M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

06 ML350 Grinding Noise When Driving

Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML350 Grinding Noise When Driving

Mine is an 06 ML350. It's been an excellent car so far.
But lately, it starts giving some strange, unusual noise.
For a couple days, when the car is speeding up above 25 mph, there is a noticeable grinding noise coming from under. The grinding frequency increases/decreases with speed (like the sound of something stuck within a fan).
The grinding noise is still heard when the engine is turn off, with the car coasting in neutral.
Have anybody experienced the same thing ?
LeroyMB
Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 AM

possibly wheel barrings? look under the car to make sure nothing is dragging, but take to a mechanic asap for grinding noises if you can't visually see the problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I would lean towards the brake system depending on the last brake service. To test the wheels bearings, drive along about 25-30 mph. Cut the wheel back and forth hard enough to shift the weight onto each front wheel. If a front bearing or hub is bad, you will hear and feel it.
To check the brakes for a frozen caliper, 25-30 mph and left go of the wheel and see if the vehicle pulls left or right. If no pull, with hands off the wheel, ease the brakes on and observe.
Third, get the car up off the ground and give the wheels a spin. It must be in neutral obviously, use wheel stops or all four up on stands at once.
Visually inspect the brake rotors for obvious gouging and/or uneven wear.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the answers
It was the front right wheel bearing that creates the noise
MB service charged $700.00 to repack the bad bearing
L
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM

2008 ML350 4matic
Ouch ! 700.00 sounds like you got repacked too......sorry to hear but glad it's fixed.
The following users liked this post:
ocgigolo (04-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML320, 2010 Ford F150
My grinding noise turned out to be the front differential and it is being repaired now.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
Oh my....sounds very expensive, please post a cost if you dont mind.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 PM

ML-320 and ML-350
ML-350 year 2006

Hello Leroy,

I bought a used ML350 from MB owned SMART CAR dealership three months ago. It has only 45K miles. I did not bother to get it checked by the third party mechanic thinking how the MB related people can cheat me. Anyway, within days I started hearing a grinding noise like something stuck in the front tires. I hardly drove the car. I brought it back to the dealer and their mechanic said it has something to do with the front-right brake rotter. The sales person who sold me the car wasn't there to take care of it and then think its a minor problem I decided to return later. All of a sudden I had to take a trip overseas and on my return when I went back the dealership was alredy shut down and moved to their main operations in San Francisco. I took the car there and they looked at it and found nothing wrong with the brakes or the car. Trusting them I brought the car back to hear the same noise again withing hours. I brought the ML-350 back to the dealership and drove with a mechanic and with Gos's grace he acknowledged hearing the sound that was bothering me. They kept the vehicle overnight for more investigation and gave me the bad news next day that the front differentials are broken and to be replaced at the cost of $4200!! MB USA won't take care of it as I bought it used from Smart Cars and "As is"!! When they say as is..that doesn't mean they had declared the problem beforehand. Anyway, I will have to fight this battle or cough up $4200 to take care ogf it.

Originally Posted by LeroyMB
Mine is an 06 ML350. It's been an excellent car so far.
But lately, it starts giving some strange, unusual noise.
For a couple days, when the car is speeding up above 25 mph, there is a noticeable grinding noise coming from under. The grinding frequency increases/decreases with speed (like the sound of something stuck within a fan).
The grinding noise is still heard when the engine is turn off, with the car coasting in neutral.
Have anybody experienced the same thing ?
LeroyMB
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM
rj1

Mercedes ML350
My 2006 ML350 has 27,500 miles and now is also is making a loud metal against metal grinding noise that appears to be coming from wheels (maybe). I noticed noise happening only twice on slight incline, but also occurred on level pavement. May be happening at higher speeds, but can clearly hear it when going slower. Doesn't happen all the time. Took it to the dealer, but the noise didn’t occur for the mechanic. 25 minutes on the road after leaving the dealer, a slight burning smell was noticed along with the noise. Pulled off the road into a parking lot and turned off the vehicle for 45 minutes. Upon restart and continuing 25 minute further drive to home, no problem was experienced. Will return to dealer. Hoping metal-grinding problem is not a differential or great expense issue. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 AM

sl550
I feel your pain.

I had the exact same thing happen to my 2008 ML320CDI. Same noise, at 25mph+ it sounded like I was the flight leader on a B-29 bombing run. Then the MB dealer dropped the real bomb. The front differential is bad. The unit costs $2900. Luckily it is still under warranty. However, it makes and extend warranty look mighty attractive...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Originally Posted by rj1
My 2006 ML350 has 27,500 miles and now is also is making a loud metal against metal grinding noise that appears to be coming from wheels (maybe). I noticed noise happening only twice on slight incline, but also occurred on level pavement. May be happening at higher speeds, but can clearly hear it when going slower. Doesn't happen all the time. Took it to the dealer, but the noise didn’t occur for the mechanic. 25 minutes on the road after leaving the dealer, a slight burning smell was noticed along with the noise. Pulled off the road into a parking lot and turned off the vehicle for 45 minutes. Upon restart and continuing 25 minute further drive to home, no problem was experienced. Will return to dealer. Hoping metal-grinding problem is not a differential or great expense issue. Any ideas?
How did you end up going with this problem?

My ML has started making a metal on metal grinding noise. Appears to be coming from the left side and i've noticed that I can only hear it when going straight ahead or turning right. Turning left makes the noise go away.

Only noticeable at low speeds and there is no vibration or other noises, even on the freeway, so I don't think its the front diff. I had the diff oil done 8000 klms ago as well and there were no filings in it.

My guess is a left hand front wheel bearing or disc dust sheild rubbing.

Car is it at Benz tomorrow so I hope they can find it.

Last edited by schmick325; 04-20-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,167 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Front differential issue

Originally Posted by Rohit Singh
Hello Leroy,

I bought a used ML350 from MB owned SMART CAR dealership three months ago. It has only 45K miles. I did not bother to get it checked by the third party mechanic thinking how the MB related people can cheat me. Anyway, within days I started hearing a grinding noise like something stuck in the front tires. I hardly drove the car. I brought it back to the dealer and their mechanic said it has something to do with the front-right brake rotter. The sales person who sold me the car wasn't there to take care of it and then think its a minor problem I decided to return later. All of a sudden I had to take a trip overseas and on my return when I went back the dealership was alredy shut down and moved to their main operations in San Francisco. I took the car there and they looked at it and found nothing wrong with the brakes or the car. Trusting them I brought the car back to hear the same noise again withing hours. I brought the ML-350 back to the dealership and drove with a mechanic and with Gos's grace he acknowledged hearing the sound that was bothering me. They kept the vehicle overnight for more investigation and gave me the bad news next day that the front differentials are broken and to be replaced at the cost of $4200!! MB USA won't take care of it as I bought it used from Smart Cars and "As is"!! When they say as is..that doesn't mean they had declared the problem beforehand. Anyway, I will have to fight this battle or cough up $4200 to take care ogf it.
How did this get resolved? You'll see another thread here and at Benzworld about '06 differentials going out at low miles. Seems to be a trend, and I'm afraid mine may be one of them.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM

2006 C280 & ML350
2006 ML350 Grinding noise

Well, I have gone through the same routine as some of the above have gone through. I bought the car at 45,000 miles still under warranty. I started hearing grinding noise. I took it to dealer and told him about the noise. The dealer said nothing wrong with the vehicle it may be the tires making noise. I asked to check wheel bearings. They said it is fine. By the time it got worse, I was at 55,000 miles and out of warranty. I changed the tires but the noise continued. Finally, at service B dealer told me there is grinding noise because of a bad differential. Total cost $3,500. I should have second opinion but I trusted my dealer and have it replaired. 1 week after replacing differential, the noise came back. I took it back to dealer. Guess what! now it is a bad bearing. Repair cost $600. I believe it was misdiagnosed to begin with and they replaced the differential for no reason. In essence, have second opinion before you approve expensive repairs. Also, if you are having differential repaired, have them replace the bearings as well. May be it cheaper that way and avoid future troubles. Suspect the bearings first. By the way, it drive nice and very quiet after the bearing replacement. Too early to tell but I will update my post.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skpatel
Well, I have gone through the same routine as some of the above have gone through. I bought the car at 45,000 miles still under warranty. I started hearing grinding noise. I took it to dealer and told him about the noise. The dealer said nothing wrong with the vehicle it may be the tires making noise. I asked to check wheel bearings. They said it is fine. By the time it got worse, I was at 55,000 miles and out of warranty. I changed the tires but the noise continued. Finally, at service B dealer told me there is grinding noise because of a bad differential. Total cost $3,500. I should have second opinion but I trusted my dealer and have it replaired. 1 week after replacing differential, the noise came back. I took it back to dealer. Guess what! now it is a bad bearing. Repair cost $600. I believe it was misdiagnosed to begin with and they replaced the differential for no reason. In essence, have second opinion before you approve expensive repairs. Also, if you are having differential repaired, have them replace the bearings as well. May be it cheaper that way and avoid future troubles. Suspect the bearings first. By the way, it drive nice and very quiet after the bearing replacement. Too early to tell but I will update my post.
What bearings are yhou referring to, wheel?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM

ML-350 2006
johnnike3

06 ML-350 B-29 Run 2. Bought car almost new in 06 12k miles and now went through Dealer diagnostic Flak attack Whining noise first diagnosed as wheel bearing elected to delay an see what developed 2 days later got God awful grinding noise on left front Shut it down an had towed to dealer they diagnosed front differential but first needed 4 wheel speed sensors to correct fault codes for ABS an ESP lights My response was I found it very unusual to think sensors went bad all at once when Front diff was causing speed problems to computer Paid 800 for sensors and having diff replaced by reasonable transmission shop 2006 were all standard with all wheel drive I hope this problem won't ever come back before I sell it. Pick up next week 68000miles. 5/1/2013
Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM

ML-350 2006
All OK after Diff replaced 3600 ouch
Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Mercedes c230
Solution

Used differential is not solution because bearings will fail sooner or later. Rebuilding differential by qualified mechanic using this kit is solution
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W164-ML-R-W251-FRONT-DIFFERENTIAL-4-BEARINGS-COMPLETE-KIT-WITH-503311-/181149228503?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d55ddd7&vxp=mtr
Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 AM

2006 ML500
Hello,

Does anyone know a shop or mechanic shop who would rebuild and replace bearings for my 2006 ML500 front differential? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
Many thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM

W164
Exclamation A Better Kit Available with instructions

There is a much better kit available. The bearings above have the original OEM Polish Made KLM503311 bearing race paired with what looks like an LM503349 bearing cone made in France.

You should never mix and match bearing sets. Furthermore, from the information I have, the KLM503349 cannot be bought separate from the KLM503311. So where this guy is getting them separately, I don't know. China? There is a good chance that these bearings will fail due to the fact that they are assembled from odds and ends that came from different factories. Stay safe and buy the OEM ones. You can get them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-12-Mercedes-ML-W164-Front-Differential-Bearings-Hard-To-Find-Not-Sold-in-US-/121224489131?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c398ae8ab&vxp=mtr
I've also written and posted a procedure on how to rebuild a differential on the W164, X164, and W251. You can find the procedure here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...l-rebuild.html

and here as well:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164...ferential.html

I published this article back in February of 2013 in the hopes that it will help someone out there. I hope it does.

Cheers.

Last edited by NewMLGuy; 01-19-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM

W164
Smile Sure, I'll do it.

Originally Posted by joehong2002
Hello,

Does anyone know a shop or mechanic shop who would rebuild and replace bearings for my 2006 ML500 front differential? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
Many thanks.
Hey John,

If you get stuck you can always send it up to me in Canada. I'll do it for you.

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM

W164
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Unfortunately there is a dishonest person on this forum who sells bearings to unsuspecting, trusting people on eBay. I must warn you about this person and provide everyone here with proof to back my words!

So here it goes:

His handle on MBWorld.org is lasicm. On eBay his user name is also lasicm. He was recently banned from Benzworld.org where his handle was mostar1. He was banned for harassing members, including filling my thread with garbage rants about how his USA Timken bearings are real and mine are fake. Since he was banned from Benzworld, he has taken the fight here, where he continues badmouthing me. He has gone as far as stealing the procedure I wrote and published on Benzworld almost a year ago and posted it here telling everyone that he wrote it and that I’m the copy-cat. He has copied it with spelling errors and all!! [BTW Dan, that’s not how you spell Methyl Hydite!] His real name is Dan and he is from Houston, TX.

He found a bearings supplier in China who manufactures these hard to find bearings for him and sells them on eBay as the real thing. He used to tell everyone that the bearings he sells are Made in USA (see a photo below of his old eBay listing). Now he tells everyone that they are made in France, which is a lie. TheseKLM503349/11 bearings are only made in Poland.

You should never mix and match bearing sets! Furthermore, from the information I have, the KLM503349 cannot be bought separate from the KLM503311. So where this guy is getting them separately, I don't know. China? For sure! There is a good chance that these bearings will fail due to the fact that they are assembled from odds and ends that came from different factories. Stay safe and buy the OEM ones.

His KLM503311 race (or bearing cup) looks to be the only authentic Polish made Timken, but the bearing cone he is putting in with it is 150% a replica.

Please see the picture below which explains how to tell areal bearing from a fake.

I sell the genuine Timken Poland Bearings in a set I put together along with Genuine USA Made NTN bearings. You can find this set here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2006-12-Mercedes-ML-W164-Front-Differential-Bearings-Hard-To-Find-Not-Sold-in-US-/121224489131?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item1c398ae8ab

The genuine bearings that are guaranteed to last at least as long as the original ones (so approx 100,000miles) if assembled correctly, meanwhile Dan is charging $320 for a set of bearings made in China! Which one wouldyou put in your vehicle? I think we allknow the answer.

If you are looking for instructions, specs, torque specs,etc., I've written and posted a procedure on how to rebuild a differential onthe W164, X164, and W251. You can find the procedure here: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/522199-2006-2012-w164-successful-front-differential-rebuild.html#post5859305

In that same thread, I’ve posted an excerpt from a post published by a retired bearing failure analysis engineer on another forum. There you can find more evidence on how to tell a real bearing from a fake and that Lacism’s bearings are fake.

Due to forum rules, I’m not allowed to post links to other forums, but if you need more info, just look up my threads on here as well as Benzworld.

As for lasicm’s claim that he wrote the procedure - again, just go to the other forum and look at the date of when it was first published by me – February 22, 2013. I have thesame handle there, if anyone is interested.

Cheers to everyone and I hope that my rebuild procedure helps someone out there as well as this article helps steer someone clear of Lasicm’s bearings, because they will fail.

I am a licensed and certified mechanic. I wrote and published the procedure after rebuilding my own ML500’s front diff with almost the same cheap bearings I sell on eBay. It’s been good now for almost a year, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help.

Good luck to all and god bless.

To view the pictures, please check my other thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/522199-2006-2012-w164-successful-front-differential-rebuild.html

Last edited by NewMLGuy; 01-19-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 PM

W164
A little more on this subject. I just got this little bit of news and wanted to share with everyone. This article was just brought to my attention:

COUNTERFEIT BEARINGS SEIZED AT TORONTO AIRPORT

as well as this little bit of new here:

http://www.stopfakebearings.com

So as a result, I've pulled my eBay listings containing the cheaper aftermarket bearings. And I will be looking to source these from another manufactuer. I'll let everyone know if and when they become available.

The original Timken and NTN bearings are always available at the link above.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
C230 Sport Coup + 2006 W164 ML350 + 99 Ford Escort (What the heck, it gets 38 mpg!)
Ladies and Gentleman, unfortunately this guy is a diick! I think your aggressive attitude and constant reposting of how the other guys is dishonest is quite disagreeable!
Oddly, both have 100% pos feedback on ebay, and sell slightly different bearings and neither is a sponsor. Mods, aren't you gonna give these chuckleheads a warning, or is 164 forum, unmoderated?
Well looks like neither has posted in a while.

Originally Posted by NewMLGuy
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Unfortunately there is a dishonest person on this forum who sells bearings to unsuspecting, trusting people on eBay. I must warn you about this person and provide everyone here with proof to back my words!

Last edited by C230 Sport Coup; 05-22-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
C230 Sport Coup + 2006 W164 ML350 + 99 Ford Escort (What the heck, it gets 38 mpg!)
I found my bearings without going through these chuckleheads for a better price, a kit that included the seals which are definately needed by searching on KLM503349 on ebay.
Will have pics of the bad bearings soon, ML is in the shop!
Meanwhile here's the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W164-ML-R-GL-FRONT-DIFFERENTIAL-REBUILD-KIT-NOT-SOLD-IN-US-KLM503311-/321468833042?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad9091d12&vxp=mtr

Last edited by C230 Sport Coup; 08-05-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C230 Sport Coup
I found my bearings without going through these chuckleheads for a better price, a kit that included the seals which are definately needed by searching on KLM503349 on ebay.
Will have pics of the bad bearings soon, ML is in the shop!
Meanwhile here's the link.
Mercedes ml R GL Front Differential Rebuild Kit| eBay
Hopefully all turned out well.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 ML350 Grinding Noise When Driving