M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Center console storage compartment spring weighting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML 350
Center console storage compartment spring weighting?

Hi Everyone:

We just got a 2007 ML 350 certified pre-owned vehicle on Friday for my wife. We absolutely love the car. I have a question about the center console/ hand rest storage compartment and what the lid to the storage compartment, or I guess the arm rest, should feel like when opening and closing. Ours is not spring loaded at all. It has now twice closed on my wrist while I was looking for something in the storage bin, and frankly hurt like hell. In most cars I've had, this is spring loaded so that you have to close it yourself gently, but in this one it isn't spring loaded. Is that normal, or is it broken, in which case I can get it fixed under warranty?

Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

Torbach
Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
The storage compartment lid is not counter weighted or spring assisted. The MB engineers utilize gravity to allow the lid to close... appears you found this out the hard way. However, the lid should "click" into position when full up (slightly past 90 deg).

The lid then should not fall down on its own and will take some assistance from you to bring it off the full upright position.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Mercedes Benz ML 350
Hi u001elg:

Thanks a lot for your response. Yes, that does help. That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. In some of the other newer cars and older sedans, this seems to not be the case. But as you pointed out, as long as I push it past 90 degrees, it should be ok. There is something else broken in my case that does not let this center console lock itself at all, but it's just a piece of plastic that broke off where the latch would lock itself and only affects it because that means this console storage compartment doesn't latch itself closed. No big deal.

Thanks again
Tamir
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 PM

2008 ML 320 cdi
The console latch on my ML has now broken off for the second time. I'm going in again to get it replaced under warranty.