M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

melting steering buttons & headlight switch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Something is breaking down the coating.
Cleaning it off is only 1/2 the fix since the coating is put on to protect the labeling and underlying colored finish.

New switches are the fix.

Someone at MB (or their OEM) screwed up.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML300 CDI
I have exactly the same problem light switch is soft and gooey. Not sure when it happened but may be recently. I cleaned the dash including the light switch with armour all protect it seemed to happen after that.

Anyone else experience problems with armour all protect?

I am thinking of buying a new switch plate as if I wipe the goo off I am sure I will have wiped away a layer that was meant to protect something.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 PM
SMS

E240
if it is just only one or two buttons, replace it. unless you are anticipating more to surface. Maybe you can check the new surface creation to protect the plastic from melting off or even it starts to melts. it is posted on the youtude, you may want to check it out yourself.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes ML 350
Originally Posted by BruNo
i have cleaned mine as well, the one that melted is actually the clearcoating of the plastic surface. i just scrubbed it off with rubbing alcohol. now my buttons looks brandnew.
I think when that coating "melts" it is a reaction to some "care product" it came in contact with .
Lot of people have that problem - lot of people do not !
It happened on my car also and after searching the net I cleaned it with Goo Gone and had no problem since . That was about one or two years ago .
Best of all - what was black back then is still black today . The icons are also still there .
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 PM

ML320
Thanks guys, I thought I was alone with this problem.

The plastic around the steering wheel buttons and also the light switch on the dash have all suffered with this problem, "melting plastic".

I tried rubbing a small area with Turpentine and it seems to have done the trick, but I haven't followed up on it as I worry that Turps may be too harsh.

I will try the suggested "Goo Gone" product and see how I go.

I always thought that the plastic may have reacted to the leather surface protectant, so have stopped using it near the affected plastic.

Thanks guys for your feedback, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in the playpen.

Peter.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 AM

2006 Mercedes ML 350
Peter when you consider that over six thousand people clicked on this topic, you know that you are not the only one with this problem
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 AM

ML320
melting steering buttons & headlight switch?

Thanks beerJ.

With over 6,000 hits on this forum alone I wonder whether MB are aware and may be addressing this problem?

Has MB addressed this issue with a recall or extended warranty in your country?

I have used a product called 'Goof-Off' in Oz which is the same as 'Goo-Gone' in your country.

It works well, removes the 'goo', but a word of warning: Don't rub too hard for too long as you will rub through the surface and into the plastic under-surface. It has an acetone base so needs to be used carefully and sparingly.

Good luck.

Peter.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 PM

ML320
Thanks to all for your replies.

Current state of play: I have tried cleaning the plastic and whilst it took off the surface stickiness there is still a lesser stick residue remaining. I would not be surprised if MB hadn't at some time recalled this model but I have never heard.
I have approached MB (via my dealer) and requested a replacement of all 3 switches and housings at their expense.
My dealer is waiting for a reply.

Thanks again,

Pete.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 PM

2006 Mercedes ML 350
Though I think what Mercedes response will be - I am looking forward to be proven wrong
Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 PM

CL600
happens as a natural deterioration of the material used for and/or on the buttons. goo gone works really well to dislodge the goo. i followed up with 91% isopropyl alcohol and the goo gone and the goo came off easily. typical 70% alcohol sold in drug stores won't work, needs to be 90+%, also can be purchased at the drug store. now good as new!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 PM

2006 Mercedes ML 350
[QUOTE=Mercdz ML;6412781]Thanks to all for your replies.

Current state of play: I have tried cleaning the plastic and whilst it took off the surface stickiness there is still a lesser stick residue remaining. I would not be surprised if MB hadn't at some time recalled this model but I have never heard.
I have approached MB (via my dealer) and requested a replacement of all 3 switches and housings at their expense.
My dealer is waiting for a reply.

Thanks again,

Pete , what came of the dealer contacting Mercedes ?
Their response would be interesting
Old 02-20-2018, 08:01 PM

MB B180 W245 2010
Originally Posted by Firenza
WTF......, don't ever try to clean the clear-coating layer by using rubbing alcohol.
Yes, it can clean out the sticky layer, but unfortunately with a little bit more pressure while rubbing, the base-paint (black) also came off.....!!
Just came back from dealer and replaced a brand new set of control buttons. (Special request from dealer and they gave me 30% off discount....=USD$:500 including labour cost).

do you have the part number??

Regards