M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Another Backup Camera Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
Another Backup Camera Question

I just bought an 07 ML500. I have ready many posts regarding installing a backup camera. Apparently the code to enter the configuration menu is different based on model of command center. I am able to get into this menu using OK + 7 + Mute. But I don't have any options resembling the posts of enabling the camera. The firmware version is from 2006. Could it be I just need to have the dealership upgrade the firmware? Any other ideas on how to enable the camera option are appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM

ML500
Update for anyone that needs the info

I have researched this topic for two weeks and read everything I can find on enabling the backup camera like some have been able to do. From what I can tell, those that can enter the engineering mode are either older units (but pre what year, I don't know), or they appear to be newer C class vehicles.
I spoke to a company that says it takes 30 seconds to change this setting hooked up to "the computer", and that this was the same way the dealership would to it. I called the dealer again after having the ML there 2 weeks ago and being told no, it does not support a camera, and this time I persisted, and was told they can enable it with the SDS, but don't like to because they did it once and installed a camera and it caused all kinds of problems with the Command unit that they had to replace it.
It also depends on if your Command reads 75 Ohms on pins 1 and 7 on the empty connector, and apparently this can be determined just by the part number ( I found out after removing the unit and measuring). The dealer did not tell me the part number, but another post I read says model number 7040 supports the camera, and model number 7024 does not.
I hope this saves some people alot of time and head aches on trying to figure all this out. Hopefully this is accurate information.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by benzbud
I have researched this topic for two weeks and read everything I can find on enabling the backup camera like some have been able to do. From what I can tell, those that can enter the engineering mode are either older units (but pre what year, I don't know), or they appear to be newer C class vehicles.
I spoke to a company that says it takes 30 seconds to change this setting hooked up to "the computer", and that this was the same way the dealership would to it. I called the dealer again after having the ML there 2 weeks ago and being told no, it does not support a camera, and this time I persisted, and was told they can enable it with the SDS, but don't like to because they did it once and installed a camera and it caused all kinds of problems with the Command unit that they had to replace it.
It also depends on if your Command reads 75 Ohms on pins 1 and 7 on the empty connector, and apparently this can be determined just by the part number ( I found out after removing the unit and measuring). The dealer did not tell me the part number, but another post I read says model number 7040 supports the camera, and model number 7024 does not.
I hope this saves some people alot of time and head aches on trying to figure all this out. Hopefully this is accurate information.

yes, this is correct: here are the basics on adding a camera to your W164:

If you have a 2006-2008 W164 your radio may or may not be camera ready.. The only absolute way to be sure of this is to check the resistance between pins 1 and 7 on the command at the 'B' (black 12 pin) connector. If the resistance reads 75 ohms then your command has the camera input circuitry installed. Model numbers are not a clear indicator as MB had to source different command units at various points during production and this resulted in some radios that are cam ready that are not supposed to be. Anyway, once you check here are your options:

If your command is camera ready, You can ship the radio to us to have the camera input enabled. We will ship the comand back same day and include the adapter cable to connect into the factory plug to allow the camera input. then you just need a camera and of course to install everything. Alternately, the dealer can perform the programming as well if you can get them to do this (Dealers have been explicitly told by MB to NOT do this type of programming) and they know how. You will still need the factory connectors to connect the camera.

If the command is not camera ready, then the option is to have the command converted to accept a camera input. This is called an RGB conversion because the actual RGB output to the command LCD screen is tapped and used to run outside video into the command. This is done by disassembling the command and installing a special board that provides a camera video input as well as an external video input (e.g. to view an external ipod or DVD source on the command). The RGB conversion is a difficult modification and must be done correctly for everything to work properly. The radio will have to be sent in to us and will take 1 day to perform. You get the radio back with a new input cable and converter box that has the inputs on it. From there, the camera installation is similar to the first case although there are a few additional wires that must be run in the vehicle.

Note that both options are not really DIY as there is a decent amount of disassembly an wiring to be done. I would recommend having them done professionally (although if anyone has the itch and wants to try to DIY as always i'll be glad to help out with any info or pointers). Typical professional parts+ installation for the camera option runs around $800-$1100 depending on area and which option you need.

Finally if you have a camera ready command there is also a video input option which allows the command to be also used as a video input. This is a plug in module that sits behind the radio and provides an additional video (and audio) inputs so that you can watch an AV source on the front screen. To view the AV source, you simply select 'aux' from the source menu and then the video input is selected using the steering wheel buttons.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

2007 C230
Backup Question

Originally Posted by rob13572468
yes, this is correct: here are the basics on adding a camera to your W164:

If you have a 2006-2008 W164 your radio may or may not be camera ready.. The only absolute way to be sure of this is to check the resistance between pins 1 and 7 on the command at the 'B' (black 12 pin) connector. If the resistance reads 75 ohms then your command has the camera input circuitry installed. Model numbers are not a clear indicator as MB had to source different command units at various points during production and this resulted in some radios that are cam ready that are not supposed to be. Anyway, once you check here are your options:

If your command is camera ready, You can ship the radio to us to have the camera input enabled. We will ship the comand back same day and include the adapter cable to connect into the factory plug to allow the camera input. then you just need a camera and of course to install everything. Alternately, the dealer can perform the programming as well if you can get them to do this (Dealers have been explicitly told by MB to NOT do this type of programming) and they know how. You will still need the factory connectors to connect the camera.

If the command is not camera ready, then the option is to have the command converted to accept a camera input. This is called an RGB conversion because the actual RGB output to the command LCD screen is tapped and used to run outside video into the command. This is done by disassembling the command and installing a special board that provides a camera video input as well as an external video input (e.g. to view an external ipod or DVD source on the command). The RGB conversion is a difficult modification and must be done correctly for everything to work properly. The radio will have to be sent in to us and will take 1 day to perform. You get the radio back with a new input cable and converter box that has the inputs on it. From there, the camera installation is similar to the first case although there are a few additional wires that must be run in the vehicle.

Note that both options are not really DIY as there is a decent amount of disassembly an wiring to be done. I would recommend having them done professionally (although if anyone has the itch and wants to try to DIY as always i'll be glad to help out with any info or pointers). Typical professional parts+ installation for the camera option runs around $800-$1100 depending on area and which option you need.

Finally if you have a camera ready command there is also a video input option which allows the command to be also used as a video input. This is a plug in module that sits behind the radio and provides an additional video (and audio) inputs so that you can watch an AV source on the front screen. To view the AV source, you simply select 'aux' from the source menu and then the video input is selected using the steering wheel buttons.
ok so if i understand this correctly...

1. Remove the head unit
2. Check the Pins (Where are these located?)
3. If Camera Ready, Unit must be programmed (Can this be Done DIY)
4. Install Camera ( Can Aftermarket Camera be installed, if so - do you have any recommendations)

5. Re-install head unit with Camera Attached.

Do you have any detailed instructions of how this can be done...
Does the Camera have to be installed to any "reverse" Cables?

Anything Further required??
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by akaplay07
ok so if i understand this correctly...

1. Remove the head unit
2. Check the Pins (Where are these located?)
3. If Camera Ready, Unit must be programmed (Can this be Done DIY)
4. Install Camera ( Can Aftermarket Camera be installed, if so - do you have any recommendations)

5. Re-install head unit with Camera Attached.

Do you have any detailed instructions of how this can be done...
Does the Camera have to be installed to any "reverse" Cables?

Anything Further required??
Yes, you pull the HU and check the pins: they are inside the big 40 pin square connector on the back of the radio (unless its the 09-10 model with the the SD slot on the front which are all camera capable.

The programming for ML/GL/R commands cannot be done DIY... You either need an SDS machine with engineering mode or one of our programming modules (and the SDS units are being phased out for newer software that does not allow coding on the fly )

You then install the camera... you can install various aftermarket cameras which work perfectly well. There are even models like the kenwood that look just like factory. The installation is a good bit of work so if you are going to DIY it prepare to spend a weekend doing the job. The camera gets powered to ignition (switched power) which can be grabbed at the cigarette plug.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM

W164
W164 with MCSII Camera - Help

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I desperately need help. I have a 2006 ML500 with MCSII Comand.

I installed a backup camera (eBay Cheapie) and for the rest of the install I purchased an original wiring harness and back up camera voltage supply module (N66/10) from MB and wired everything in according to WIS.

The only thing I'm not sure on is the wiring from Camera to the voltage supply module.

Here's what I did:
- Power from pin 7 of luggage compartment fuse panel (fuse 37 - 5A) to N66/10
- Connected WH/BK wire to pin 4 (WHT Wire) at left back-up light to N66/10
- Brown wire from N66/10 grounded at grounding point W17/1 under left rear seat
- Black wire from N66/10 to back of COMAND Pin 1 (Video Ground)
- White wire form N66/10 to back of COMAND Pin 7 (Video In)
This is the vehicle wiring portion.

The Camera to Voltage supply module:
- Power (+) for camera connected to Pin 4 of N66/10
- Ground (-) for camera connected to Pin 3 of N66/10
- Video Signal Wire from Camera connected to Pin 1 of N66/10
- Video Ground from Camera connected to Pin 2 of N66/10

I coded COMAND to enable rear camera. I checked COMAND engineering menu (OK+7+Mute) - detects reverse gear engaged. I get video signal coming out on Pin 5 & 6 of N66/10 going to COMAND when reverse is engaged. Checked coding in CGW, and REAR SAM - everything there looks good too. I did not see any options for adding coding for option 218 Backup Camera anywhere but COMAND.

I also checked power (+) to the camera - there is only 6V there when reverse is engaged, but there is video signal going to the COMAND out of N66/10 (i checked by connecting an external lcd monitor to Pins 5 & 6 in parallel).

My problem is that when I engage reverse, nothing happens - no black screen, no camera video.

Any thoughts? Please help.
Attached Files
Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 AM

W164
Resistance between pins 1 & 7

I checked resistance between the wires going to Pin 1 and Pin 7 on the back of the MCSII Comand - showing open. Is this typical for a Comand not set up for video-in or is there an open somewhere in the harness?

I'm not getting 75 Ohms...