M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

headrest DVD+monitor (old post made to new thread)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headrest DVD+monitor (old post made to new thread)

i posted this on another thread. i just others may want to see....

i purchased these head rests after i bought my ML and installed them myself. it was ALOT cheaper and better than what the dealership had. the dealership had that single one behind the center console.

i didnt have to send them my headrests; instead they will send you new headrests with the monitors installed. the ones i bought had the DVD player as part of the monitors, so each kid can watch their own movie. everything was included, even the wireless headphones and the FM modulator.

you give them the year, color and make of your car and thats it. the headrests are a little bit bigger (not by much) and the leather is an exact match. the only difference is that they will not go all the way down, because the stock headrest have a curved bar. its not an issue at all, especially becaue the space left is where keep the headphones (see pic)

the installation was suprisingly easier than expected. ill do a write up if anyone is interested, but the place i bought it from now offers a $300 installation credit.

I found two types of headrest units with DVD player and screen as one unit: AUDIOVOX and VISUALOGIC. I chose the AUDIOVOX because 1) it was alot cheaper 2) its already prewired so i can put a dvd in one monitor and it can be shown on both screens. in the VISUALOGIC you need to plug in a wire to the other screen.
3) it was alot cheaper.

hope this helps.
post if you have any questions.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Are there any issues with the PRE-SAFE (or whatever its name is) system that engages seconds before a crash and tightens the seat belts, closes windows, as well as moves the headrests forward to prepare for an impact? I don't own an ML yet, I will however in about 2 weeks and I was interested to find out as I am preparing to order it with the rear entertainment system.

thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 AM

this system will NOT work with the motorized headrests.

mine arent motorized and i think that presafe thing (in terms of the headrests) only applies to the motorized headrests.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by chuey12
this system will NOT work with the motorized headrests.

mine arent motorized and i think that presafe thing (in terms of the headrests) only applies to the motorized headrests.
So the motorized headrests are an option? I thought it was standard. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Can you give us more details

Hi, I was looking into the same product from Vizualogic and just found out about the Audiovox by your post.

Can you be a little more specific, on the Audiovox web I can only find the operation manual and no installation instructions.

Do you have details or pictures during installation, what goes where and stuff. I do not want to mess up my electronics.

How about sound using the FM modulator?

Also, does the leather match the seats?

Thanks

J
Old 01-09-2006, 10:47 PM

2006 ML350
setup looks nice. do you know what is the difference between visualogic and audiovox setup? what was the reason behind choosing audiovox ? what is the price? and where did you order , online or any store?

sorry for asking too many question? but very much interested in getting one
Old 01-10-2006, 08:30 AM

here is the link for the audiovox:

audiovox headrest

and for the visualogic:

visualogic headrest

the leather for both match our seats perfectly, even the little wrinkles in the leather match.

my wife has a toyota 4runner with the visualogic videoheadrests installed. they do look nice and the functionality is similiar to the audiovox EXCEPT that you have to hook up a wire externally from 1 monitor to the other if you want to watch the same movie on both screens. mind you she has the setup where each hadrest has its own DVD player. Visualogic makes one where only one headrest has the DVD player and with that one you wouldnt need the external wire (but their is only 1 DVD player).
i paid i think aobut $1300 for mine, but the website is now a bit more but he is offering $300 credit for installation. when i get home ill look up the website where i bought mine and ill post it.
The visualogic DVDplayer headrest was about $2000+

i bought the audiovox because: it was cheaper, i didnt have to use that external wire, it looks just as good as the visualogic, and it was CHEAPER!!

it does come with a wireless FM modulator, which i didnt install. to be honest i have no desire to hear barney or Cinderella while im driving; especially when my 3 1/2 y/o insists on watching the same thing over and over and over again. i figured if i want to hear it i could just audio wire it to the MP3 outlet in the glove box.... but yes it does come with a wireless FM modulator. come to think of it maybe i should just go ahead and intall it.

installation really is simple (alot simpler than you would think) and i can do a step by step with pic if you want, but then again the guy is offering that credit so..... Maybe you can get a lower price and offer to self install??
in a nut shell:
1:remove the back of the seats. there are 2 screws on the bottom of the back. unscrew them and the back comes off. there is a clip on the headrest bar that hold the head rest onto the seat. remove this and the headrests come off.
2: you only need 1 constant power wire, 1 accessory wire, 1 ground. all are found just under the center fascia.

trust me. im an idiot and if i can do it so can you.
i will say this. this setup is soo much better than whats stock at the dealership.

post if you have any questions...

Last edited by chuey12; 01-10-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 AM

http://headrestvideo.com/
Old 01-10-2006, 10:28 AM

Please do the Step by Step picture instructions, I think it will be a great lesson for all of us that have two left hands for installing things.

I got the two screws under the back of the seat but the center connections scare me.

Thanks for your time.

J
Old 01-10-2006, 07:06 PM

ill try to do a quick write up sometime during the weekend, if not then ill try next weekend...
Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 AM

Chuey, were you able to take those pictures for us, I am about to take the plunge and prefer to have installation pictures, specially electric connections.

Thanks
J
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 AM

ignore this. i screwed up.

Last edited by chuey12; 02-22-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM

ok here is my quick guide. if you have any questions, just post and ill get to them as soon as i can.
-this is really easy. just take your time and try not scratch anything.
-youll need a star hex screw driver, if memeroy serves its a #15.

1. Remove headrests:
there r 2 screws on the bottom of the rear panel to the front seats. Remove these 2 screws and the rear panel just slides off. There is a clip on 1 of the bars of the head rest. remove this clip and slide the head rest off. (I would put the clip back on the old headrest so you dont lose it).

2. Remove the ashtray:
Open the ashtray. take the wood fascia off by just pushing it up. it takes a little force but it will come off.

There r 2 screws on the side of the ashtray. remove these screws.
Close the ashtray and slide it up and out. be careful, you will need to unclip the wire connection before you completely take it out.
BTW this wire connection is what i used for the ignition on/off power. i also hard wired my radar detector to this wire as well . dont do what i did and use the light wire. make sure u use the lighter wire instead. initially my dvd player only worked when the ashtray was open (the light in the ashtray turns on).

3. Removing cup holder fascia.
open up center console. you will see 2 slots to the front inside. put a screw driver in each hole and slide the outside front cover off.

Unscrew the 2 screws at the end(towards the center console) of the cup holder plate.

Slide the cup holder plate FORWARD (towards the ashtray) and then is should just slide out.

this is a pic of the slots, hence the necessity to slide forward...

4. the wires.
towards the back you will see a big connector with a black plastic "bar". remove this bar and you will use this connector for your constant power on.
Use a volt meter to determine which is constantly on. from my pic it looks like its the red one...just use a volt meter to make sure.

i put the gound wire directly onto the metal you see in the openining. Just unscrew one of the metal screws, attach the ground wire (the black wire in the pic) and rescrew it.

5. the DVD headrests.
slide the wires and put the headrests in. dont take off the plastic wrap until after you slide the wires trhough. All my extra wire i left inside the back seats.

hey, my wife's getting pissed 'cause its my turn to take care of the baby. ill finish this tonight or tomorrow. Sorry. the rest is pretty easy anyway...

Last edited by chuey12; 02-22-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Great, thanks for taking the time, I will wait for Part 2.

One question, when you get the red wire for constant power, does the dvd players stay on after you turn of the car, (or do you test the power with the car on). I do not want this to happen and eventually drain my batteries.

J
Old 03-12-2006, 10:06 PM

WEB Address for the headrests

Hello:
Could you please give me the web address of the manufacturer of these headrest.