-installed. You would have to order every part and line involved in the system.

However, if you want it, order it with the car. You have to take the headliner out to access the antenna module, not a small job. I have done this, and don't want to do it again. You're just asking for trouble.
You're probably not aware what we do, but we specialize in adding things into cars that "aren't supposed to have it". You personally may not want to do it because you are flat rate, or it's not your usual line, or any number of reasons you don't explain; but others don't shy away from such work. On ordering it ahead of time... sometimes a customer doesn't have the opportunity to order the car the way he or she wants, or the customer doesn't want it at first and wants it later. Either way, there's always a reason.

Unfortunately, the wiring is easy to get, but the antenna by itself is not. Power harness, short MOST cable, and antenna leads cost about $100.

-s-
Old 06-15-2005, 10:50 AM

1997 E320 Sedan
I was listening to the iPod Walkaround (dealer only) last night and they in fact mentioned that the antenna's for the various components were located in a weather proof location near the back of the ML above the rear hatch.

I stand corrected and it seems that Greg, scorchie and wolfgang are correct.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:08 PM

2012 S550
2003 Mercedes E320 W211

I have a fiber otpic system that seems to run the amplifier and cd changer from the head unit. I see many different head units from china that look as though they may work with the fiber optic system. Is there any other work around that will allow me to upgrade my stereo head unit?